Schemes & Stones The Future of Malifaux

Khyodee

this is a good podcast and was interesting listening to experienced players talk about a game I've only just started.

when you talking about new players, I feel that as a new player the hardest part is getting used to what each model can do.  your podcast is a big piece of information that has been helping me especially when it comes to listening to the masters.  What feels like the hardest part of the game is making lists that are balanced enough for different scheme pools,  I'm currently at the stage of learning where I basically have 2 or 3 lists per master with the hope they are able to fulfil the scheme pool.

When you talk about Warhammer 40k or such you can see lists and I would like to see more things like this for from the community which helps players like myself. 

Re: reflip deployment abilities. No, thank you. When setting up a tournament I want to plan a table in accordance to the strats. For example: If I know that one round is standard deploy in Guard the Stash I know the possible locations of the Stash Markers (2x along this line or 2x along the perpendicular line), those possible locations double if the deployment could switch to corner or Flank and planning what terrain I can place in those locations becomes more difficult.

Re: MN tourney references, thanks for the shout out (there were a lot of them or at least references to events that occurred). I'll see you at Renegade. (I expect my marker back @admiralvorkraft ;) ... if you still have it)

• Like 1

I think sub factions are just an inevitable thing games need to keep growing.  In a way, that's what Masters are, but in Malifaux, we need stronger keyword synergies for it to substantially affect model diversity.  When a master has a strong affinity for thematic models, you see niche models see play like with Rasputina or Hoffman.  The problem is a lot of the strongest masters don't really interact with their crew that strongly, creating some of the all star lists where the Master doesn't have a significant impact on crew selection.

• Like 2

I've had my fingers crossed for a long time hoping for limited upgrades for masters and henchmen that can potentially totally change their play style. Pandora summoning sorrows and things like that.

Maybe the year that the Other Side gets released is a time for that, since their model sales can be based on the new game. I don't have an interest in playing, but there are definitely models I'd like to have just based on their look. 

On 21/10/2016 at 6:43 PM, LunarSol said:

I think sub factions are just an inevitable thing games need to keep growing.  

I found this idea interesting too, especilly in the case of arcanists as was mentionned in the podcast. I just can't see where Kaeris would end up though. M&SU? or the more mage-oriented subsection?

8 minutes ago, Franchute said:

I found this idea interesting too, especilly in the case of arcanists as was mentionned in the podcast. I just can't see where Kaeris would end up though. M&SU? or the more mage-oriented subsection?

It depends on how its done.  If you create literal subfactions you have plenty of potential for "dual subfaction" masters after all.  If you focus more on keyword synergies that's pretty much how you have to define your categories.  I do think if there was any reason to consider an M3E at this point, it would be with the intention of recategorizing models with keywords that would better create natural subfactions.  

• Like 1

On 21/10/2016 at 2:55 PM, Franchute said:

I like the ideas of exploiting more the limited-upgrade aspect of the game and printing some novels on the Malifaux universe. I am personnaly not a fan of erratas. I'm afraid that an official Malifaux ap would give incentives to publish new erratas more frequently.

Unfortunately I feel errata is a necessary evil when it comes to war games.  Wyrd tried to avoid it with M2E but even now we have the point where entire masters like Levi have errata.  TBH I think it might be time to go through the models and put out a proper, full M2E errata and address some of the problem models in the game (like rotten belles, who even Justin has admitted he would change if he could go back in time).  In fact, you've given me an idea for a thread...