How to transport plastic Malifaux miniatures? :)

rob_alderman

I have never heard of the idea of using toolboxes and magnets. Does it work well? Do the figures move around at all or do they stay put? What are the pros and cons of using the toolbox/magnet combo?

You won't save any money compared to the foam cases, big tool boxes can cost $30 -60, magnets can run up to $0.10 each.

The biggest advantage is that there is no foam rubbing your paint off

I have had some problems with the 10mm magnets being stronger than the glue I used (zap-a-gap). I have recently switched to 2.5mm cubes and using 2of them on a 30mm base and it seems to be working better.

I have no problems with models sliding. I did have a small problem with the 10mm magnets being stronger than my glue

I am a proponent of magnets as well. For games at my local games stores, I use a ferrous cookie sheet to transport my miniatures. For conventions and trips when my car is full, I probably need to get a toolbox, metal-lined box or some other carrier.

One thing that I have found not to work to well is to use the peel-and-stick craft magnets to create a box to carry the miniatures. They slid around when I was using it. I have never had a miniature slide of fall off of my cookie sheet, though!

I have had some problems with the 10mm magnets being stronger than the glue I used (zap-a-gap). I have recently switched to 2.5mm cubes and using 2of them on a 30mm base and it seems to be working better.

Another option is to bury them in something like Milliput or Green stuff rather than just glue alone.

Another option is to bury them in something like Milliput or Green stuff rather than just glue alone.

I thought of that too, but I needed to order more magnets anyway, so I figured I'd try that first. The new plastics are so much lighterI that I only need one of the cubes to keep it down sufficiently

I'm curious as to what kind of foam cases people are using that are causing these problems? I use the Sabol ones that allow you to custom size the spaces and leave a little extra on the sides so there's no rubbing/snagging. I'm careful enough with the case but I've knocked it around more than once and my Dead Rider (no pinning, held together with green stuff, glue, and prayers) hasn't had any issues with little bits popping off :knocking on wood as I type this:.

But reading all this I'm starting to get paranoid about my new plastics and whether I should worry about them in the case.

I'd suspect that a case such as the Warmahordes style ones that stay vertical would be better for miniatures in general. The Malifaux bags, while relatively compact, in keeping with 'Faux being a skirish game, have not been kind to most of my metal models, due to having to carry them with the models up-eneded, then flopping them flat to remove some of them, then flipping the whole thing over to get to the stat cards, fate deck, soulstones, etc.

Should I finally get a larger bag or switch to something comparable, one Malifaux bag will go all gremlin, all the time, while my other one is likely to become my Puppet Wars bag.

Several players at one of the Game Stores I used to frequent in San Diego (shout out Pair A Dice games) swore by the Cheap Walmart Rifle cases for transporting their Games Workshop plastic models.

I used/use a pistol case from Walmart. For my old tau army, the figures went on the top. Under that layer, was more foam. I cut out areas to put my suites and vehicle. It worked really well, but the minis are FAR more solid than most of the Malifaux models I own. I also use this setup for my personal minis collection. They were like $7, and you could hold a bunch of minis. I would not recommend that for Malifaux.

Another way of transporting Minis I have used, is with my Warmaster (GW) minis. Instead of plastic bases, they were mounted on metal bases cut the same. Then , I put a roll of craft magnets on the bottom. It has worked like a champ.

I BOUGHT a Malifaux bag, but I have broken a few pieces off of minis already in it. I am thinking a nice, solid box of some sort, sheetmetal, and small magnets MAY be the way to go. (that or a metal toolbox... will have to check out Harbor Freight) Thanks for those ideas, everyone!

(This is the pistol case I use: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Protector-Series-Four-Pistol-Case/16662942)

Edited by Rifter
added link