An Uphill Struggle: Kirai's Weaker Strategies

LupusFerreus

Okay, so I'm taking Kirai to tournaments later this year and I know that it's very likely the following Strategies will come up:

• Contain Power
  • Reconnoiter
  • Slaughter

I know Kirai is considered a "top tier" master, but I really see these as big weaknesses for her. Insignificant models, Kirai needing to kill stuff, and how shared slaughter works doesn't it suck for her to lose models all the time?

Is there a way for her to win or at least not lose so badly at these strategies? I know I'm a new player but all I can think of is not summoning models for points denial.

For slaughter, keep her near the action and sac a low WD spirit with a high value instead of a Seshin, means you dont give away any points. Means your Seshin last longer. And always keep an Ikerio around, as he gives away no points every time he dies, but hurts and irritates your opponent to have to remove him (Trust me:P)

Reconoiter, i cant see what the problem is here? She can just spam summon significant models all game if the opponent has any living or undead models, so i may need to understand what the problem is you have here? (I have only used Kirai once so am not overly familiar with here)

Contain power, i can not remember at the moment so i shall not comment on.

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

However, i do agree that Slaughter does have the potential to be difficult for Kirai, just by no means impossible.

The easiest way I have found for Kirai to achieve Contain Power is get Chill of Death on the target. The easiest way to do this is to run them out of soul stones or get a 13 and Soul stone the flip and hope to win the duel, then sick a Shikome(with prey going) or Izamu on the master. Not a guarantee, but higher probability of success.

If you're worried about wounds with Kirai, you can either Soothe yourself after casting In the Spirit World or being made a spirit by the Lost Love, or kill some models with Ikiryo.

Night Terrors are always good for Reconnoiter because they clump together. The fact that they're spirits in a Kirai list is really just a plus so you can keep healing them back up so their Hard to Kill has to be overcome again and again. They can also pull each other out of melee if things are getting way too hairy. But Kirai is pretty good at Reconnoiter, anyway, because any spirit can become a significant spirit via a (1) action spell. Even the humble Onryo counts for Reconnoiter, as do Gaki, Jaakuna, Shikome, and Ikiryo.

With Contain Power, you should probably just dedicate a Shikome or two to the enemy master. If you play even moderately defensively, Kirai should pretty much never die. The Lost Love gives her an effective 16 wounds without taking into account healing, wound prevention, etc. If she's alive at the end, you're still up on VPs if your opponent's master is dead (also denying them the ability to kill your master with theirs).

Also, Slaughter points are only counted if your opponent kills or sacrifices your models. If you do it to yourself, I'm 99% certain that it doesn't count toward your opponent's victory. I think the exact wording involves killing or sacrificing "enemy models," but I don't have the RM in front of me, so I can't say for certain. This is also useful for keeping Kirai alive even if you can't evolve one of them, since you can absorb them for some nice benefits. Also, if you have a Dead Rider and stones to spare in a game, go ahead and take him for Slaughter. A self-healing, regenerating spirit Rider is one of the more annoying things I can think of, and he'll give you a bit of punch to give your opponent that extra bit of fear.

The only Strategy Kirai is weak at is Contain Power, which is the only time I personally would include the avatar, as her avatar can get things done. Also don't forget about using your SS with Kirai, if it is beneficial, to prevent the wounds she is taking from summoning. That turn where you want to drop a shikome and the Ikiryo on an enemy model is alot easier to bear when you are not taking between 2-6 of the wounds that would normally take.

With Slaughter, I worry about summoning minions as every model I summon is potential VP for my opponent. Essentially it's "hey, here's some more points you can have!" How do you keep track of all the points?

I'm sure I'll be more confident when I have other Resser masters for strategy options, existing on just Kirai seems to put me at a disadvantage, competitively speaking, as good as Kirai is.

Honestly, with Shared Slaughter I do just that, SLAUGHTER. Start out basic and summon 2 shikome first turn, then have each one use hunting partner on each other every turn....ends games REAL quick. I usually run Datsu-ba just for added healing, as keeping those two alive to murder the bored is critical. If you run a basic list at the start and summon the goodies you can fit in Izamu and then LL him into perma-spirit. . .which also helps to end the game. Having 3-4 models that are almost impossible to kill is my philosiphy, rather then tons of shikome in reserve and gaki. Taken out lilith grow lists without losing a model this way. I'm sure there is someone out there that has a better idea, but hey that's just my two cents.

Ikyrio is also a great model in slaughter in the sense that she wont give away points for being killed. But then again id much rather absorb her for a few added benefits. Ive personally never run 2 shikome in a list as the majority of my games are friendly. Plus i summon an onryo when playing a construct heavy crew to allow me to target there wp :)

Honestly, with Shared Slaughter I do just that, SLAUGHTER. Start out basic and summon 2 shikome first turn, then have each one use hunting partner on each other every turn....ends games REAL quick.

Don't understand what you are doing here?

Are you giving one of them prey with an all action every time after you kill something?

If they both have a prey, then hunting partner is both pointless and in fact actually impeeds.

If neitehr have a prey then it does nothing, and if you have one get the prey, then its a turn behind the other so will struggle to catch up to give it hunting partner.

At best I can see the following

Turn 1 A gains a prey. B moves towards As prey.

Turn 2, A moves towards B, and gives B hunting partner. B moves up to prey and kills it.

Turn 3 B gains a prey, A moves towards it.

Turn 4 B hunting partners A, and probably hurts its prey. A kills prey.

Not really as good as

turn 1 A gains a prey, B gains a prey.

Turn 2 A and B move towards prey.

Turn 3 A and B each reach Prey and kill it.