M1E Licensing

PierceSternum

A while back, a community site was starting up for continued support of M1E.

Apparently emails were back and forth and such and I am not entirely sure where any of that was left, but one thing I have been keen on hearing more about was:

"Please keep an eye on the Wyrd miniatures site for any announcement on the subject of licensing. In fact one will likely be made in the next couple weeks."

That was from 7/25... Now, I get that with Gencon approaching, everyone was understandably swamped, but now that its behind us, I was hoping to hear a bit more about this.

What some of the intentions and coverage could possibly be. I understand if details are not worked out yet, so am more interested in seeing whether the intentions for it might align with some people's hopes.

While I absolutely second the desire to see some sort of liscense for reproducing cards for V1 Malifaux, or being able to buy them in some way, and would love an answer soon, please, Justin, Eric, Nathan, take all the time you need to come up with something you feel comfortable with.

Just keep us informed that you are thinking it over(or not, I guess) so that we know whether we should be being patient, or going rogue.

I'd agree with mythic - this became a very contentious and incident causing subject last time, so we're just asking that people remember to think, and post calmly and reasonably.

I'd certainly like to see this discussion avoid turning into tantrums, abuse, and a thread lock. I think at some point its a discussion that will have to be had, though I'd imagine the guys at Wyrd will only choose to comment when they're happy they've sorted all the possibilities and come up with the most sensible plan for their business. So in the meantime, lets keep it civil and maybe something useful can come out of it!

Thank you for framing this in such a positive light...

It's fairly reasonable. Last time this was brought up, the conversation ended up with someone suggesting that Wyrd had no legal control over the game, which is possibly the most offensive thing that could be said on a company's site.

Personally, I'd love to hear a statement from Wyrd about 1.5. While I personally wouldn't play such a system, newly produced stats sound like a great thing for people who want to continue playing 1.5, and the passion of people like caen doesn't come from nowhere; if someone with that kind of intelligence and clear sight would make use of the system, it surely can't be a bad thing.

It's not really my issue, so I hope you don't mind me highlighting how big a step it would be for someone to hand over their game to someone that they haven't chosen personally, are not paying and are ultimately not in charge of. The heads of Wyrd aren't just passionate enough about Malifaux to modify a system, they're passionate enough to have built the system and the company producing it, and that's the kind of intent that's been turned towards 2.0 now. Giving official support to the game being taken in another direction would be a massive decision which couldn't ever really be reversed.

This is a very interesting topic. Normally house rules never required licensing. So the big question here is: Does posting something online counts as publishing. Is this an infringement of IP or just players getting organised. We getting into a grey area here.

If Wyrd wants to keep this under their control they need to do it them selves. It would be great if they did that because it would make the rules official rather than homebrew.

Come on Eric, Mack, Justin we need a statement on this. Gen Con is over.

Be careful. push too hard, and the answer will almost certainly be, "If you want an answer right now, then it has to be 'NO'."

I'm just saying, be polite, give them time(tell them you want it, ask if they are working on it, but don't push) and we are more likely to get something everyone can agree on.

Edited by Dracomax
annoying spelling error was bugging me.

Like others have said, everyone take their time. Putting out new content for a previous edition can be a very touchy business, especially when the edition has literally just changed. I wouldn't expect any right to make "official" homebrew content for an edition until at least a year after the new edition is out. If this was as huge a change as say, D&D 3.5 to D&D 4.0 (with D&D 3.5 having an Open Game License which made this argument irrelevant), I would understand the rush to get an answer. I would honestly suggest (for now) simply using the website (or make a new one, whatever) as a kind of gathering place/forum for fans of M1.5. Wait a while, probably at least a couple of months after the new masters boxes are released. Then ask if it is okay to make M2.0-M1.5 conversions. I wouldn't expect anything official, especially not during a busy time. Trust me, rushing people / demanding decisions from someone to help you doesn't work great, especially when the situation is not time sensitive.

To be clear, no one has demanded anything.

No one is asking for new m1e content. My question was entirely based on something eric mentioned in July.

All I am looking to understand is of its still under consideration or not.

"We have not had time but still intend to" is a fine answer. As is "we have decided NOT t let anyone continue support of m1e." (Although that would be a bummer)

If nothing had been originally said I'd have already given up hope.

If nothing had been originally said I'd have already given up hope.

It is worth noting that what was originally said, was said in a private email which was posted publicly without consent.

Not that it changes our intentions. Eric was looking into it and you can see Nathan's earlier post for where we currently stand. But I just think it is worth mentioning that it was not a public announcement or anything along those lines.