Webmonkey's Garage Kits,...

Webmonkey

Magnets and options would be great. These are such time investments, you may as well have all the different poses prepped.

Also, random question on the pastel shading. How heavy or light of a clear coat do you use? Also, i assume a spray coat and not a brush on?

Vin>> Yes, I tend to use a spray coat (testors - dull coat, in this case) as opposed to a brush coat. But I don't see any reason why a brush coat wouldn't work just as well. And I tend to spray it just the same as if I were actually sealing the model at the end of the painting process. You may end up with multiple coats of finish, but all that does is helps protect your model from chipping even more then usual.

The process is as follows,..

1)Start with your resin/plastic/metal model

2)Apply a spray primer. White or black doesn't really matter, and will likely be determined but what sort of colors you are going to be working with.

3)Check over your piece for flaws. Usually these will be mould casting lines or in the case of resin, sometimes there's little "pitts", from air bubbles that got trapped inside the resin/plastic. (changing the angle that you view it at under a bright light really helps, as it casts a shadow from the flaws).

You will need to either sand the flaws out, (I use 400 grit sandpaper. And be sure to use "Rounded" motions, so that you don't work "flat spots" into the thighs or what have you),.. or you'll have to fill in the pitts. You can use putty, green stuff, fimo,.. or my personal favorite,.. put a little superglue in the hole, and then (using the blade of your x-acto knife), mash a bit of baking powder into it. Let dry, and then sand just a little to smooth it out.

After this, re-prime,.. then recheck for flaws. If more are found, repeat step 3 (as many times as it takes) Once you don't find any more flaws,.. then, it's on to paint!!!

4)Apply your paint, base coat. Airbrush or regular brush, doesn't really matter.

5)Clear coat,..

6)Apply your chosen pastel in all the valleys, and usually along any line where 2 colors meet, and then smooth out into the larger, more open areas of color. In the case of flesh tones (for example), you'd apply your burnt sienna or red-ish color, upon the skin, along the hair line. And then smooth it out down onto the forehead or cheeks. A bit over the eyes, but under the brow line,.. and partially down each side of the nose. A bit to the mouth, in the ear, and a bit around the ear (front and back if necessary). Under the chin, in the curve where the jaw starts to bend down into the neck. And a bit under the hairline on the back of the neck (if accessible). Then, from all these lines, just remember to smooth out into the larger areas of nearby flesh.

This works for other colors too, but the flesh is easiest to see for most beginner types I think.

7)Clear coat again,...

8)Move to next pastel color, repeat step 6,...

9)Clear coat again,...

10)Move to next pastel color, repeat step 6,...

11)Clear coat again,...

Etc,... etc,.... etc,... Until you've done all your colors, or otherwise decide you are finished.

Here's a more completed shot. Still have to freehand the book cover, paint the inner pages white and put some writing on them, and glue it in place. The head still needs to go through the pastel process, (especially the hair), but you can still get the overall sense of the model this way.

post-8871-13911930181219_thumb.jpg

post-8871-13911930182019_thumb.jpg

And of course,... the scale image shot,.. just 'cause I haven't done one of those for this model yet *grin*

post-8871-13911930182961_thumb.jpg

"Lazy Kakashi" pose,.. complete,...

post-8871-13911930183687_thumb.jpg

post-8871-1391193018437_thumb.jpg

post-8871-13911930185122_thumb.jpg

I was free-handing the book cover and such. Hopefully I got it close enough that you can tell what it's supposed to be. And hopefully the anime fans out there won't kill me *grin* Anyways,.. here's the image of his book that I was working from,..

post-8871-13911930185813_thumb.jpg

BUT WAIT!!!!,... this model isn't complete yet,.. there's still one more pose to go!!!

Stay tuned for future updates!!!

I still have a bit of work I want to do to the sharingan eye, to help dial it in a bit more. But outside of that,...

Kakashi,... complete,..

And once again,... Thanks to everyone for following along, and for having nice things to say.*grin*

Hopefully I've done the character and the model some justice, and painted them to an acceptable level. (I don't need a horde of angry gamers and anime fans surrounding my house with pitchforks and torches,..*grin*)

As always, comments and critiques welcome.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Should I give you guys a break from these? Or should I do the next one? It's a female elf mage.

I'm telling you,.. it's far easier then wet or dry blending. And for the whole 5 bucks I spent on the set,... I tell you, it's worth every penny.

I suppose some traditionalists may say that it's invalid as a medium, because you aren't using actual paint to achieve your effects. But to those people, I stick my tongue out and say,..

Ppppbbbssssstttt!!!!!!

I say that whatever means you have to achieve a good looking model is all fair game. Anyways, Try it out, and see what kind of results you get. It's been working amazingly for me so far. And even if you end up hating it,.. you'll only be out about $5.00 American.

I still can't figure out what exactly you're doing, but it obviously works cause it comes out great!

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Pastels an invalid medium???? That's crazy talk. One of the great things about painting anything, 2 or 3 dimensional is the freedom to explore different mediums as well as techniques. There's no such thing as "invalid".

Plus there's this too, lol. Well said, better than I could come up with!