Older Models Converted To Plastic?

D-A-C

Hey everyone.

I was just wondering has there been any news about when and if the older releases will ever be transitioned over to the newer plastics?

Also, now that we have had them for a while are you looking forward to a switchover (if there is one) or are you going to stick with metal models and probably end up scouring ebay for older metal models once/if they run out of production?

I personally like working with plastic as its much easier for me to assemble (sometimes I cry when a metal model arrives in pieces that require assembly so I would welcome a complete switchover.

What do you think?

I am a little torn on the subject.

Some of the plastics have proven to be a bit fiddly and difficult to work with. However, several have been just fine. Vanessa for instance, wasn't too bad at all. The relic hunter set as well was just a joy to assemble. The masters of the path set did drive me a little crazy though. lol.

I guess it would depend on how they went about doing it. I would love to see the box sets re-released, mostly just to get new sculpts of many of the old models. for instance, new death marshals would make me quite happy. or an alt sculpt of the razorspine rattler. :D

However, if it goes along with their current plans, i would assume we would not be able to buy anything from the box unless we bought the box itself. which would be fine with me, but it would affect how many i would be able to pick up. or at least how quickly i aquired them.

Overall, i do think i would be looking forward to it. But i will always miss the weight of the metals.

I haven't heard anything about this ever happening though. I want to say there was some talk back when they annouced the switch to plastic, but that could have just been people asking if it will happen, and not someone saying either way.

I would assume that EVENTUALLY they will go this route, as they said the plastic would be cheaper in the long run. But until we hear something official i am going to keep my hopes from getting too high since this would be a lot of work and i have to assume that this time of year they are getting ready to prepare everything for the gencon season. So they probably have thier hands full at the moment. haha.

but a guy can dream... right? ;)

I don't really have a preference. Even if they plastic'd the things I own I wouldn't buy new. And I'd buy the metal/plastic whichever was cheaper/I could get. I will say I've found Wyrd's plastics to generally be a pain to put together, but that can change with time.

Unless they were truly impressive new sculpts, I probably wouldn't rebuy any models. However, if I don't yet have the models (which, at this point is getting to be quite the small list), and they cost the same, it'll come down to which sculpts I prefer.

If and when they switch over to all plastic, there's no need to just up and quit. Oh, no, it takes an extra step to assemble some eye-catching models. And with all of the crazy and / or amazing basing ideas people have, weight of the model shouldn't even be a factor.

I am torn between the two. I like metal in some things and plastic on others. The mainly problem is that sometimes their plastic wasn't really designed to be handled on gaming. Otherwise they would have definitely scaled things up. Problem with the metal is the detail is normally not as good specially in small details like fingers and faces and the paint chipping over time

And with all of the crazy and / or amazing basing ideas people have, weight of the model shouldn't even be a factor.

The only reason i mention the weight is while i have, in the past, been one of those who make the crazy bases with all sorts of goodies to help with the weight of the model, as of late i have tried to scale that back. I find them much more difficult to get a game in with, especially on the terraclips. I got tired of not being able to put my character on the ladders or stairs because their bases were too big. haha.

So while many of them are still on home made swamp bases with greenstuff, glue, flock, sand, water effects, and more, all of my guild stuff is on a fairly straightforward, and quite light, cobblestone -esque basing. Though i suppose it would be a non-issue if i were to pick up some metal inserts. that would probably even itself out then.

i suppose i'm happy either way. it wasn't so much a complaint as an observation. =]

For me it depends on the model. I'm just as likely to buy a model to paint as I am to use it. Some of the new plastics are cool looking, but I don't know if the scale has been one I like. Things are smaller proportionally overall, and it doesn't feel like I'm painting in 30mm scale.

I don't know if they'll go back, but I have picked up some of the alt masters to paint (at some distant point in the future when I figure out how to manipulate time) as I like their sculpts better.

Has there been any news from Wyrd about this? I have been waiting to hear since the plastic announcement, but they never talked about any old figures. With almost all the models from the latest book being available and still a few months until GenCon (typically when the new books and figures are released) what will they be releasing for Malifaux? I personally prefer plastic and want to get some of the old crews in plastic, but Wyrd hasn't said if that will happen or not. Anyone at Wyrd feel like shining a light on the subject?

I'm a big supporter of the metal models, but when I bought a new plastic Guild Riflemens... their beauty captivated me. This plastic is not as flexible as I thought and molds are practically invisible, so I think there's a chance for me to accept a plastic Malifaux.

I don't think the switch to plastic ruins the game or anything like that. Wyrd seems to be getting a handle on the plastic model production as well.

My Miss Terious seemed too smooth in places and seemed just a bit off in general. My riflemen and strongarm suit are both great plastic sculpts though.

So, it seems that practice and experience are making all of the difference. I think the rush to get things out for Gen Con resulted in a bit of a slip in quality as they were getting to grips with the new format.

As far as the weight concern goes, you can always add a small washer to the bottom of the bases to give the minis a little more heft. A bag of washers is pretty cheap at a DIY store. I've used them in the past for 40k figures that were off balance. Works just as well for Malifaux minis.