Priming in Winter?

MetaphoricDragn

So I'm hoping you fine folks may be able to help me with a bit of a conundrum I have.

I picked up a couple new minis over the holiday season that are just begging to be painted. However, in order to paint them they need to be primed first, and there in lies the rub. This is also the season where it is cold, dark, exceedingly humid, and usually wet, none of which is conducive to spray paint priming. I also live in a small apartment, no option to even try to spray inside.

So I'm wondering if anyone has ideas to solve this? I've read about gesso and have tempted to try it. However all my Rasputina crew so far has all been painted from a primed white state. It seems the best way to use gesso is to go with the black. I'm not sure how well white would paint over black, and if it would end up looking different from the rest of my crew. Anyone have experience with gesso? or other priming methods I may not know?

Thank you.

I used my balcony last week, and I was trying a dipping techniques with colored primer. So a good base coat in every crevasse was important. FYI, holding your mini in your hand while priming in subzero temp is not fun. You are effectively spraying you hand in a liquid and adding more wind chill from the spray. I recommend you keep warm water nearby to reheat you hand. I gave up this technique in 3-4 minis because I was losing feeling in my fingers.

after trying that I took a large sheet/drop cloth and put it over my bathroom sink and up the walls. I was able to finish without getting any on the walls. I would only try this near glass surfaces. you can get a glass scrapper at a dollar store, and if you need to you can easily clean the glass in 2 min. I didn't need to do that but its Plan B. Just don't expect to do too many at once. I have a fan in my bathroom an I still didn't want to stay in there after a couple models.

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

I used my balcony last week, and I was trying a dipping techniques with colored primer. So a good base coat in every crevasse was important. FYI, holding your mini in your hand while priming in subzero temp is not fun. You are effectively spraying you hand in a liquid and adding more wind chill from the spray. I recommend you keep warm water nearby to reheat you hand. I gave up this technique in 3-4 minis because I was losing feeling in my fingers.

after trying that I took a large sheet/drop cloth and put it over my bathroom sink and up the walls. I was able to finish without getting any on the walls. I would only try this near glass surfaces. you can get a glass scrapper at a dollar store, and if you need to you can easily clean the glass in 2 min. I didn't need to do that but its Plan B. Just don't expect to do too many at once. I have a fan in my bathroom an I still didn't want to stay in there after a couple models.

Vallejo's Paint on Surface Primer is a god send for these situations. I have a bottle simply for the days when the conditions are not ideal for spray priming. The other thing is, if you have a decently ventilated basement, you could prime there. I do that occasionally when I can't be bothered to pull out some brushes to paint on primer, or I need a batch of minis primed quickly

I second the suggestion of Vallejo paint on primer. It's what I mostly use regardless of the time of year as I didn't think my university accommodation would be keen on me spraying primer around. I've never had any problems with it and you can use it regardless of temperature/humidity/lethargy.

So I'm wondering if anyone has ideas to solve this? I've read about gesso and have tempted to try it. However all my Rasputina crew so far has all been painted from a primed white state. It seems the best way to use gesso is to go with the black. I'm not sure how well white would paint over black, and if it would end up looking different from the rest of my crew. Anyone have experience with gesso? or other priming methods I may not know?

Why not use white gesso? It doesn't give a very even coat but that really doesn't matter unless you intend to use the primer coat as a final colour.

If you can't get in good spray priming conditions i have had good results from vallejo and the old GW brush on primer. It is a little easier IMO than moving heaven and earth to fake good outdoor priming conditions.

Since Malifaux doesn't really need a high model count, you can hand prime a few minis and it is not nearly as awful as hand priming a large model count army.

As for indoor spraying, it'll work, but overspray particles will likely get everywhere. Not a good way to impress a mother/roommate/significant other. Plus, it can be stinky, depending on the primer.

I've got similar conditions that I've been priming in right now. What I've found to work for spray priming in the winter is to find a good area with no cross breeze. Then I will hold the model using a pair of needle nose pliers on the base or part that I'm not to worried about. For spraying I'll spray in short bursts towards the model so that it comes out as a mist rather than a think liquid. I do this till the model is fully covered. As soon as I'm done priming everything, I'll bring all the models inside to dry by putting them in a relatively well vented room that I can turn a fan on and wont need for an hour or so at least (like a bathroom)

Why not use white gesso? It doesn't give a very even coat but that really doesn't matter unless you intend to use the primer coat as a final colour.

I've moved and now have to deal with -40C weather, and white gesso was the solution I came up with as well. Not quite as strong of a bond as traditional primer, but so long as you seal the model after you've painted it, the gesso works just as well. I've used it on both metals and plastics.