M2E: Incorporeal and Height

Mason

Question

Incorporeal: This model ignores, and is ignored by, other models and terrain during any movement or push.

My questions is, does this mean that an incorporeal model can just move to the top of a nearby building without having to "Climb" it at a speed of 2" per Height point of movement.

In other words, if an Incorporeal model is standing an inch away from a Ht 3 building, how many inches does it have to move to get on top of the building? Can it climb the building?

6 answers to this question

I'm pretty sure that it doean't get to climb for free. Nothign in Incorporial lets it change its ht

At the moment I'm unsure as to if it can't get to the top of the building at all, or if it climbs as normal. If the rules stay as they are then I don't think it does get to climb. It should still be able to go up slopes.

You can't climb a building you are ignoring :) if you don't wish to go through a wall, but to climb (assuming its been declared as climbable at the start of the game), you pay as normal.

If the incorporal model also has flight, no problem.

You can't climb a building you are ignoring :) if you don't wish to go through a wall, but to climb (assuming its been declared as climbable at the start of the game), you pay as normal.

If the incorporal model also has flight, no problem.

Flight: This model is immune to falling

damage and may ignore any terrain or

models while moving.

Incorporeal: This model ignores, and is

ignored by, other models and terrain during any

movement or push. Reduce all damage this

model suffers from Sh and Ml Attack Actions

by half.

I get what you're going for, but RAW it does not fit. Both rules just allow the models to ignore terrain and other models. The only differences are flight allows it to ignore falling and incorporeal allows for half damage. If a flying model can move up and land on a building, as these are written, so can an incorporeal. Getting down, though, the incorporeal model would take damage if the terrain is more than 2" high. I don't remember this being brought up in the beta forums, but it probably should have been.

Flight: This model is immune to falling

damage and may ignore any terrain or

models while moving.

Incorporeal: This model ignores, and is

ignored by, other models and terrain during any

movement or push. Reduce all damage this

model suffers from Sh and Ml Attack Actions

by half.

Interesting! Good find. I think as far as RAI goes, we know what was intended for flight in terms of verticality, but incorporeal - I could argue that either way. But I don't imagine falling damage would apply either if you are moving back down through the building.

RAW I agree with you, there is no distinction, so either they both can get to the top of the building or neither can. If the each step off the building the flying model takes no damage and the incorporeal model takes full damage.

It's interesting that nowhere in Flight is there any text that lets you fly.

Also, don't forget that building have the enclosed trait, preventing flying models from going through the walls.

However I agree, barring an FAQ, if you have a high sloped cliff with a sheer side on one edge and a slopped grade to the top on the other, and a flying model, and an incorporeal model are both at the foot of it, the way it is worded they can both get to the top of the sheer cliff without climbing.

The oddity comes into play inside buildings, as an incorporeal model would not necessarily have to move to change floors.

I have a feeling that how flying vs incorporeal works is going to be one of the biggest and earliest FAQ.