Tara's Stutter Time

Malicte

Question

Tara's Stutter Time ability says she "may choose to reflip the results of flips made to end the Encounter".

As I read this, if she doesn't like the result of the reflip, as it is still a flip to end the encounter, she can choose to reflip again.

Is this the correct reading, or is there some restriction on number of reflips that I haven't managed to dig up yet?

Nope her Stutter time ability states that she can choose to reflip the results of the end of encounter flip regardless if she flipped or not.

I'm pretty sure it *doesn't* state "regardless if she flipped or not".

It says she can re-flip it. It doesn't state she can force her opponent to re-flip it.

I agree with the other posters though that I think it should be one re-flip only.

Stutter Time: This model may choose to

reflip the results of flips made to end the

Encounter

It dosent state who makes the flip, so I guess the ability can re-flip from the opponents deck (if you are being pedantic you could insist on leaning over and flipping the card for him / her.

surely only one re-flip as the ability states it can re-flip the flip made to end the encounter, not re-flip the re-flip of the result to end the encounter, although yes it could be worded better.

To be honest if someone pulled some of the tricks mentioned in this thread Id just point out that she cant reflip the card simply because she never flipped it to begin with... Yes the ability could be worded better and hopefully they will clarify it soon but that doesnt mean people need to take the p*ss with its wording before the clarification.

Sigh, if we can have "RAI vs RAW" debates than it isn't clearly worded, so yeah, chuck that one into the Faq document.

Its possible to argue RAW v Intent even with a clearly worded rule. All it takes to prime that pump is disparity in literal interpretation of the ability and the general assumption about what should be. In this case the rule is pretty clear, if Tara doesn't like it she can keep digging, yet it defies expectations of balance and our assumptions about how such an ability should work. Thing to keep in mind is that without an explicit statement to the contrary our assumptions are just that.

To be honest if someone pulled some of the tricks mentioned in this thread Id just point out that she cant reflip the card simply because she never flipped it to begin with... Yes the ability could be worded better and hopefully they will clarify it soon but that doesnt mean people need to take the p*ss with its wording before the clarification.

I'm an obsequious guy myself, I know that, and I don't see why playing the game as its written is a bad thing. There ARE rules, and while its possible to play by them I'll play by them. If I have to make them up as I go along than I'm not playing Malifaux anymore so much as I'm playing my own imaginary spinoff. Now I get that intent and Raw sometimes contradict each other, and intent is a wonderful thing, but in the absence of faq or erratum RAW wins that fight 10 times out of 10 for me.

Edited by hypoking

Very well, let's take that logic to the limit:

M2E rulebook page 10 - Flips:

When a flip is required, the model turns over one or more cards from the top of the Fate Deck to achieve a random number and/or suit

"The" fate deck. Not "its controller's" fate deck. I'm going to have a lot of fun flipping cards off the top of my opponent's deck from now on! :)

Edit: My point being, nowhere is it explicitly stated that when you flip cards you do it from your own deck. Since we already have to assume that every other ability on all other models cards require them to flip from their own deck, I don't see why it's proposed to make an exception in this case.

Edited by Mike3838

I don't really have a full opinion on the "which deck does she flip from" line of questioning. To be honest, I don't think it really makes a difference. Whether I'm flipping my own cards or not doesn't have a huge bearing.

My one thought though reading some of the other comments is that I wouldn't say she gets to keep flipping till she gets what she wants. She get's a single re-flip of the end of Encounter flip as it is only 1 flip. You either make it or you don't. She doesn't just get to burn through the deck.

Now assuming she uses the re-flip and successfully extends the game, I would say she could then reuse the ability at the end of that next turn since it requires a new flip.

That's my interpretation too, but I cam see the argument for "the reflipped card is also a flip to end the encounter, so subject to the same rule as the original flip".

Th first point isn't so much "which deck does she flip from? " as it is "does the ability kick in *at all* if Tara's crew didn't make the original endgame flip?"

Yes I completely agree with that, for me it's just a question of wether the intention was to have the ability the same as colettes from 1.5 (although described in significantly less words) or only Tara can make the re-flip, which makes controlling activations on the last turn more important.

Not really an issue either way as long as its agreed with your opponent I suppose

If the original flip is a Black Joker, would this rule follow the usual precedent of not allowing a reflip?

Presumably as written, this is not mentioned and therefore the BJ would make no difference, but if this was the intent but was overlooked then this also should be clarified in any FAQ.