Tips and Tricks M2E Wave 1 Starter Sets

edonil

I have seen people in this thread mention plastic cement is superior to superglue when working on plastics. for those of you who do not have much experience with plastic minis, let me expand on that.

plastic cement is not a glue that sticks to both surfaces. instead it causes a chemical reaction that melts a fine layer of the 2 pieces together. that makes them a single piece once bonded.

since we are not working on big plane or car kits, we want a product with a very small tip that allows you to control the flow very well. if you glob too much, it will squeeze out when you push the 2 pieces together, getting on your fingers, and in a worst case, you can press your fingerprint into the plastic if too much glue is on and you are pressing hard. because of all that, i highly reccomend this product. what you cant see, is the applicator is a tiny metal tube. one bottle of this stuff has lasted me over a year, and unlike superglue, it does not thicken over time.

http://www.thewarstore.com/product33526.html

other stores sell it, but it might take some looking around, or buying online. sadly neither FLGS near me on long island carries this product, but i found it at a hobby shop that specializes in those gas powered model planes and cars.

now once you have pressed 2 pieces together, you will find it "dries" to a point of holding it in place on its own faster than superglue, but it can still be messily pulled apart for a while. once the plastic cures, it will be a perfect weld of plastic to plastic. there is no need to pin pieces that are glued together using this stuff. so make sure you have it right before you put it together.

this stuff works better than superglue, lasts longer, and is easier to apply in small amounts and onto fiddly bits. once you try it you will find working with plastic models much easier than metals ever were. just remember you still need old fashion superglue for plastic to resin or plastic to metal.

I've always found Liquid Poly to be the best for plastic. Essentially it's just polystyrene cement but in liquid form (it looks like a little jar of water) that you apply with a small applicator brush. I find the its much less messy than "tubes" of anything, because there's no squeezing involved.

Other stores sell it, but it might take some looking around, or buying online. sadly neither FLGS near me on long island carries this product, but i found it at a hobby shop that specializes in those gas powered model planes and cars.

You can actually find this at a lot of craft stores (Michael's, AC Moore, etc) in their model car kit sections. I picked some up the other day. The one piece of advice I've seen that's worth mentioning is I guess there are 2 conatiner versions of this, same brand same company, but one has a metal applicator and one is plastic. I think you can imagine the issue with using the one with a plastic applicator to pour out plastic cement lol.

I've always found Liquid Poly to be the best for plastic. Essentially it's just polystyrene cement but in liquid form (it looks like a little jar of water) that you apply with a small applicator brush. I find the its much less messy than "tubes" of anything, because there's no squeezing involved.

Testor's Plastic Cement is the same way. It's a little paint jar sized container with a brush built onto the lid.

Works like a dream.

i highly reccomend this product. what you cant see, is the applicator is a tiny metal tube. one bottle of this stuff has lasted me over a year, and unlike superglue, it does not thicken over time.

http://www.thewarstore.com/product33526.html

This stuff doesn't have a brush and it isn't messy at all....and it allows for much finer control...the tiny applicator tube is perfect for the little tiny pieces.

It really is the bees knees.

This stuff doesn't have a brush and it isn't messy at all....and it allows for much finer control...the tiny applicator tube is perfect for the little tiny pieces.

It really is the bees knees.

Couldn't agree more, one bottle will last for several Gencon feeding frenzies (at least) and the applicator tube is awesome, syringe like precision. Hang on to the little unclogging wire and you are good to go. BTW:the glue is also really good at wicking into joints and has a nice working time