Monkeyboy's Model Mayhem

monkeyboy30672

The marble looks really good! The Caber Thrower... not so much at the moment. You should paint him after you've finished borders for all your purple rugs.

The fire looks great - I really like how it gets darker up the longer flame. I'd personally go with bleached wood and darker earth, partially as that's what I'm used to seeing on a boardwalk. If you'd rather go with the wood tone you currently have you could try a greyish/sandy colour for the dust. Whatever you choose, I'm sure it'll look fantastic and I can't wait to see it. :)

Well, I warned you he's just a mess of paint currently, but you wanted to see him... :P Not sure I'll go back to him after revisiting the purple rug textures (*grumblegrumblepengrumble*), since I'm all jazzed about painting Malifaux currently. My Trollbloods were pushed to the back burner.

And I think you're right about the wood, Wings. I did something last night I should have done earlier... I googled for images of "wild west towns". The vast majority of images I saw have greyish bleached wood, though also very dusty and light-colored soil. So I will try that (maybe a little darker earth tone, though, just to give contrast) and see how it goes. I also thought Tiktaalik's idea of scorching the wood was pretty ingenious, too! I hadn't thought of that!

Thanks, everyone!

I am really looking forward to painting a ton this weekend!! No work to bring home! I have a lot of laundry to do, so I'll be switching loads and folding clothes when I need to take short breaks, for the sake of my back. I have a TERRIBLE habit of hunching over when I paint, and my back hates me for it. I'm like the Quasimodo of miniature painting...

Have you tried painting on a slanted desk? My back and shoulders used to start hurting pretty quickly when painting, but I've had no problems since getting a slanted desk.

Looking over this thread, and comparing the painting by the Dirty that I used to know vs what Monkeyboy is doing now, just impresses me to no end. You got good- really good!

I would second the advice about setting up your work area to encourage good posture. I raised my work table up a few inches using a couple of pieces of 4x4s and my back has been thanking me ever since. What makes me sad is how much I have to use an optivisor now to paint details that I used to be able to paint without wearing my glasses when i was in my 20's. Curses!

I bet you would make a great henchman for Maryland. I am betting Wyrd is probably more interested in your enthusiasm and the ability to finish painting a crew than whether you included a couple a nicely painted metal figures. I think there is a henchman in the Baltimore area- perhaps you could ask him about the process and what is involved once you start henching?

Thanks, Rage! It's interesting to hear what people thought of my painting in the past and where it's journeyed up until now. It's been a long and winding road, lemme tell ya...  :lol: Knowing Golden Demon winners and pestering them for critiques definitely helps! Like most things in life, "it's all about who you know"... 

Yeah, I really SHOULD set up my painting area differently. I paint from the sofa, leaning into a coffee table that is just about knee-height when sitting. Yes, yes, I know... Worst. Set up. Ever. But I can't paint without some sort of bits in the background, be it a movie playing, programs on cable TV going on, friends chatting, etc... And since I don't have a station to play my iPod (I just use it in the car to practice songs for the band while I drive), I need to sit in front of the TV so I don't go mad with the silence. I get distracted by silence, but some noise in the background helps be concentrate... Hahaha! I suppose it's similar to people from NYC who move suddenly to the rural areas of Montana... they can't sleep without the bustle of the nightlife on the streets pushing through their window. So, as a result, I hunch over a coffee table from my sofa, and my back hates me. I paint on a whim... I don't plan on when to paint nor set aside time to do it. I just get the itch and I go to it. That's why I don't always paint with friends or go somewhere to a better place with a better set-up. I have painted at the FLGS a few times, and I really like it there. It's just a it far and closed by 9pm. I usually paint for a few minutes somewhere between 8 and 10 at night during the week, when I can.

On the good side, I am thinking of finding a new apartment/house/abandoned alleyway in which to live, and when I settle on something, I will DEFINITELY make sure I have a more proper space for hobbying. As for now...  :-fate  :-fate for avoiding spinal terror...  :+fate  :+fate to damage. Sigh. Oh, the sacrifices I make for my art. Heehee

I also have bad eyes, and my opthamologist keeps begging me on her knees to get a jeweler's lupe to paint with. It's a great idea, though I am so used to just taking my glasses off to paint that it feels weird when I use a lupe. I have never bought one, but i've tried them out. She is just glad my eyes don't have any signs of diabetic retinopathy. That keeps her from yelling at me too much. 

The idea of being a henchman in MD still tugs at me a bit. I would love to do it. I'm just not sure if I have the time to dedicate to it yet. We'll see after I move house and have a more settled life. Lots of things are up in the air right now, hence, why I haven't posted much in the way of painted models recently... Sorry, guys. God... I feel like I'm hijacking and rambling on my own thread...!

• 4 weeks later...

Lastest musings:

Finished Purifying Flame (yes, that's a piece of paper used as a bounce card.... I'm too lazy to retake the photo)

PurifyingFlameSml.jpg

Sonnia... I'd especially like to know how the dusty dirt and the weathered wood seem:

SonniaSml.jpg

Alternate view:

Sonnia2Sml.jpg

I know they're not the best photos. But at least the ironing board looks nice and gets some use.  :D

I love the weathered wood! It looks nicely aged. The ground looks like the right colour, but doesn't necessarily look dusty. But that might just be that I'm hankering after some pigments to use and want to see how they'd work on your stuff first... The Purifying Flame looks great now it's finished.

Nice to see you again, Wings! :) How about some more painting work from you? Did you finish the marble area for your concubine on the Turkish rug?

Thanks for the kudos on the wood! I hope I can remember how I did it. I didn't take my models and paints on vacation with me! Good point about the earth not seeming so dusty... Maybe a bit of light drybrushing around on the wood to show it being blown around by the breeze...? Will pigments achieve that for me? I have never used them before, and I am not even sure how. I am sure I can get some of them here at work.

Glad you like the Purifying Flame! He was fun to do, though I don't think he's some of my best work. Sonnia isn't either. But they are good enough to game with, and that's all that matters, really. I'm painting the Guild crew more because I want to have 2 crews in case I apply to become a Henchman. Pandora's crew is much closer to my heart (as evidenced with Teddy... heehee). :D

Very little painting has been happening sadly. :( But I got a bit done yesterday so need to take photos and post them up. That'll take another week though... I miss living in the same place as my minis!

Did you have a nice holiday? Like I say I've never actually used pigments myself but they're often used for weathering and I really ought to start using them. It seems like they'd be perfect for getting that dusty appearance tying the wood in with the ground.

Yeah, I just read a tutorial about using pigments in a DRY application here, rather than wetting them with medium and making a paint out of them. Seems like it would be cool! Very messy to use, it seems... they get everywhere, like chalk pastels. I'll need to have my new hobby space before I do it (or set up a small area in the basement just for working with pigments). You don't live where your minis live?? How can you even get out of bed if they're not there to wish you a good morning??? Sacrilege, I say.

Holiday was nice. I go to Spain every year to see very close friends. I actually had my first ever lay-over in Heathrow this past Easter. I should have phoned and had a spot of lunch with you. ;) hehe  And maybe could have seen your models in person!! :lol:

Yeah... And I just don't have a dedicated space that would be adverse to the horrors of pigment dust, either. For the time being, on my Guild models I'll try a really soft drybrushing, if possible, and see how that works out. As soon as I get some time to paint, anyway... Maybe Saturday afternoon, if 'm lucky. Damn, I need to look for that Micro pen, too...

Well, next time I'm going through Heathrow, I'll definitely let you know. It's a weird airport... I could have used the company, actually. Especially someone who knows where they hell they are! :lol:

• 5 years later...

And so... after a rather extensive hiatus and Real Life(tm) intervening, I have climbed back onto the proverbial Malifaux horse. I have FINALLY finished painting my Pandora Crew, though these images aren't *quite* the finished product (I"m using new paints now, and some of the browns for the flooring didn't match up too well). But here the are, regardless:

Pandora

kliF21N.jpg

Poltergeist

NVL1G7Y.jpg

Candy

BPkvgSV.jpg

Baby Kade

aqQkluB.jpg

Teddy

D3lmcVJ.jpg

Sorrow

XHhwwaP.jpg

Full Crew, family shot

NGeD8Ek.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2014 at 2:52 PM, monkeyboy30672 said:

Well, I thought i'd post some photos of the models I've done, both in 1st and now in 2nd Edition... I have seem the BRILLIANT models that a lot of you guys have painted, and I know I don't compare, so please, any comments and criticism is more than welcomed! The photos aren't great, as I didn't have the pro equipment at home that I do now. I just made do with what I had lying around.

Here is a 1st Ed. Arcanists crew I painted for my now ex-wife. She never did get into playing, but I enjoyed painting these.

Snow Tiger Cerberus

CerberusFrntSml.jpg

CerberusLftSml.jpg

Ice Golem (weird incandescent yellowish hue in there, that was from a terrible light I used, along with my fluorescents... sorry about that)

IceGolemFrtSml.jpg

Rasputina

RasputinaFrntSml.jpg

RasputinaBckSml.jpg

Ice Gamin

IceGaminSml.jpg

And a Lilith crew that I was commissioned to do, but ended up not being able to finish it, because I was getting divorced at the time and didn't have the time to complete it. I still feel bad for that. But at least the ones I sent him were nicely done, I thought.

Cherub

MalifauxCherubFrtSml.jpg

Lilith

LilithFrtSml.jpg

And here's a shot of the Teddy figure that I finished last night for my new Pandora crew, just shot with my camera phone this morning...

Teddy1.jpg

A little small, and not shot well, but not bad for a phone.  :)

All of them very perfectly painted! Adored the cherubi and Teddy. Teddy will propably make me nightmares

• Like 2