McCabe help

Agreen53

My main issue right now is trying to figure out how to play McCabe in a strategy that is not about objectives or getting to locations. Contain power, Supply wagon, Distract or Slaughter are problem Strategies that McCabe just can't get done.

What should I take to complete them with a high probability of success or would you not even bother with McCabe?

I have not had much success with McCabe and am looking for advice or list building help to complete those super difficult schemes. Of course the games I have played have been against Lady J and Mei Feng with not much helping. Death Marshalls seem to work pretty well, but Sidir has been worthless to me so far.

Sidir might be good for a Supply Wagon strat.....since he can just stay with it and shoot at anything that comes too close.........his speed shouldn't be an issue with that.

Since this is in the Guild forum I assume you're taking him as such, in which case, take whatever you need. McCabe is a great all-arounder.....what does he do for synergy? Aside from the Luna buff with hounds and his Companion (Black Sheep), everything else is useful to anyone really........okay, Keep Up! is living only and the Badge of Speed is Black Sheep and Guardsmen (which could mean extra Austringer shots).

What else does he do? Slows the enemy down, maybe reduces their DF, then he has several options.....slow down better with Hunter, stay alive longer with the bridle and the shirt, be more killy with paired.........one of my favorites is the Staghorn - how about increasing the Executioner's Cg to an 8 for a 10" threat range.....or the same for Stalkers.

Slowing the enemy is great by itself....since it can keep the pressure off of some of the Guild's shooters like Santiago or Nino............those guys are horrible if engaged, but if not they kill things dead...keeping the enemy Slow (no charging) and away really helps, but if they get past you you have the option to Paralyze them as well.

Take whatever models you think will work for the Strat, then just add McCabe and let him do what he does.

Firstly, are you running him as a 10T or Guild Master?

Running him as a 10 Thunders Master opens up so many more options and still allows him to take Sidir (if you manage to get mileage out of him), Wastrels, and Guardsmen.

I haven't used him on those Strategies yet, but, with his mobility, I don't see why he wouldn't be great at them. I would recommend Invigorating Bridle and Strange Metal Shirt, to make him more resilient if he's going to be getting up close and personal with the enemy. Maybe take a high starting soulstone pool, too, just in case.

For the missions that involve killing, I'd take a pile of the more hard-hitting models and use McCabe as a more supportive Master - slowing the enemy down and pushing up your own models to get them into range. The executioner would benefit alot from the extra movement and unless I'm mistaken, McCabe could keep pushing Santiago out of melee to get maximum use of his guns.

Witchling Stalkers would be good too. In fact I think they're an excellent choice for McCabe in general. Not only does he grant them some really great mobility, but with Bearskin armour he's immune to their immolating demise. ;)

McCabe could keep pushing Santiago out of melee to get maximum use of his guns.

Yeah, good catch.....I forgot that Keep Up! was a Push.......that's convenient.

Witchling Stalkers would be good too. In fact I think they're an excellent choice for McCabe in general. Not only does he grant them some really great mobility, but with Bearskin armour he's immune to their immolating demise. ;)

And Hell Yeah! Might not be a bad idea to put a few Stalkers in there along with a Handler.....they'd be extra fast then.

I am running McCabe as Guild. I have only played 2 games with him, so still trying to figure out his tricks. Biggest issue I guess is spreading too much, with the rest of his crew.

The two games I have run him, both were supply wagon. Sidir got wrecked in Melee both times cause masters (LJ and Mei) punched him in the face both times. McCabe did great both games but got wrecked in melee due to volume of incoming attacks even with Strange metal shirt. Just could not get damage done in any regard against foes, even with a red joker twice. McCabe was paralyzing and slowing just fine. Just ran into the issue my crew couldn't keep up and shoot with him. It seems to do well he needs to run up shoot and back up, to let his minions keep up with him.

Wastrels I have learned are for taking objectives and slowing down a model for a turn at best, cause they will be dead sooner than later once they enter melee regardless of load out.

Have not tried taking Austringers or Nino with him, because I thought it was just leaning on the crutch too much.

Models that I think would work well for him (as guild only):

Ryle

Austringers

Nino

Drill Sergeant

Ortegas

Witchlings

Watcher

Guardian

Pale Rider

Exorcist

As 10T

Mr. Tannen

Mr. Graves

Ten Thunders Archer

Torakage

Oryan

Ten Thunders Brothers

Rail Workers

Either

Jack Daw

Hans?

Killjoy

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Just not used to thinking of guild in terms of melee. Only guys that come to mind readily are:

Francisco

Executioner

Judge

Guild Guard Captain

Guild Guard

Nino is an Ortega :P

You can't expect most masters to be able to stand up to the likes of Lady J or Mei in melee......any minion is just meat.

Stalkers are awesome melee fighters.

Why think melee if you don't want to.......as mentioned above, you can make great use of the shooters by getting them out of melee if you need to.

Have you played much Mali? Is McCabe your first? Guild has some awesome versatility for ranged, melee, magic, anti-magic.........their biggest lack is mobility - which McCabe can help with.

I have played Mali since February 2012. Ressers were first pick up, Gremlins second, and now I am doing guild because I thought they would be more challenging and they are.

Experience using guild masters in most to least:

Lucius (7 games), Lady J (3), McCabe (2), Sonnia (2), Perdita (1), Hoffman (0)

Just haven't had much luck dealing with melee masters/lists with guild. The greatest moment I had was using a Guild Lawyer to get Lord Chompy to Fall back.

One thing you might want to use sidir with mccabe would be his ability that has a model + anything within range of target model take a df test or recieve slow. It would free up mccabes ap to purely just paraylize models for other minions to gib.

Also with lucious included unless you just want to use 2 austringers with him he can often do just fine with one austringer and just cast deliver orders on 1 to save you 5ss for something else in your list. Oops other thread sorry about that.