Mali-Fest 2013, An M2E Tournament (Watertown, MA)

Jonasty

Announcing the First Annual Mali-Fest Tournament!!!

In cooperation with the DorkaMorka folks, I will be running a single day Malifaux 2nd Edition tournament that will be the first among many such events. This is open to both beginners and veterans alike, we're looking to kick off the new edition with a bang here in the Boston area!

Basic Tournament Info: 3 Rounds, prizes for 1st, 2nd (3rd place if enough attendees), Best Painted Master, Single Day achievement list.

What: Malifaux 1-day tournament

Where: The Fraternal Order of the Eagles

Address: 44-48 Mt. Auburn St Watertown, MA 02472

When: Saturday October 5th, 2013

Time: Registration/Setup 11-12, 12-6 tournament.

Please Note: Due to the venue for the tournament, this will be a 21+ event.

Registration Info:

• Please sign up here on the forums if you plan on attending.
  • Pre-Registration is $5 per player via PayPal. $10 at the door.
  • To pre-register for the event simply email the pre-registration fee to events@dorkamorka.com at PayPal with a comment of "Pre-register: Mali-Fest 2013" along with your Wyrd forum name. I will indicate Pre-Reg status in the attendees list once confirmed (please allow a day or so for this).

Event info and the full rules packet can be found here: http://events.dorkamorka.com/

For Q&A about the event please post here, I will respond as quickly as possible.

Attendees:

Jonasty (TO)

Drool_bucket (preregistered)

hypoking

PeregrineFalcon (preregistered)

PeregrineFalcon's friend

Agnelcow

Inquisitor Wall (preregistered)

Zombie1701 (preregistered)

Silas Cordell (preregistered)

mattyboy22 (preregistered)

Post Event Wrap Up!!!

I want to thank everyone who made it out to the tournament, it was a great time and a huge success. We had a great turnout and an amazing group of people. Thanks to all involved we were also able to raise $80 for Adam's Extra Life charity work through Ian's Duel at High Noon cuddle gun battle.

Final Tournament Results

1. David (hypoking); Ophelia
  2. Jonah Z (Commander_Jay); Perdita
  3. Greg (Fastenhate); Viks
  4. Matt L (Silas Cordell); Lynch
  5. Matt A (mattyboy22); Viks
  6. Matt P (Zombie1701); Sonnia
  7. Adam (PeregrineFalco); Tara
  8. Travis; Lynch
  9. Alan; Seamus
  10. Kevin (Inquisitor Wall); Seamus
  11. Josh H (IChewSoulStone); Nicodem
  12. Corbin (Hagisman); Lady J
  13. Ian/Kiernan (Drool_bucket)(Welshi); Viks/Seamus {Kiernan was registered but couldn’t stay the whole time so Ian graciously stepped in for him during the tourney.}
  14. Matt S (matttt24); Rasputina
  15. Josh D (shuadavis); Rasputina
  16. Jack; Rasputina
  17. Victor; Lilith
  18. Jeremy; Somer

Achievement List Results

1. Greg
  2. Corbin
  3. Ian/Matt S

Painting Competition Results (sorry, no specific pics)

1. Matt P
  2. Jeremy
  3. Jonah Z

Some pics from Mali-Fest:

Full album: http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Jonasty1031/slideshow/Mali-Fest%202013

IMG_6764_zpsecc593b1.jpg

IMG_6786_zps62acd059.jpg

IMG_6768_zps080f811b.jpg

IMG_6794_zps833b959b.jpg

IMG_6789_zpsc39b4876.jpg

Again, thanks to everyone who made the day a success and keep your eyes open as this is only the first of many things to come in the Boston and New England area.

Edited by Jonasty

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote the following on our website but it should go here too...

For outsiders....

What is the Eagles? The Eagles is a private function hall that DorkaMorka rents. It's a spacious play space with some decor issues, but I promise is better than a basement! We've have upwards of 30 gamers playing "4x6 games" and managed to fit with minimal issues.

Downstairs, the Eagles has a bar, much like a VFW, American Legion or other "club" in which the drinks are cheap and selection is limited. The drinks can come up to the function hall no issues. And you can bring up as many drinks as you want.

So, if the idea of playing table top games (Malifaux this time) and drinking some beers on a Saturday afternoon with some like minded guys, with multiple food venues within about a two minute walk, then our location will make you a very happy person....

What is DorkaMorka? We are a group of 30-something gamers who have been together for about a decade. We used to play out of Danger Planet Games in Waltham, but when that store closed we started renting the Eagles Hall on Thursday nights. We have approximately 12-15 regular players (meaning weekly/bi-weekly) with other stragglers that show up less frequently. We play predominately 40K and Blood Bowl, but some of us are taken with Malifaux, FoW and other games like Necromunda and InquisiMunda. We also break out a board game every once and while.

That's right... I quoted myself!

Alright, time for a weekly bump. *grin*

Also just to be clear, if you're interested and plan on attending the tournament please sign up here on the forums regardless of your registration status. You don't need to have preregistered to sign up. Whether you're going to pay at the door or preregister later, no money needs to be paid to let me know you're coming.

I'll be in on this one as well. First time going to a tourney, so expect to beat me. :)

Also, with the fixed-master format, are we locked into just one of that master's factions? For instance, do I have to choose at the start of the tourney if I'm going with Guild or Resser McMourning, or can I switch from round to round?

Edited by Agnelcow
Added Question

Attendee list updated.

Also, with the fixed-master format, are we locked into just one of that master's factions? For instance, do I have to choose at the start of the tourney if I'm going with Guild or Resser McMourning, or can I switch from round to round?

To me, Fixed Master would work exactly as it sounds. So long as you follow the normal hiring restrictions when hiring for the specific faction, you could switch between Resser and Guild McMourning or other dual faction masters during the tournament.

So dumb question for the TO. If I want to use a model that hasn't been released yet, say Fingers, should I...

a) realize I'm **** out of luck

B) kitbash a suitable conversion

c) bring on a great gnashing of teeth by bringing a proxy

This is mentioned in the tournament packet I believe but if not here you go. Proxy/kitbash/whatever-you-want-to-call-them models are fine. Obviously some models haven't been released yet so there will be instances of this. Or maybe you have an awesome conversion of an existing model, either way is fine. As a TO I usually am pretty laid back about these things.

That being said, the rules for this are pretty cut and dry and have little wiggle room. Any non-standard model being used as a proxy for a mini must be easily identifiable as the mini in question. Using your example, people should not have to worry about identifying whether that is a model of Fingers or just another Bayou Gremlin. They should be able to just see it on the table and know. I will make the final determination of this but I will be open to input from you and your opponents.

On a related note about mini availability, just a reminder that this tournament is limited to Wave 1 models only. Given the timing of the tournament, there's the chance that the next Beta round will be open to the public. These minis will not be allowed during the tournament. The rules of the beta are too fluid for me to be comfortable allowing them in a tournament setting. (Much as I can't wait to see Dreamer/LCB's new rules! *evil*)

Do you mind expanding on the 'issues' that you don't think wouldn't be able to be resolved by the TO (Jonasty) during the event?

I think M2E has tightened up significantly since the book release at Gencon. While there are always going to be rules questions, I think this event is meant to be light and friendly. The TO has a great handle on the new rules and I think he'll be able to make a fair ruling if the issue arises.

With that said, do you have a specific example of the so-called 'fuzzier' rules? I've played Tara and didn't find that she had any quirkiness. Really just curious for my own edification.

Highlights for Tara last I checked. At the moment RAW renders Obliteration Symbiote nonfunctional based on the impossibility of getting los on a model that's not in play. RAW on Stutter Time doesn't include a shut off valve, allowing her to keep at it until she gets the result she wants.

I don't doubt that these and similar issues could be resolved during the event. However, I do think it would be better if they get worked out ahead of time. Make sure everyone's going in with the same expectations.

Highlights for Tara last I checked. At the moment RAW renders Obliteration Symbiote nonfunctional based on the impossibility of getting los on a model that's not in play. RAW on Stutter Time doesn't include a shut off valve, allowing her to keep at it until she gets the result she wants.

As far as Obliteration Sybiote, I read it pretty well stated on the card. 'Unbury target buried model enemy...', this is one of those "this rule is more specific then the generic rule".

As far as Stutter Time, you are correct, but I'm not sure it's an issue. Especially in a time limited tourney.

I don't doubt that these and similar issues could be resolved during the event. However, I do think it would be better if they get worked out ahead of time. Make sure everyone's going in with the same expectations.

I'm with you 100%, that if someone has concerns about certain rules like this, they should bring them up (as you are) here and/or at the start of the event. That way the TO can make a ruling before cards are flipped.

I wonder if these should be brought to the Tara threads going on over in the Resser threads.

As far as rules questions/debates/clarifications/etc it ultimately boils down to TO(my) discretion. That being said I'm not some iron-fisted czar who will scrutinize every rule and make sure I tell you all exactly how things should work for everything. If an issue comes up, I'll listen to it and get feedback from both players and try to come to fair and balanced arrangement. Worst case scenario, we flip a card to determine who's right at that moment and look it up later.

Regarding the Tara shenanigans, I've read a bunch of the concerns with her already and have a fairly good idea of what the potential issues are and how I'd probably go about handling them. Might not be the same as some others but I am aware of them.

One thing I'll mention is that due to the nature of my job, I'm usually able to prowl the Wyrd boards on a daily basis so I'm usually aware of a lot of the rules discussions going on and debates about various topics. This isn't to say that I'll make the right choice every time by any stretch but I try to keep as up-to-date on everything Malifaux as I can.

Edited by Jonasty

• 2 weeks later...

It's been over a week so I think it's time for a bump on the thread. We've got a good list going and I think we'll have more people walking in as well who haven't posted here yet. If you are on the forums and haven't signed up, you've still got some time. And save yourself some dough and preregister if you can.