M2E Marcus

dgraz

I don't know. I find I can fill any list I need with actual Beasts......you need the correct suit, the AP, and the damage on the model to make it happen.....what if you don't pull the proper suit on turn 1? Do you wait a whole turn and hope to draw it then? What does making him a beast really give you? Is it enough to fool around with making him a beast?

I prefer the fluff of fielding all beasts, so that influences my opinion. If you can answer those questions satisfactorily to yourself then go for it.

As far as the -1 Wp goes: If you're facing a crew that doesn't have much Wp-based attacks, then no problem.....if you are, then it may not be worth it. Either way, Howard is an expensive killer and he does it well with Nimble and Flurry....not much can survive him........give him Imbued Energies for Fast as well...that's a powerful combo even if he isn't a beast.

I also think you're ham-stringing yourself a little by only considering the Raptor if you're facing a shooty army. They're excellent for other things.......engaging a shooter isn't their only purpose. They're great for blocking charge lanes, or engaging a melee murderer to keep them busy for a turn....an expensive model wasting an activation to kill a 3ss bird is totally worth it. I like them for Scheme denial insurance......got an enemy getting ready to claim a Squatter's marker? Terror Tot slipping toward your DZ getting ready to drop Scheme markers? Don't have anyone in position to stop them? Bam....drop in a Raptor....no more Interact actions until they get rid of it or get away and it's Melee is high enough to make disengaging uncertain....they can last long enough so you can get someone else there to deal with that threat. Them giving out the Beast trait is just a bonus.......hey, I win Initiative, Marcus activates......Domesticate :)

You will know when you set up if the -1 wp is a problem. If they have several models that attack wp, then think very carefully about doing it.

What are you hoping to achieve from turning Howard into a beast?

I personally would happily field Howard with Marcus, and not bother with trying to beast him. There are certainly some advantages to turning him into a beast, but not enough for me to do it as a default. (but I rarely use Marcus as a buffing master, so I don't care if my crew are beasts or not. Other play styles are availible)

Hi guys a quick question and its to do with why pigs are being considered bearing in mind the seter off, I checked the hog whisperer card and its not an outcast or a beast so was wondering how people were getting it in their marcus lists. Cheers for any help given

Hog Whisperer is a Mercenary......so he can be hired. I fought hard for something like that in the PT (thanks Justin)....unfortunately, I still haven't gotten around to using the pigs.

Post #24....Omenbringer gives some tips on pigs.

Yeah sorry didn't spot the merc trait it was for a friend. I feel that 6ss just for the pleasure of pigs is a lot when there are other beasts that can do a similar role. I feel the 6ss can be better spent. Cheers though guys I appreciate it

Yeah. That seems to be the problem. I could see the potential for possibly fielding one or two of the ones that deploy 'From the Shadows'.....just for a 1st turn attack if you want to be hyper-aggressive and keep the enemy on their side of the table. Might combo well if you do a couple of Raptors as well......and maybe a Myranda with Skinwalker......or maybe a Killjoy delivery system......or both.

Defo think that can work the boars seem like the ones for that but I think It could be a very expensive waste of models as they will likely get killed first turn but hey they may be good for say deliver the message or distract schemes and really put a hinderence on models taking actions if they dont want you scoring points haha

• 4 weeks later...

I tried out a couple of different beasts to my usual ones on Monday night, and I was pleasantly surprised by both the Night Terror and Shikome. I was playing against Von Schill and Viks in a three way game, and I took the Night Terror to try and close down some of the shooting of Von Schill. It actually worked really well, using it's Attracted to Noise to move close, then a double walk to stand next to some sort of sniper model and effectively tie it down for most of the game. My query here is - if I'm using it for this reason is a Malifaux Raptor a better choice? It doesn't rely on someone shooting to get across the field, and has a bigger base size to block more lines of retreat.

The Shikome was a lot more subtle, and I'm not 100% sure how to get the best out of it. I liked it's ability to get aroud quickly, and if the target has the Adversary condition it seemed like it would do a huge amount of damage (as long as you don't draw the Black Joker on it! *facepalm*) but getting the condition onto the enemy seems rather tricky. It would work really well hiring two, as you can use one to fly up and Adversary someone, then use the other to attack it, but I'm not really sure how to do it with just one as the condition goes at the end of the turn. Alpha could be an option, but then that's a lot of AP funneled through the Shikome and it could leave the rest of the crew a little isolated.

Opinions?

I haven't used the Shikome yet......basically because I agree on Adversary....tough for one Shikome to do by itself....it really shines in a Karai crew because other models can dish it out.

I think the NT/Raptor choice is more dependent on strat/scheme choices. If you have Recon, or Outflank/Take Prisoner the NT might be a better choice since it's a Minion, it can't Interact, but it counts for table quarters and such so can have multiple uses it just takes a little longer to get there, and can be blocked.....whereas the Raptor can't do anything (Peon/Insignificant) but there's no stopping it from interfering with something......you're starting turn 2 engaged with the Raptor.....there's also no stopping it if you want to redeploy it....it can just Take to the Sky again (no Disengaging Strike).

It also has a 'you're a beast' trigger which the NT lacks....so if you're playing more supportive with Marcus, they can make Domesticate better (and of course anything else Marcus can do with Beasts.....Alpha, Defend Me). The Raptor also makes an excellent 'Killjoy Delivery System'.

Has anyone had any success running a Rogue Necromancy in your Marcus crews? Do you use it as a replacement for a Sabertooth Cerebus and for what situations? Or do you use it in tandem with a Sabertooth? It costs more soulstone-wise, so that's my ambivalence in making that financial commitment. Thanks for your opinions.

Has anyone had any success running a Rogue Necromancy in your Marcus crews? Do you use it as a replacement for a Sabertooth Cerebus and for what situations? Or do you use it in tandem with a Sabertooth? It costs more soulstone-wise, so that's my ambivalence in making that financial commitment. Thanks for your opinions.

I can't help you there. I haven't tried it.....I don't own one.....I've never felt like I needed it.

I've not used it yet, but I don't really see it as a replacement for a Cerberus. Then again, I'm yet to hire a Cerberus! (Though Myranda usually turns into one for me...)

I think if you're going to spend 10ss on something, you're going to want to base your plan around it to some extent. As it's shooting attack is OPActivation, you're going to want to Alpha it to get the most out of it. For me, that would mean probably dropping the RSR, as I find that is what I want to use Alpha on in most games. I may even be tempted to use the Dawn Serpent at the same time and go for an all out shooty crew, but only if facing someone that's going to come at me. (And if the schemes suit it!)

I was going to give it a go in my next game, once I have some table time with it I'll report back.

• 3 weeks later...

Played a 30SS game that I thought you might be interested in, mostly from what I learned in the game.

I wanted to try out the piglets, and knew there was a gremlin merc that I could take, but could remember which one it was until after the game, so I went in with just the Piglets. Ick... It was the Hog Whisperer, and I will never field Piglets without the guy again (I would have used my opponent's model). But that's alright. Once the pigs got finished charging my own models (smacking Cojo once or twice, and Marcus once with a push), they were rather effective at holding the line, bowling back the enemy from the Turf War strat, and generally being nuisances with significant.

The other big thing I tried this game was take the Siphon Soulstone upgrade. I was playing with 2 pigs and against Mei Feng, so I got a lot of traction with this upgrade when the Rail Workers died. I think I got 3-4 extra SS's out of the deal, which was huge, and allowed me to spend them liberally.

I think I'm figuring out how to use the Jackalope effectively now. Leap, charge obviously, but I'm enjoying keeping it a distance away from my crew, reactivating it with Marcus, and having it charge a second time, should my opponent allow that... very silly. He downed a Rail Worker first turn with a charge and a Smell Fear attack, and was able to leap a second time and charge Kang... absolutely brutal. Also thinking of adding in Sue for the scheme marker drop when it ultimately dies for the first time.

I really enjoy playing this guy's crew. :)

• Like 1

Mmmmh, Jackalope......

For me the Jackalope is a big bundle of distraction/irritation. Sufficiently dangerous that it needs dealing with, but sufficiently weak that people don't want to waste resources killing it. Also very good for standing next to people so they can't interact with stuff.

I wouldn't have thought that it was worth Alpha'ing the Jackolope, but its charge damage is pretty handy, and it can use leap to disengage, and then charge again.

I use mine like SSSK, its annoying the opponent, but they know that all the effort they put into killing it will be undune when they kill somethign else of mine. If I', trying to prevent interactions, then Defensive stance is pretty good.

The Rogue necromancy is completly different to the Ceberus, the lack of leap means I coudn't use it in the same way. It is a big damage dealing monster thought, both in melee and at range, so its probably more likely to replace Cojo or a slate ridge mauler (Or Howard and the Rail golem,) depending on  in use. I can't rememebr running one with Marcus recently, btu I've been enjoying using one with McMorning, as a big hitter. There is a fine balence of when to keep it at range to make the most of the Acid breath, and when to go into the fight to use the Claws, and try and get the extra attacks from Smell fear.

I wouldn't have thought that it was worth Alpha'ing the Jackolope, but its charge damage is pretty handy, and it can use leap to disengage, and then charge again.

I use mine like SSSK, its annoying the opponent, but they know that all the effort they put into killing it will be undune when they kill somethign else of mine. If I', trying to prevent interactions, then Defensive stance is pretty good.

I didn't think it would be worth it either, but I honestly was waiting for my opponents' advance so I was playing more passively than usual. I was pretty well set up to keep the opponent out of the Turf War area, and didn't see a reason to advance. I had a great hand, and the Jackalope was in a strangely good position to hold back his vanguard with 12 damage before armor off his two activations. Seemed like the thing to do. I was able to get a third charge out of the guy after he died, returned, and waited a turn to get rid of slow, and that one had Darzee's Chaunt on it.

I love taking down a model that's 3-4x its SS cost with the Jackalope, and then simply bringing it back as if it were nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

is the jack the best totem, I tried essence with him but it didn't really work out, I was trying a support buff/debuff alpha spam type (thought alpha still took the activation away) it just couldn't keep up and still buff Marcus.

also I'm almost certain I know the answer, but if I use the spell that buffs beast wp and debuffs non beast wp and then I turn an enemy into a beast do they get the buff wp as it is an on-going condition?

I just got Marcus. I decided to go ahead and put together my Miss Step. I was thinking of using a Canine Remains to give her Beast (at the cost of -1 WP) for the rest of the game and then using Myranda and Marcus to boost her up.

I have never run Arcanist before. Does that seem like it would be good or would it be too much resources versus payoff.

is the jack the best totem, I tried essence with him but it didn't really work out, I was trying a support buff/debuff alpha spam type (thought alpha still took the activation away) it just couldn't keep up and still buff Marcus.

also I'm almost certain I know the answer, but if I use the spell that buffs beast wp and debuffs non beast wp and then I turn an enemy into a beast do they get the buff wp as it is an on-going condition?

I prefer the Jack because it's fluffy...it's also an awesome totem.....I wouldn't take it in Reckoning or if Make Them Suffer is in the Scheme Pool. I'm not sure what you mean about it buffing Marcus....it's really best on its own just running harassment and distraction....keeping enemies from charging or interacting.....it's really great against Rezzers because they usually have low Df and his charging Weak damage of 3 is the kind of thing that tears Rezzers down.

You're right about Howl......they would get the +2 buff.........however, once they are a Beast, they're still an enemy so will be affected by Domesticate.....when playing support Marcus, Howl, Domesticate, and Feral all go hand in hand.

I just got Marcus. I decided to go ahead and put together my Miss Step. I was thinking of using a Canine Remains to give her Beast (at the cost of -1 WP) for the rest of the game and then using Myranda and Marcus to boost her up.

I have never run Arcanist before. Does that seem like it would be good or would it be too much resources versus payoff.

I'm a very strong 'fluff' player, so I would never do that.....I do think it's probably a waste of resources and Marcus doesn't need to to go outside of Beasts to be competitive, however the Steamborg is pretty impressive and there is nothing wrong with going outside of Beasts....and an Alpha on that thing would probably be very mean.  You might consider the Raptor over the Canine for turning it Beast....it doesn't have the Wp de-buff.

I'm a very strong 'fluff' player, so I would never do that.....I do think it's probably a waste of resources and Marcus doesn't need to to go outside of Beasts to be competitive, however the Steamborg is pretty impressive and there is nothing wrong with going outside of Beasts....and an Alpha on that thing would probably be very mean.  You might consider the Raptor over the Canine for turning it Beast....it doesn't have the Wp de-buff.

I didn't think Marcus needed to go outside of beasts to be competitive (he looks pretty awesome as is). I just want to use my Miss Step (Marcus is my first Arcanist Master) and wondered if it would be a good idea.

Also, thanks for the tip about the Raptors. I might proxy them until I get them (they were already on the top of my beast list just for (2) action).

You're right about Howl......they would get the +2 buff.........however, once they are a Beast, they're still an enemy so will be affected by Domesticate.....when playing support Marcus, Howl, Domesticate, and Feral all go hand in hand.

Just Howl first, its a pulse isn't it IIRC...

Howl when they're not a beast to reduce WP by 2, then make them a beast WITH WP-2.

Pretty cash.