The Delicacy of Plastic Rotten Belles [Pinning Issues]

Mister Feral

I'm having serious problems assembling my plastic Rotten Belles!  :wacko:

The arms and legs are just too thin. All my models use resin bases so the models just keep breaking off after I superglue them on. I tried to drill out holes for pinning but my usually right-sized drill bit is too big for the limbs.

How have you guys and gals assembled yours? Have you had to pin yours? If so what size drill bit is good? How do you keep yours from not breaking at the slightest amount of handling?

I've never had as much a problem assembling models as these.  :angry:

I have been using plastic cement. It melts the pieces into one piece so there are no joints to break. It takes longer for the glue to dry, over night, but the models don't break as easily. You have to glue bare plastic to bare plastic though.

• Like 1

Getting to them to attach to resin bases can be tricky.  I ended up having to pin Sybelle because of the weird angles she stands at and the case I kept her in.  Drilling the hole messed up the inside of one high heel pretty good, but it's tough to spot unless you pick her up and stare sideways into the gap in the foot.  With some good basing to hide it from the outside, I think it would have been totally invisible.

I have a set of bits that cover a broad range of miniature hole sizes   something like this  http://www.micromark.com/the-rogers-drill-bit-set-61-80-set-of-20,8027.html  and I have a selection of phosphor bronze wires to match many of the ole sizes available to me.  even with really small diameters I can find a wire strong enough to serve without wrecking the limb I drill into.  BTW I also use a hand=held pin vise to make sure I am drilling slow enough not to deform the area around which I am  drilling.

Dave

when i affixed my girlfriends belles( along with quite a few other models... candy, copycat, a few other smallish models) i used a spare piece of sprue the parts that affix the model to the larger sprue part, and plastic cemented it to the feet to make a "pin"  then just drilled an appropriate sized hole in the base( i used resin Secret weapon mini bases) and glued them that way   slight gap filling to touch up the base and have had o issues with them since

--Woe

I had alot of trouble with similar small limbs (10T oiran) in the end I just put a glob of green stuff into a mud puddle and sank their tiny feet into it. the glue contact points were far too small and the feet too petite to drill into so there wasnt really many other options available. The true scale looks nice but sometimes I wish i had a nice chunky hero scale foot to drill into

plastic glue does solve all assembly issues with the exception of tiny feet to resin bases. 

i've found gluing an object for the model to stand on, on the base gives you something better to pick the model up with... for example someone glued a barrel to a base, and then glued the zombie chihuahua to the barrel. by only picking the model up via the barrel, the chihuahua does not snap off.

for my plastic nurses i was able to drill a hole at an angle from the ball of the foot towards the ankle. i then use a piece of florist wire with a sharp bend as my pin. not sure what i'm gonna do for candy. i may take a piece of scrap plasticard, and chip it up to look like a piece of loose flagstone, glue that to the resin base, then plastic glue her tiny little feet to the new plasticard flagstone.

I had an issue with the Illuminated that has the big demon on his shoulders, he seems to be standing on his tiptoes. To solve this I drilled some 1.5mm holes into my resin base and deliberately left about 2mm of sprue on his feet to use as pins, he's still going strong now after a couple of months being in and out of my case. 

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and similar experiences!

I'm going to ditch the resin base idea and build my own base inserts for the Wyrd-branded bases I got in the box. I'm thinking something simple like cobblestones for my Resurrectionists. My idea is to pin each model's foot onto a cobblestone carved from spare plasticard, position and stick those to the base. After that, fill the gaps on the base with putty cobblestones. Hopefully that should keep the models secure.

I'm expecting a 0.50mm pinning set and some plastic Nurses to turn up tomorrow, to test my idea! If it works, then I'll brave trying to fix my Rotten Belles again.

Tombanjo, I already use a handheld pin vice anyway. :)

I had an issue with the Illuminated that has the big demon on his shoulders, he seems to be standing on his tiptoes. To solve this I drilled some 1.5mm holes into my resin base and deliberately left about 2mm of sprue on his feet to use as pins, he's still going strong now after a couple of months being in and out of my case.

This.

Instead of trying to attach pins to the feet, sculpt the sprue into the necessary pins. It requires a little forethought, but it works really well.

Failing that, either plastic-glue their feet to some sprue and embed that into the base, or get yourself a good quality epoxy.

This.

Instead of trying to attach pins to the feet, sculpt the sprue into the necessary pins. It requires a little forethought, but it works really well.

Failing that, either plastic-glue their feet to some sprue and embed that into the base, or get yourself a good quality epoxy.

I second the good quality epoxy. If you have a good setup that can hold a model in position (I have a multi directional fly fishing lure vice setup) then epoxy is probably the best bond you can have