Mali-Fest 2013, An M2E Tournament (Watertown, MA)

Jonasty

I figured as much but it doesn't hurt to ask.

This warmonger will be running THREE days of Malifaux events at the Warstore Weekend and plenty of our crews will be out and about if you'd like a chance to see them!

/shamelessplug

This event does sound super cool, and maybe I can get a car full of people to come up next year if it is enlarged to cover two days... (and get the most out of having to get a hotel...)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This warmonger will be running THREE days of Malifaux events at the Warstore Weekend and plenty of our crews will be out and about if you'd like a chance to see them!

/shamelessplug

This event does sound super cool, and maybe I can get a car full of people to come up next year if it is enlarged to cover two days... (and get the most out of having to get a hotel...)

This is great to hear. There will also be other events in the area in the next 6 months which we can try and incorporate a weekend event.

This event is just the gateway event for many in the Watertown area :)

P.S. Don't forget Templecon Feb 6 - 9th in Warwick, RI. That's a don't miss event for sure!

darn thread de-railers!

Back on Topic! Anyone planning on heading out for Mali-Fest on Oct 5, please pre-register if you can. It saves you money and gives us a better idea how many tables we need to have ready!

All the information you need is at http://events.dorkamorka.com/mali-fest_2013.html

• 2 weeks later...

Sooooo...I know little of miniature gaming, however the one that has always appealed to me as such is Malifaux. I know this is a full-on tourney but how open would y'all be to a complete beginner. I just worry that if I would spend half the day going 'umm..do what now?' 'So i measure this?' 'What does this unit/character do again?' and thereby takes twice as long as everyone else.

Sooooo...I know little of miniature gaming, however the one that has always appealed to me as such is Malifaux. I know this is a full-on tourney but how open would y'all be to a complete beginner. I just worry that if I would spend half the day going 'umm..do what now?' 'So i measure this?' 'What does this unit/character do again?' and thereby takes twice as long as everyone else.

I can tell you that there will be a lot of people in exactly the same circumstance. Please consider attending, as this event is meant to be a healthy experience for people to get a set of games under their belt. I can tell you that, as a Wyrd Henchman attending, I am glad to play against any opponent as long as they are interested in Malifaux. Everyone attending this event is incredibly friendly and open to helping people. If you know NOTHING about Malifaux, we can help you. We can go over the basics in a mini-bootcamp maybe 30-60 minutes before the event starts. Just don't be afraid to come and play. Playing the game is the best way to learn. While named a tournament, its really just an excuse for everyone to throw down models and have a good time.

would it be allright if someone wanted to come by later in the afternoon just to hangout and get to know the local malifaux community

Heck yeah! Come by and say hi. As long as everyone attending is 21+, there is no issue with the venue as far as I understand. You can meet the rest of the Malifaux community.

For the tournament itself, as PFalcon mentioned it is going to be beginner friendly. I know for certain we've got a couple of players attending who only have a handful of games under their belt. So feel free to toss yourhat in the ring and see how you do. Worst case is you'll get to enjoy 3 games of Malifaux this Saturday and see the local Watertown community which is growing steadily.

As far as the venue, while I'm the TO I'm not directly involved with the booking of the venue so I'm not sure what exactly the limits are on using the space this weekend. The group that meets there regularlly is normally on Thurs nights and the weekend booking is for the special event so not sure if we can stay past the tourney ending time. If we can, I'd certainly be down for playing a pick up game.

Glad to see so many new faces popping up! Saturday is going to be fun.

We usually have the venue until 7:00 or so, but honestly, the bar downstairs stays open until 11:00 at night, so they don't kick us out at any time.

The real issue you'll run into is my burning desire to get something to eat and drink at a local watering hole with friends after playing games for like 6 hours... so as the DorkaMorka rep at the event responsible for the venue, I am the last out the door.

What that does is mean is you should come by, introduce yourself, if you're early enough (like 4:30-5:00) bring your models, if only to show them off, then come out to dinner with us and meet the community!

All the information you need is here: http://events.dorkamorka.com/mali-fest_2013.html

Parking is mentioned... there is a public lot about 100 yards away from the rear entrance to the Eagles. The rear entrance being the one we use. It's a covered staircase. Look for the red door, the stair case is right beside it. I'll have a sign up, too.

I've attached a crude map. The easiest would be to use the public parking area behind the CVS, the Eagles is across a little side street from this parking lot. There are hourly metered spaces so you wouldn't need to run out every few minutes to feed the meter.

There's also a parking garage about a block away as well. It's not as close and it's off a (sorta) one-way street. Never used it before so I'm not sure of the potential cost but it's close enough to easily walk to the Eagles as well.

(Not sure how big the map will blow up for people. The Red dot is the Eagles, the closer/upper blue circle is the metered lot behind CVS and the lower/further circle is the garage.)

post-10321-13911931165029_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Pseudo-ninja'ed by Drool bucket although he doesn't have an awesome drawn on map screenshot. *smug*

Edited by Jonasty

I've actually showed about 6 people how to play and on top of that I've gotten a couple games in at The Game Castle since then I still have to read the abilities so it takes me a little longer I haven't played with anyone except Tara though so I have a pretty good grasp on her, on another note I saw your entry in chronicles what range is that samurai in I don't think I've ever seen the model before