Terraclips for Terrain?

Claymore65

Hey guys, I was just wondering who uses the official Terraclips terrain for Malifaux. I don't have any good 3d terrain (at home I use 2d D&D adventure tiles) and I was wondering how people like them. With the miniature market sale going on (50% off of Wyrd Products) I thought now might be a good time to pick up some terrain. I'd probably pick up the "Buildings of Malifaux" pack with some connecters, and maybe the "Streets of Malifaux" pack as well. What do the more experienced players think?

The "Streets of Malifaux" set is beautiful, and very versatile. My boyfriend and I have used it for several games, as well as for Pathfinder sessions, and it has exceeded all expectations. I will say this, though: If you plan on building complex structures, get two packages of connectors. I can't speak for the "Buildings of Malifaux," but you know as well as I do that Wyrd never disappoints.

I have two sets of the Buildings of Malifaux. I love them. They break down to next to nothing (which my wife loves). It is as much fun to build them as it is to play on them. Every time, I build something different.

If you are getting them, make sure that you get at least a box of clips for each box of terrain. It would probably help to even get an extra box of clips.

Here is a link to some pictures of what I have made using the sets that I have:

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?44260-My-weekly-Buildings-of-Malifaux-Terrain-set-up

Is say that you need at least one more pack of connectors than the amount of sets your using for the table. So if you use three sets for a table you need 4 connector packs. But that should also give you a ton of options for table layouts. We have quite liked our sets, they look the part and that they fold up again is fantastic as we don't have a lot of storage.

We use a set of Streets, a set of Buildings, and two sets of clips. We're able to make a lot of interesting terrain very easily, though we ran low on clips when we tried to get ambitious. +1 on the "buy another set of clips" suggestion if you plan to build anything really grand in scale.

I combined Streets & Sewers to make a complex 3ft board that splits into four 18" sections that drop into a box and fit in the boot (trunk) of my car. They are used regularly at my local club and take just a few minutes to set up.

I also have a indoor board made up from the Dungeon sets that splits into two 18" x 36" sectiona and fits on the parcel shelf of my car as it is all on one level.

I've got two copies each of Buildings, Streets, and Sewers. One connector box per set is actually enough, if you plan out your connections. It's easy and natural to use more connectors as you are building than are actually required to hold everything together. Still, if you can afford an extra set you won't find yourself taking things back apart to try and get some excess clips out from the middle of the build.

Terraclips sets are beautiful!

My only issue, is that if I leave a board set up, my cats play with it in my absence. Hence, I build a new board each time I use the sets. This can be a bit time consuming. These issues are my own though, and have nothing to do with the product. I blogged about my recent terraclips experiences here:

http://teninchtemplate.blogspot.com/2013/04/malifaux-and-terraclips.html?m=1

TerraClips is a great system. I would get two sets of Buildings and Streets each. You will need 2-3 boxes of clips, as well. Although you can get by with 3 total sets of TerraClips, 4 sets allow the table to look proper and make tactics important.

I have been using terra clips since they were first released and I own 3 streets, 2 buildings, 1 sewer and 1 of each of the 3 latest boxes. For starters I would actually not purchase the building box. It is a great box, but of all of the boxes it is the most limited in terms of table coverage. I would actually recommend 2 boxes of streets, and 1 box of ruins.

You can make simple structures with the street tiles, and the ruins sets allow you to add variety to the board by creating multi story ruined buildings. Since they are ruinined, they don't need roofs. Roof pieces make up at least 35% of the buildings boxes, which accounts for why they are so limited in table coverage. The last three expansions, including the ruins, added 4 inch walls which make building structures much easier. 2 boxes of clips should work, but if you have the cash I would pick up 3 boxes.

The ruins box also makes great stand alone terrain if you are just looking to throw some pieces on the table; this is especially useful if you play other miniature games. Overall, I have never had more fun playing Malifaux then when I use a terra clips table. Verticality and LoS blocking Changes the game.

Edited by Buddhanutz

I'm joining in to applause the greatness of TCP, I have 1 each of Streets, buildings and Sewers and love 'em! those 3 sets are enough to make a nice 3D multi-level board (with 3 packs of clips, and could maybe do with a fourth one).

I particularly love the buildings set, as it can be used as stand alone set on a grass board for instance to do little houses, and works very well for other systems. Just loving it!

:)

I am less impressed with the Streets set as time goes on. The Buildings set is great and exactly what you need for some fun multi level buildings with balconies. I find myself using the buildings now without putting together a whole board of terraclips. All the photos I see of Wyrd tournaments lately have stand alone buildings as well, not using the streets/board and sticking to buildings.

My new city board with Terraclips will only be buildings standing on their own. Also using other spot terrain (crated, carriages, barrels, fences, etc).

For reference I own 2 Buildings and 1 Streets set. I've posted my boards here before. http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?32425-My-new-Terraclips-board

Edited by Rhellion