Abilities you've never used

Jordon

Ever get those games where you take a model you've take a dozen times and you use an ability you've never used before? It got me thinking of abilities that I know about but have never actually used for one reason or another. Of coarse I'm only talking about models that you use regularly as newer models take time to experience their full effect.

Skinwalker (Myranda) - It's been out since wave 1 but I've never once taken it. She's just too valuable on the table to be cooped up underground. I've never really seen a reason to ever take this over imbued energies.

Vent Boiler (Rail Golem) - This model has a (0) other than locomotion? Go figure

Smell Weakness (Acolyte) - This model does something other than shoot? Go figure

Stalk (Sabertooth) - I just always try to leap even if I don't really have a reason too

Devour (Hoarcat) - Too many stipulations for a Ml4 attack. Its way easier to use their other attack

Frozen touch (Silent One) - Yeah there is no practical reason to ever use this

Arrest Him (Mouse) - Once something gets roped, it's usually pointless arresting them

Buzz Saw (Brass Arachnid) It's almost always better trying to stoke in my experience 

Philosophers Stone (upgrade) - Has anyone from any faction ever taken one of these upgrades?

Anyone else have similar experiences with models you've use a bunch of times? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jordon said:

Vent Boiler (Rail Golem) - This model has a (0) other than locomotion? Go figure

Smell Weakness (Acolyte) - This model does something other than shoot? Go figure

Stalk (Sabertooth) - I just always try to leap even if I don't really have a reason too

Devour (Hoarcat) - Too many stipulations for a Ml4 attack. Its way easier to use their other attack

Frozen touch (Silent One) - Yeah there is no practical reason to ever use this

Arrest Him (Mouse) - Once something gets roped, it's usually pointless arresting them

Buzz Saw (Brass Arachnid) It's almost always better trying to stoke in my experience 

Philosophers Stone (upgrade) - Has anyone from any faction ever taken one of these upgrades?

Anyone else have similar experiences with models you've use a bunch of times? 

I've used Vent Boiler to set up card draw for Kaeris on the first turn, then used some other models to get some burning on the Rail Golem. If you are not going to alpha strike with it I don't think it has to Locomote the first turn.

Frozen Touch gives Silent One a disengaging strike, Ml 3 may suck but it's better than nothing.

I've never taken Philosopher's Stone, but in theory it's not that terrible. 1 SS and a (0) to draw two cards is ok for Masters with few and/or sucky (0) actions, the real problem IMO is that Arcane Reservoir, Seize the Day, and Master specific upgrades are sooooooo much better. :P

---

I wish I will some day remember to use Angelica's walk after initiative ability...

I don't understand why anyone would use an upgrade slot (and pay 2 SS) for December's Pawn.

Born of Fire and Powered by Flame are too expensive at 2 SS (BoF also suffers from lack of Master slots).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jordon said:

Ever get those games where you take a model you've take a dozen times and you use an ability you've never used before? It got me thinking of abilities that I know about but have never actually used for one reason or another. 

If the flip was cheatable they would be good IMHO because they would allow you to stop a lot of potentially autohitting attacks for a 6 and a stone

@Bengt my Rasputina player uses it often. The amounts of good it brought him is worth more than 2 SS :P

I Vent Boiler'ed fairly regularly as the start of my turn 1 G&D Kaeris setup (although now Carlos can do it without giving up his Burning with Stunt Double).  One time he was hit with one of those "no attacks" conditions so double walked and Vented on the enemy crew (who all passed the TN... lol).  It's way less useful, but still has its place kinda.

Upgrades I've never used:

Joss' Open Current.  If I'm taking Joss he's carrying BET and I don't want to take a 2nd upgrade just for a competing 0.

Ramos' Combat Mechanic or Electrical Creation.  He has so many good upgrades I don't want to burn through more Scrap or summon such fragile models.

Rasputina's December's Pawn.  Expensive, and extremely specific in when it's valuable.

Philosopher's Stone I've actually used with Wrath leading the C7 before but it was pretty terrible, haha.

I take December's Pawn vs Ressers pretty much all the time. Any time I know I'm gonna be possibly hitting negative flips I'll bring it. 

I've never used Stalk, just because chances are getting Cerberus further up the board out of activation means its gonna die. 

I don't think I've ever used Toni's Flaming Bottle attack, never even taken the upgrade. 

I once used the Brass Arachnids Buzz Saw to do the game winning (Dig Their Graves) point of damage I needed. Not ideal but sometimes you have to use the tools remaining at your disposal.

I ran Joss with Open Current to 2nd place in a 14 player HH Tournament. Open Current plus card drain from a December Acolyte set up my Steam Arachnid Swarm to get 4-6 attacks per Charge pretty well killing whatever it came in contact with.

The local Joss has been using Open Current quite a lot. Mainly versus Reva herself. (I think that pair of players is up to 10+ games of Colette vs. Reva, sieving through all the possibilities.)

I've used the tiny weaponry of the Mobile Toolkit for those times when it was all I had left and I really needed to ignore armor. Once got the killshot on Von Schill for Assassinate. :D

Nobody has gotten the acolyte to land Smell Weakness on my beloved peacekeeper, but it wasn't for want of trying.