So what is going plastic?

Gimzig

So, I'm not looking for insider information or anything, but Malifaux Mk2 has completely sold me, and as such, I'm going all in and replacing my current crews with the new awsome plastic ones.

So, Working on my guild atm... should I be expecting to replace my executioner, austringer's, guild guard and peacekeeper... orrrrr should I just go ahead and base/paint them?

They gonna go plastic or is it safe to spend some TLC on the metals?

Everything will be going plastic in time, but to fully release everything from both waves of M2E beta, and then the avatars in wave 3, will take a while.

No solid data, but a rough guess says it could well be GenCon 2015 by the time most/all of it is out. The metals are still valid as models (you can get the arsenal packs for the cards), but if you're definitely wanting to replace the metals with plastic then every model will get a plastic version eventually. Wyrd have said they've gone plastic and won't be going back for any model.

Which means you could either keep your metals (to use or to just have for painting or something), or sell/trade them off to get the new plastics as they come out. Some people prefer the metals so you should be able to find a buyer.

There's nothing wrong with using the metal ones you already bought. For gameplay reasons there's no difference. The plastics will be different in style as well, so for painting/collecting it's a completely new model. So go give your metal models some TLC so they can live on in a display cabinet when the plastics come!

I'm stuck in limbo on some of my models for this same reason. I prefer the plastics in general (there's always exceptions) but I've already got all the M&SU and LaCroix crews in metal, and most of Kaeris' gang as well in metal.

I've decided to fully model and paint Ramos and Ophelia, but Kaeris is likely to get replaced once the plastics turn up. The only model I really want out of the M&SU box is the new Joss and maybe the new Brass Arachnid, but I can't justify the cost of the box for just one or two of the models (if I didn't already have so many arachnids, I would be very tempted).

I'm actually rather envious of the newbies as they don't have to deal with the temptation to re-purchase whole crews now that the shiny new models have started hitting the shelves.

-DavicusPrime

What if you like the metal sculpt better than what comes in plastic?

Or that feeling of nostalgia for playing with the original xyz mini?

I get wanting new and shiny, but if you already have a model why replace it simply because it is older?

The metals were far easier to assemble. And they have a weight to them that plastic can't match. Don't get me wrong... I love and typically prefer plastic.

Update if you like the new ones better. Just my opinion. :)

If you like the metals, use them. You don't have to replace them. Sadly, while many of the plastics do look pretty good not all of them are better than the metals that they replaced, so you may end up being better off for buying the metals while you can. These may also be some of the only chances for you to buy an individual model without having to fork out the cash for a whole set of plastics.

I've been buying metals simply from a "get them while you can" point of view, the fact that they are often the same cost as or cheaper than their plastic counterparts, I have no fear of working with metal models, I can buy the models I want now rather than waiting months for plastic versions, and friends that I know that have bought the plastics have found them to generally be more troublesome to assemble than they should be and prone to breakage once they are put together.

If you are liking and prefer the plastics then get them. It is your crew, make it your own and have fun with it. There is also nothing saying you can't mix both metals and plastics in the same crew- this may even come in handy with crews that have multiples of the same model type, such as having more than three different Belles in a Seamus crew.

....I'm actually rather envious of the newbies as they don't have to deal with the temptation to re-purchase whole crews now that the shiny new models have started hitting the shelves.

-DavicusPrime

<whistling> "It's goooooood to be a newbie! gooooood goood good :-D"</whistling>

It helps keep my budget down.... a bit. I still am winding up buying a lot, but at least I can tell myself it isn't out yet, so don't get it :-D

I'm actually rather envious of the newbies as they don't have to deal with the temptation to re-purchase whole crews now that the shiny new models have started hitting the shelves.

-DavicusPrime

No need for envy.

As a newbie I find the question to buy an old model now or wait for an update that could take a year or two but has a good chance (but no guaranty) of looking better rather tricky.

The only problem with the metal is that playing 2E, when using multiples of one model, e.g. the Ronin, the art doesn't match the figure so you need to remember which card belongs to which model. Or cut the old card apart and stick the art from that on top.

I simply wrote the model names or nicknames onto the cards with permanent marker, it won't rub off like the dry erase marker will.

I play Gremlins, and none of the Bayou Gremlin, Young Lacroix, or Slop Hauler card art matches the models. Makes me wonder why the first run or two of the cards didn't just feature the metal art, especially considering how long it will be before we see new plastic Gremlins. I had to get creative.

Makes me wonder why the first run or two of the cards didn't just feature the metal art, especially considering how long it will be before we see new plastic Gremlins. I had to get creative.

probably because or practicality: a lot of the old art was line drawing or even filtered pencil drawings; also setup costs a lot when printing so why not print a bunch of the same images?

I don't think it's all that important to make the art on the cards match every model. But it helps keep you straight on which model's info you're trying to record on each card. It's easy enough to mark the card so you know which model it belongs to.

For Ramos' Steam Arachnids, I've made multiple copies of the cards, but due to the proliferation of them, it's sometimes easier to track the wounds with a marker next to the model.

But back to the OP. The only reason I would suggest holding off on buying a metal starter box is if there is a henchman and/or totem that would normally be part of the new plastic set that doesn't exist in the metals (I can't actually think of any from first wave though, but a lot of the second wave ex-Henchman, now masters seem to have that problem).

Case in point: My Kaeris Crew does not have the firestarter nor the new Totem that their new box set will probably include, because those models didn't exist prior to M2E. I haven't fully assembled and based all of the models I do have yet. So I expect that I'll probably just blue tack them to the bases to make them useable until the new plastics show up to replace them.

-DavicusPrime

I simply wrote the model names or nicknames onto the cards with permanent marker, it won't rub off like the dry erase marker will.

I play Gremlins, and none of the Bayou Gremlin, Young Lacroix, or Slop Hauler card art matches the models. Makes me wonder why the first run or two of the cards didn't just feature the metal art, especially considering how long it will be before we see new plastic Gremlins. I had to get creative.

I got lucky with these - I hadn't got round to painting my Ophelia crew or slop haulers before the new cards came out. What I did was to look at the background colour of each card and use that colour in the mini somewhere. Like for the Young LaCroix I matched the hat band colours to the background colours. But I can definitly agree that it's tricky to remember which card goes with which mini - especially with piglets!

• 2 weeks later...
No need for envy.

As a newbie I find the question to buy an old model now or wait for an update that could take a year or two but has a good chance (but no guaranty) of looking better rather tricky.

I find myself in the same predicament! I can't decide whether to buy all the old models now so I can play with them right away, or wait who knows how long to get the new plastics that I may or may not like better...The Guild Peacekeeper for example. I really want to play with him but I am not 100% in love with the current sculpt. No one knows when the new one will come out and/or if I will even like that one even better. Being a newbie in the middle of a big release is not easy! :P

The Guild Peacekeeper for example. I really want to play with him but I am not 100% in love with the current sculpt.

Pretty much what I had in mind. Not too bad, but no must have either and simply for the sake of playing owning two would make no sense. Decisions, decisions, sigh ...

I have a feeling that it really is going to be a mix and match situation for crews, given the various reactions to new and old art. If not then plastic is your option, but I don't think any given metal figure will be really hard to find yet. Make a crew you like. If the metal is available and it rings your bell go for it. The best thing about the metal is almost every figure was available as an individual purchase or as part of a small crew. I've been picking up the old casts that interest me as the LGS thins it's ranks and know at some point they wont be available, but I suspect no one will be frowned on for fielding a mixed crew.

• 1 month later...

as a noob, I've also been picking and choosing some of the older models due to the 'when they're gone they're gone" effect. For instance, picking up the alt sculpts of Lilith and Rasputina as I just prefer the sculpts to the current new release plastics.

It's a bit weird as my first complete crew is actually Sonnia which I've also bought in metal as my FLGS had a brilliant deal on the old crew boxes. My partner will be playing Colette for the same reason, she just loved the feel and look of the crew. That's left us with a problem (well, up till the 10th of this month that is) as the rules were not even confirmed and I'm guessing it's going to be a good long while before a Colette plastic crew sees the light of day.

But the good n lovely peeps on this forum have ben really helpful and talked us though what crews were and weren't a good idea and which models might be good or cause us potential problems.

It's one of the reasons I love this game already is that the forums and community are full of very helpful and non-judgemental peeps who are just keen and happy to help.

Just for the record, I also just picked up an Austringer, a Joss, Anjelica, Exorcist, Handler and Coryphees all for the same reason. We may well not get our heads round them for a good while, but we can get going on painting while we're waiting!