Unlocking NBLucius, one player's journey

4thstringer

12 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

I'm thinking about using Lucius as bait, and having Nekima waiting.

If I know my opponent, McCabe will be in my face turn 1 too.

Illuminated and fish for a mask, if it's a low one vit your own model then place that marker so both McCabe andYasinori are close to it then smack qith illuminated?

Here's my planned crew

50 SS Neverborn Crew
Lucius + 7 Pool
 - Aether Connection (1)
 -useless duplications (1)
The Scribe (2)
Barbaros (10)
Doppleganger (7)
The Illuminated (7)
The Illuminated (7)
Waldgeist (6)
Waldgeist (6)

(exported from CrewFaux)

I like the survivability of this crew,  And the potential to kill a bunch with the illuminated.  I think if I get yas to the face I'll try to bog him down with waldgeist.(I just realized I've been misspelling waldergeist for a while).

1 minute ago, 4thstringer said:

Here's my planned crew

50 SS Neverborn Crew
Lucius + 7 Pool
 - Aether Connection (1)
 -useless duplications (1)
The Scribe (2)
Barbaros (10)
Doppleganger (7)
The Illuminated (7)
The Illuminated (7)
Waldgeist (6)
Waldgeist (6)

(exported from CrewFaux)

I like the survivability of this crew,  And the potential to kill a bunch with the illuminated.  I think if I get yas to the face I'll try to bog him down with waldgeist.(I just realized I've been misspelling waldergeist for a while).

Do you really need a 7 SS cache since Lucius can devil's deal SS?  Maybe drop a couple to add an upgrade or two to Lucius and/or Barbaros.

Funny this is mentioned as I kind of ran into this problem today in a game with Lucius vs Nicodem.  I pulled fairly poor hands all 4 turns, I only had 4ss Pool so I ended up SS for cards twice and initiative once *I needed to beat a 5... flipped the RJ*.  I really wanted to SS for cards on turn 4 but also was worried about Initiative, not to mention I was pretty sure I was going to need a SS to deal with some Suit requirements.  While I won I could really feel pressure as he went in with 6 or 7ss in his pool and was able to SS for cards more.

Another use for those seven stones,  in my game using that crew.  I dumped them into keeping barbaros alive. His challenge aura meant in a six round game I only lost him and the scribe (1 shot on a rj).   

The waldgeists lived up to their reps, engaging from a distance and soaking hit after hit.  Lucius's elite training aura really let me save cards for defense too. 

Guild Intel was the mvp, letting me get search the ruins while denying it from titania. And that is without legalese.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Another use for those seven stones,  in my game using that crew.  I dumped them into keeping barbaros alive. His challenge aura meant in a six round game I only lost him and the scribe (1 shot on a rj).   

The waldgeists lived up to their reps, engaging from a distance and soaking hit after hit.  Lucius's elite training aura really let me save cards for defense too. 

Guild Intel was the mvp, letting me get search the ruins while denying it from titania. And that is without legalese.

I guess you didn't bother attacking her? Seems like she would heal up fast in a strat like that :) I imagine Lucius can counter her aura somewhat by making your models remove markers before activating.

I did some marker removal like that,  which was fairly inefficient ap wise but a huge disappointment for my opponent.   Found myself really missing condition removal,  As at different moments during the game I Was slowed, paralyzed,  obsessed with titania (don't remember the name of that one).  Lots of conditions.   I assume Johan is still the best condition removal option for nb?

I've got a murderthon scheme set for Thursday- Extraction with FFM, Accusation, Quick Murder and Eliminate the leader (though it is tempting to build swampthings heavy and try to out tough my opponent).

Im thinking Nekima with rapid growth, Mature, 3 tots, and one of the following 1. doppelganger, 2. 2 changelings, or 3. bbs.  

I haven't done the grow thing yet, which is why I wanted to do it here(why is rapid growth rare 1?).

I ended up running the crew above, but with 2 changelings and 2 fk trappers instead of the tots.  I also dropped rapid growth.

I played against a McCabe crew which was going to try to do the non-killy schemes.  2 dogs and luna, yas, sun quon, tc warrior and a katanaka.

I sniped sun quon off the board turn 1 (one hit was a red joker), and he ended up having frame, so that was 2 points.  everyone moved up, with the dogs running to a corner to do claim jump.  

The mature took 2 wounds from the katanaka turn 1.

Yasenori kicked recalled training and charged the Mature.  Luckily for me, Yas missed his 3rd attack, despite being on double positives.  He spent a severe to make his second hit severe, so I was down to two wounds.  He was able to finish the mature with the katanaka, but not before a matures flurry completely killed the yasenori.  I used lucius to move nekima into position to charge mccabe, and my opponent moved luna in.   That meant when I dehorsed McCabe with a RJ  I got to kill luna with my free hit which flipped severe.  Since I had Eliminate and quick murder, that was 5 points between McCabe and Yas.  I had extraction pretty much locked down.  My opponent managed to get 1 for claim, and one for extraction.

At the start of the next turn, Nekima finished McCabe off, as well as a dog and paralyzed the TC warrior.

We called it at that point, realizing I would get my 10 and he wasn't going to get any more, we called it.  Lucky cards did serious work for me.

The FK still do serious work with lucius and changelings.  A bunch of blocking terrain kept me from doing a bunch of damage to the targets I wanted first turn, but taking out sun quon was a serious demoralizing moment for my opponent.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2017 at 7:33 AM, 4thstringer said:

I assume Johan is still the best condition removal option for nb?

Yeah pretty much.

The emissary can smack your own models around to remove conditions with a trigger and I guess you could use the Scion but I wouldn't recommend it.

Johan has the added bonus of bringing another good attack for the Doppleganger to use and can put some real pain out with FGF or Retribution's eye if you play him forward (obvious with 1kFaces if you have a spare)

Ive got a game tonight with corner, guard the stash, claim jump, eliminate the leadership, accusation, hidden trap, and Last stand.  Seeing the opportunity to try last stand, I'm considering trying out some of the big beaters for NB.  Heres what I am thinking

Lucius with wings of darkness

flying teddy

barbaros with malifaux provides

mature neph

nekima with malifaux provides

I'm thinking that the hardest thing to do is not kililng too much.

On 3/6/2017 at 9:15 AM, 4thstringer said:

Ive got a game tonight with corner, guard the stash, claim jump, eliminate the leadership, accusation, hidden trap, and Last stand.  Seeing the opportunity to try last stand, I'm considering trying out some of the big beaters for NB.  Heres what I am thinking

Lucius with wings of darkness

flying teddy

barbaros with malifaux provides

mature neph

nekima with malifaux provides

I'm thinking that the hardest thing to do is not kililng too much.

I have been wanting to play that list (possibly swapping Barbaros for something else like Lazarus) - I'm glad to see that you murdered them with it. ;)  I feel like the super elite NB crew is definitely something that would be fun to play.  

• Like 1

Pretty sure Lucius cannot hire Lazarus.  On page 72 of the rulebook under dual faction models "Some models have two Faction symbols shown on the associated stat cards.  These models count as both Factions for the purpose of hiring"

I mean, if I was Lazarus I would be Salty with Lucius even if he waltzed up to me with a bunch of neverborn rather than guild guard.

• Like 2

The more I play lucius the more I enjoy using nekima with him.  I ran a grow list today with lucius(wings, aether), nekima with true mother and thousand faces, mature with thousand faces, a shaman, a tot, and a young.

Nekima and the mature gain so much from the additional attack lucius can provide.  Im straight up out brawling crews with them.

23 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

I dont play big z, but I would say yes because lucius gets a walk out of it too, and can use thats what lackeys are for with them too.  I havent had the black ruin me on one of these yet, but im sure its coming.

Lucky you, last game with Lucius the BJ came up twice for me on the walk *First turn and third turn*

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

I have a general love of grow lists.  I want them to work so bad.  I do think that one thousand faces opens up the grow list in a way that wasn't around before.  I'll report back on how tonight's game goes as long as the snow doesn't keep me away from the gaming club.

I'm so with you.  I'm very close to doing two Autumn Knights, Lilitu, Lelu, a couple tots and BBS as a pounce-crazy grow-list bundle.