Twenty Arcanists by October

mythicFOX

So I'm coming home to Arcanists for M2e. As part of this I'm re-painting and updating my Arcanist models, as their paint jobs are showing their age.

I'm trying to prioritize what I want to get ready for the first few M2e events I’m playing in mid-October. I'm looking to get around twenty models ready and up to scratch between now and the Malifolk M2e event on the 13th of October.

What I’m struggling with is which models? I need your help! So what twenty M2e wave one models (based on last round of beta) would you choose to go out and play an event with?

I thinking Ramos and Mei Feng, but feel free to suggest anything.

Thanks in advance! *grin*

Ramos and 19 spiders?

But seriously...

For a construct set I would think

Ramos, Mei Feng, Rail Golem, Howard, Joss, Brass Arachnid, Emberling 2 Ice Gamin, 2 Metal Gamin, 2 Electrical creations 5 spiders, Johan and Foundry worker.

I personally would probably go

Marcus, Mei, Rail Golem, JAckolope, Emberlin,2 Cerberus, 2 Rattlers, 2 Silurids, 2 Molemen, Waldigiest, Howard, Joss, 2 Spiders, metal gamin and Myranda

When I use Ramos I use Ice Gamin as signifigant bombs. I want them to die in the right place, it gets me scrap, and does damage. Similar to the Electrical creation use, except I have more say in when these die. If I'm builidng a cheap construct swarm they are pretty good.

Metal gamin are more use for Mei as a garenteed jumping point. I personally find them too slow to be dishing out DF 6. Its tough to kill but doesn't do much other than that.

Haven't tried Ice Gamin with Ramos or Mei.

I could see taking them with Ramos as shock troops, but Mei I've been sticking to more durable constructs (either Metal Gamin or Steam Arachnids) into my lists to use alongside rail workers for my railwalk points. That's really where I see their value now. They aren't crazy good like they were in v1, but hey, the rest of our guys got way better to compensate *grin* About the only time I actually use them as bodyguards are in Raspy's crew - Raspy or Ice Golem at Df 6 is pretty funny.

If I had to pack my bag for an event, I'd probably slot these:

Masters - Ramos, Mei Feng (Fitting both of these is easier in the 20 model stipulation then Raspy!)

Brass Arachnid, Emberling, Joss, Rail Golem, Kang, Howard, 3x Rail Worker, 2x Metal Gamin, 1x Steam Arachnid Swarm, 1x Electrical Creation, 5x SPA

...this list would push model count to at least 30, but this is what my wave 2 would look like:

Raspy, Wendigo, Essence of Power, 3x Ice Gamin, Ice Golem, 2x December Acolyte, Sabertooth Cerberus, and any more SPA and Swarms that didn't make the first cut.

Edited by Thalaric

Metal Gamin I'm finding are best when taking body guard on something like the Ice Golem as the Ice Golem can't outpace the metal gamin as much as the rail golem can if he gets a headfull of steam.

Ice gamin- I haven't tried with ramos or mei, I tend to in both cases take the rail workers as I favor Kang with both masters.

I've found a lot of fun and success with double Golem lists. As people tend to be able to handle one but not both of them other overly well.

Ice gamin- I haven't tried with ramos or mei, I tend to in both cases take the rail workers as I favor Kang with both masters.

You dirty cheater :-P

Poor Ramos isn't allowed to bring Kang with.

Rail Workers with Ramos are my usual shock troop of choice though, they can do a lot of damage before they get put down, between Implacable and Ramos' auras. Then you get a scrap to summon some bugs out of their corpse.

Thanks for the thoughts. I thought Ramos couldn't take Kang? (He is amazing).

Some interesting options coming out here. I was thinking Ramos needs six spiders and one swarm. Not sure if that's too many single spiders, five might be enough. Hummm...

Edited by mythicFOX

I too am working on Arcanist crews for Mv2 and am centering them on Raspy and Ramos crews (but also have a MeiFang crew on the sprue). I am trying compositions with two Ice Golums to try to take advantage of the fact they are no longer rare.

I am trying both some "fastball" crews with the two Ice Golums using their throw to pitch multiple Ice Gamin into contact for hopeful freeze over shenanigans followed by pitching hoarcats or Wendigo for a devour.

Pitching electric creations and spiders into enemy crowds appeals to me as well.

I also want to try two acolytes with two Ice Golums for a "drag and smash" crew and try to pair an acolyte with each golum to try and pull enemy models into the ice golum Smash range with their Harpoon guns for extreme damage, but the victim would need to be paralyzed or already activated for much success perhaps.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

Could you also throw arachnid swarms to walk upto markers and use their zero action Devouring Swarm? That does not count as an ineligible interact on their activation after the throw does it? Or is any messing with markers an interact?

Could you also throw arachnid swarms to walk upto markers and use their zero action Devouring Swarm? That does not count as an ineligible interact on their activation after the throw does it? Or is any messing with markers an interact?

You can still use it after getting tossed.

The only thing insignificant prevents you from doing is taking the Interact action. If you've got another way to mess with markers, like Devouring Swarm, you are still allowed to use those.

The Ramos list that I have run mostly during closed/open beta;

Ramos 7SS

Brass Spider

EC

Joss

Ice Gamin x3

Metal Gamin

Small Spider

Leave 8SS for upgrades to Ramos & Joss

Extra Models on Hand

Small Spiders x8

Swarm x2

EC x1

The Gamin and spider make a very nice combat team mainly because the spider is not affected by the pulse damage if/when the gamin die. Latch on is a secondary consideration for the Gamin in melee as well as the spider ofcourse. They also give Ramos some range attacks early in game. Although it forces a double walk on turn 1 in order to use the 8 inch range on turn 2.

I like the Metal Gamin to body guard Ramos against the melee beat masters. It allows me to save my tomes for other things instead of his df trigger. You can always swap him out for another Spider or Ice Gamin. I have had a very high success rate with this crew.

My 2 cents.

Edited by sharpobjects

He was primarly being summoned as a way to generate scrape to get the spiders going. Summon EC, kill ec with electrical fire, make spiders ???? profit. Also fun was doing the set up on turn 1. make ec have it move. Have joss charge it, kill ec and net 2 scrape. Turn 2 make spiders turn 3 use scrape for evil.

Outside of using him as a scrape producing action that can potentially do some dmg maybe sometimes no the EC isn't all that great and often I've left the upgrade at home.

Thanks to everyone who posted their thoughts. I almost have my provisional list of Arcanists but I'm one model short, I'll post the lucky nineteen below but I need your help with the last one. What should I add?

One rule though, I'm not adding another copy of a model that’s already on the list. So it has to be a new model!

Ramos

Mei Feng

Brass Arachnid

Emberling

Electric Creation

Joss

Howard Langston

Kang

6x Steam Arachnid

Steam Arachnid Swarm

2x Rail Worker

2x Molemen

My list may be subject to a little change after seeing the final rules post GenCon.

Hrm.... You look set on big beefy pieces, so my initial suggestion would be 'Rail Golem' but that's kinda covered by the other big guys.

The other option that's probably good for a 'tournament' set of models would be Sabertooth Cerberus - crazy fast cat-missile! Lets you get to pieces the rest of your crew may not be able to get to, or do some objective running for you, plus the ability to eat enemy models is appreciated.

Edited by Thalaric

I keep thinking about the Golem, but as you say I'm already covered for big hitters and I'm not sure I'd take her over Hank most of the time. That could change in a couple of weeks though :)

I was thinking of a utility piece, so the Cerberus would probably work in that slot for when I need speed up a flank. I'll add the cat to my shortlist.

Any other thoughts guys?

Try Myranda. That way you have an extra person and worse comes to worse if she is hemorrhaging she can shape shift into a Sabertooth, or Razorspine and be fully healed up and ready to go.

I would also suggest Cojo, from what I have seen in the beta he is quite useful for strategies and schemes by removing unwanted markers your opponent lays down.

Worse comes to worse you can always have a Jackalope *grin*