Magnetizing Bases

N1ck

Hello Everyone, I was curious as to how to go about magnetizing bases? I have already made my bases, assembled the mini on it and it's all painted so I would prefer that I would not have to deconstruct the base at all. Are there mini magnets that I would be able to superglue to the underside of the bases per chance?

1) These are good magnets to use for big, man-size plastics. I use these for lighter plastics. Metals and plastics using 40mm+ base inserts will want either the larger magnet or multiples of the small one.

2) Green Stuff

3) Super glue

4) Waxed paper

Mix up a ball of Green Stuff, about as big around as can snugly fit between the base and the surface it's sitting on, or a little bigger. Put a drop of super glue onto the bottom of the base, and drop the ball of putty onto the glue. Put another drop of glue onto the putty. Add the magnet; you don't need to press it way in, just a little bit so it catches in the glue and putty. Finally, turn the base over and rub it on the table, on a square of the waxed paper. Leave it on waxed paper to dry, to keep the glue from hazing your table.

I don't know if it matters much, but when I remember to do it, I score the inside of the base and the top of the magnet with a hobby knife, which presumably helps the glue adhere to the slick surfaces. In practice, the bases rarely come apart anyway.

It's a good idea to make sure your bases' polarity all goes the same way. If you ever want to stick a rare earth magnet to another rare earth magnet (e.g. I like to glue magnets to the tops of corks, so I can then stick a miniature to the top while painting it, and not have to use poster putty), you'll be happy you made them consistent.

Edited by ThatDarnSatan

Generally, you can just glue them in without the greenstuff. If you have sized your magnets properly, then they won't catch and will adhere fine. You lose a magnet once in a while, but in my entire kit, I have lost about 1 magnet a year.

I use the green stuff to fill the space between the base and the magnet. It's necessary with the ones I linked. Do you have, er, taller magnets to recommend? I'd be happy to skip the green stuff if possible.

I've had that problem in the past. I used plasticard to increase the height.

I did have taller magnets, but I got them as swag. To be honest, I have been functioning on swag magnets for quite some time. I am actually happy for your links as I have been trying to figure out a good source for new ones. They do come in different sizes though.

Also, the new Wyrd bases are not as deep as the old ones, so the short magnets are not an issue anymore.

I chose the lazy + cheap approach. I found metal washers at my local hardware store that were around the right size for 30 and 40 mm bases. On the slotless bases from the new plastics they actually fit perfectly on the underside of the base, attached with a bit of crazy glue.

I also found magnetic vent covers; thin, flexible magnetic strips used to block off heating/ac vents. I attached one to the bottom of the box I carry my minis in and voila - reverse magnetized bases.

• Like 1

I chose the lazy + cheap approach. I found metal washers at my local hardware store that were around the right size for 30 and 40 mm bases. On the slotless bases from the new plastics they actually fit perfectly on the underside of the base, attached with a bit of crazy glue.

I also found magnetic vent covers; thin, flexible magnetic strips used to block off heating/ac vents. I attached one to the bottom of the box I carry my minis in and voila - reverse magnetized bases.

Even though that does sound lazy and cheap, it sounds very unique because I would have never thought of that method. Kudos for the creative ingenuity.

I did that with my goblin army for Fantasy. Metal movement trays with magnetic strips on their carry box. It works ok, but the magnets aren't as strong usually, and this can cause issues.

I used strip magnets at first, but felt they were too weak -- I was always afraid of things shifting in the bag. It's down to what you're comfortable with, but I like the strength of the rare earth magnets.

Putting magnets in the bases allows you some interesting flexibility. We have metal bookcases whose shelves are totally packed full with books, but whose sides are ... well, metal. For a couple years the side of one bookcase was thick with Dark Eldar and Orcs & Goblins, waiting for their chance on the painting table. I even used a rat ogre for a refrigerator magnet for awhile. These are all side benefits and I wouldn't argue for this approach on the basis of being able to collect your pizza coupons under a creation of Clan Moulder, but I think it's the way to go. :)

Edited by ThatDarnSatan
skimming fail

More Fun With Magnets: I like to glue a square of steel sheeting to the top of a cork, then stick the magnetized miniature to it. This has the usual practical use of not having to handle the miniature itself, but also not having to pick poster putty out of a miniature's base afterward. It's a small time savings but they add up. (I used to glue magnets to the corks, as in the pic, but since I realized the magnet on the base sticks about as well to bare metal as it does to another magnet, it seems fine to just go with a bit of steel)

post-12114-13911930972693_thumb.jpg

The 50mm and old 30mm (no logo) bases take a 2.5mm deep magnet (I used 2.5 x 2.5 x 10mm), actually I switched to putting two 2.5mm cubes on the old 30mm bases as the 10mm ones were too strong. I purchased them all from indigo magnets (indigo.com)

The 40mm bases and the new 30mm (have the Wyrd logo on the underside) take a 1/16" magnet ( I used 3/16 x 3/16 x 1/16) I purchased them from K&J magnets (kjmagnetics.com)

I hear that the newest plastics have yet another depth 30mm base, but until I get one I cannot measure to determine the magnet needed

The 50mm and old 30mm (no logo) bases take a 2.5mm deep magnet (I used 2.5 x 2.5 x 10mm), actually I switched to putting two 2.5mm cubes on the old 30mm bases as the 10mm ones were too strong. I purchased them all from indigo magnets (indigo.com)

The 40mm bases and the new 30mm (have the Wyrd logo on the underside) take a 1/16" magnet ( I used 3/16 x 3/16 x 1/16) I purchased them from K&J magnets (kjmagnetics.com)

I hear that the newest plastics have yet another depth 30mm base, but until I get one I cannot measure to determine the magnet needed

I'll double check mine later. Looks like it'll hold a decent sized thin yet wide rare earth magnet.

• 11 months later...

I wish I had found this thread, especially this post, a 6 months ago---would have saved me a HUGE amount of time.  The washer part was easy enough, but finding something to act as a magnetic base in my carry box has kept me searching, and failing, for a few months now.

I got a pack of vent covers on order and am hopeful that everything will work out just right. :)