Webmonkey's Garage Kits,...

Webmonkey

I'd guess it will work but will want a stronger shade than the big stuff would, to accentuate the shape at the tiny size. Though I'll wait for the results of your fiddling to find out for real *wink*

I know someone who not only thinks there's only one valid set of tools and medium, but also that there's only one correct style in miniature painting (and that he's the judge of which it is). He doesn't talk to me anymore after I told him where to shove it... There's no such thing as a wrong method, unless it doesn't do what you want it to!

There's no such thing as a wrong method, unless it doesn't do what you want it to!

Pretty much. I have entire sets of techniques that are quite impossible to do using the 'traditional methods' of blending, wet or dry. Use whatever works for the necessary effect.

I'd probably never even consider starting working on model in this scale as it's really not my cup of tea but I have to admit that your paintjob on this one is exceptionally good.

In all honesty,.. I think it was the black-lining that made all the difference on this one. The pastels helped some too though. But I don't think would have come off as well without the lining.

ok,.. this one isn't mine,.. it's my wife's. She's been trying to learn how to do these along-side me. I've been trying to teach her without doing it for her. I offered only advice and explanation on techniques. Other then that,... every single brush stroke on these is hers. I'm proud of what she was able to accomplish on her first time out, and thought that I'd share the results with you guys.

C&C appreciated, so that I can share it with her,..

post-8871-13911930266313_thumb.jpg

post-8871-13911930267055_thumb.jpg

Woah. That is gorgeous, lol. Very well done, especially for a first attempt! For me, I'd say that the black needs a little more highlighting, right now it looks fairly flat. I also think the skin tone could use some more definition with shading, but it doesn't look bad how it is at all.

Here's a shot of the base coat,.. pre-shaded. Right now it's just raw, flat color. This time out, I'm gonna try to shade using just the pastels and no airbrush pre-shadowing at all. It should be an interesting experiment. And if it works, I might be able to cut out a step in my process, and still achieve the same results.

post-8871-13911930280339_thumb.jpg

post-8871-13911930281762_thumb.jpg

now that the leg is shaded. I need to move onto the next section. The next leg is attached to the torso and body. I couldn't get a good picture of the pitts on the raw, white resin,.. so I went ahead and painted some of the base color onto the leg and body.

But here's a picture of the pitts that I've been talking about. These are the air bubbles that sometimes get caught in the resin. This is the reason to prime and inspect your pieces under a lamp. Then you can sand/fill in the pitts as necessary. For this area, there's lots of little pitts that could be sanded out. But there's also a couple of large ones. I'd likely have to sand down too far to blend it in naturally. So, I'm probably going to fill them in.

Anyways,.. here's a look at what I'm talking about,..

post-8871-13911930283055_thumb.jpg

Edited by Webmonkey

You can use putty, green stuff, fimo,.. or my personal favorite,.. put a little superglue in the hole, and then (using the blade of your x-acto knife), mash a bit of baking powder into it. Let dry, and then sand just a little to smooth it out.

I'll be going the superglue route.

Another easy resin bubble fix is to use watered down milliput (the regular grey kind). Water it down to milk like consistency then brush it on like a thin coat of paint.

I've used that method to fill in pits since the rogue trader 40k days. cheap and easy and very easy to sand down without scraping too hard. Old lead models were easy to take chunks from, along with a thumb, when using an exacto knife to scrape.

Haven't done much the past couple of days. (been layed up,.. blew my knee out). But I did get enough done to give you a base idea of the direction I'm going. Don't worry about the underwear. I painted it for effect, but once I get the dress/skirt on, you won't see any of it. The body itself is raw basecoat, but the detached leg has been shaded. I wanted you guys to be able to see the subtle difference that the pastels can make.

post-8871-13911930293834_thumb.jpg