Playing with your Wong,...

Webmonkey

Admit it!!!,.. you just thought something dirty, didn't you??? *grin* (lets see how far this goes before the bad jokes start in)

Anyways,.. I have two basic questions to toss out to the crowd.

First, I picked up Wong to paint him, mostly because I dig the concept of a Gremlin Wizard. I usually don't paint things like they look on the box. But I tried several different colors of robes and only the blue really seemed to work. So, given that I've stuck to the blue, I was thinking about changing it up somehow to make it a bit more unique. Maybe some kind of magic runes or scrollwork around the base of the robe, the cuff of the sleeves, and perhaps the neckline? Other thoughts??

Second has anyone actually taken him in a crew?How does he play? Is he worth the points? What tactics do you guys suggest?

I generally believe people should always experiment with their Wong and War Cocks Roosters. I can also very well imagine people catapulting their Wong into the enemy ranks and thus penetrating them severely.

The original art has little sketches of gremlins and pigs on it. Try something similar to that?

Alright,.. here's a picture of my Wong, for your viewing pleasure. (don't get to say that too often *grin*)

It still seems a bit "flat" to me. I could use some more highlights on the edges of the robes I suppose. But it still seems to need something more to break up the blue. I was thinking some kind of moon and/or star patterns maybe? Or maybe some runes,.. but the question is, what color? white? gold?,... thoughts???

post-8871-13911929521479_thumb.jpg

What if you go a "sorcerer Mickey" route? Instead of having the mickey mouse ear insignia you make one with pointy ears and slightly more gaunt head shape?

~Lil Kalki

That's a thought,.. although, I'm not sure about the red robes against the green skin. The moon and stars on the hat would translate easy enough though.

Alright,.. new pic. A bit more highlights and shading done. I put a temporary gold crescent moon and a few stars on the hat to see what the overall effect might be. Not sure that I'm happy going that route. Probably gonna try some oriental or druidic runes next. Might go to my LGS and play with my Wong for the first time,.. in public even!!! *grin*

Thoughts?

post-8871-13911929605108_thumb.jpg

Alright,.. here's a picture of my Wong, for your viewing pleasure. (don't get to say that too often *grin*)

It still seems a bit "flat" to me. I could use some more highlights on the edges of the robes I suppose. But it still seems to need something more to break up the blue. I was thinking some kind of moon and/or star patterns maybe? Or maybe some runes,.. but the question is, what color? white? gold?,... thoughts???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13608[/ATTACH]

it appears flat because the large blue area doesn't have a huge gradient to the high light, paint him navy blue and work up from there also with him being green try a dark purple or maroon and maybe paint his hat a different color. the matching "mom brought back from the mall" hat and robe "outfit" is too much space for one color

Edited by Roenalt

agreed,.. but I was mostly just "roughing it in" to see if I liked it being there or not. I'm leaning towards not. So now, it's a question of what else to try. I had been contemplating a different pattern, but now I'm thinking of trying to pull off a "color-fade" in the robe. I'm thinking of keeping the blue at the edges of the cuffs, the neck line, and the bottom edge of the "skirt-line",.. and then fading into a different color (I'm thinking maybe a cream color) in the middle. and the same with the hat,.. blue at the head ring, and then fading up to the tip of the hat. I think it'll add some depth to the character and help break up the huge area of blue.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

It is difficult to see properly with your blitz turned on. (but the rest of the setup with background for your photo is top notch). A glimmer of small golden stars on his hat sounds good, but so does a few chinese symbols I guess. If you were to put more work into it, I would give the robe a second highlight and maybe some shading under his armpit too.