SC's new Malifaux painting thread (post-switch to white)

SpiralngCadavr

Somehow I have a craving for falafel after these flail remarks. Damn you dyslexia!

She looks very cool. It seems like a great use for big guy Death Marshal.
@SpiralingCadaver: What did make you think about Hannah when you were converting this mini?
I'm just curious. Because if you didn't mention it in your post I wouldn't recognize her as Hannah.

• Like 1

So, I decided to do a Hannah conversion for my Tara crew (notes, and tactics)

hannah.jpg

And a scale shot:

hannah-comparison.jpg

Actually, the Hannah is surprisingly small (or rather not-huge!) compared to Tara! If Tara is 165cm tall, Hannah would be about exactly 10 cm taller. That's about 4" difference between two individuals, hardly that unreasonable. So much for the "Giant" Death Marshall...*

Caveat: perspective might have fooled me, relative measurements were taken from head to feet from both, and compared to relative difference between my wife and me. Also, I'm assuming both models are in proportional scale to themselves, usually a reasonably safe bet with Wyrd, but less so with most other producers...

Edit: Really cool conversion by the way. Also, I'm a huge fan if yours, the Mei Feng basing you did is by far the best I've seen, and the only example I've seen so far where the original fence looks good! :-)

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone!

Jotun, yeah, thought the flail came out really nicely. I was pleasantly surprised when a GW bit didn't look ridiculously chunky on a Malifaux mini, and was a bit nervous about adding the effects, but thought that an unmodified flail would have been too bland for a supernatural weapon.

Linus... damn, now you have me wanting one, too, and the closest good one I know of is about 800 miles away :(

Regarding the conversion, so, backstory time:

Given Hannah's various Void-based names, there's some likely connection there, which Wyrd may never touch on further. Also, Tara's an ex/not-quite Friekorps. She was a merc, who found her calling elsewhere. Maybe she was in the Friekorps or started training with them and dropped out, or maybe she just worked with them. It's not quite clear, and just what feels like a throwaway thought in her flavor text. However, I felt like running with the two ideas.

This is a just slightly modified history (or future), where somewhere along the lines, Hannah's Void studies had her drop out of the Friekorps, maybe since she knew Tara from boot camp and she teamed back up, or maybe just the draw of Tara as a concentration of the Void.

From a model perspective, I wanted to do something with the giant Death Marshal, and Hannah's model didn't felt right despite rules collections, since I didn't get the "giant armor suit" vibe from Tara's Weird West feel (though I guess there's a fair amount of western steampunk... w/e, too late now).

From there, the flail seemed necessary as her main weapon, and my bits/the pose made that one the most organic. I was originally going to replace the coffin with a similarly chained book, but what ultimately settled it was, while I was proxying her, I found I often duplicated the DM Pine Box spell (a few more tactic notes in the post) and none of the other spells would have required a physical element, so she kept the box. Maybe she learned how to utilize one from watching Tara's dead friends, or maybe it's just a stylish book bag.

I've got the LE Hannah (who's eventually getting painted to match my FK) in case someone complains, but so far I've gotten pretty generous responses to the weird conversion.

Tmod, it's how much she's kneeling (similar to how curled up Ototo is)- if you "unfolded" her, she'd be at least head & shoulders taller than Tara, and the giant coffin kind of excused the width... Look at the different size of their respective heads and calves, and you'll start to get how different-sized they are: Tara's not pin-headed, and I shaved Hannah's head down a lot to give her a lot less masculine of a profile. Also, thanks, re: conversions!

• Like 1

Those are both some great conversions! I don't know if I'd necessarily agree on the color schemes personally as brown seems a bit "bland," but since neither of them are actually Death Marshalls, the brown's well-highlighted and you have the basing a different color - it works just fine!

I really really like the color you went with for the wood on the casket - you have a breakdown on a recipe you used? Coming from a sci-fi painting background (mostly), I'm trying to bulk up my go-to list of color recipes for things and one area I'm really lacking in is "wooden items." I did a light brown for the flooring on my Dreamer crew, but I really like that greenish wood you have there!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, didn't see this-

Those are both some great conversions! I don't know if I'd necessarily agree on the color schemes personally as brown seems a bit "bland," but since neither of them are actually Death Marshalls, the brown's well-highlighted and you have the basing a different color - it works just fine!

I really really like the color you went with for the wood on the casket - you have a breakdown on a recipe you used? Coming from a sci-fi painting background (mostly), I'm trying to bulk up my go-to list of color recipes for things and one area I'm really lacking in is "wooden items." I did a light brown for the flooring on my Dreamer crew, but I really like that greenish wood you have there!

Thanks! Yeah, I feel like sticking within a very limited palate on Tara/my outcasts in general has been a fun experiment. I'm getting some more death marshals, not sure if they'll get a bit more variation.

On the wood, that's around a 50/50 mix of bone and middle/dark grey washed over white as the base coat, blending up to bone and down to black with just a little cool brown in it- I think the cool brown being offset by the warm bone is probably what's looking like green, though it could be the black had some green in it.

• Like 1

Very cool use for the old Gun Vik. How did you make her spectacles look so much like the ones that Hannah has?
Her clothes, hair, bag and dress look really stylish.

I'd like to steal your idea. :D
I'd probably do something her different with her hands.
I could turn my metal gun Vik into a Trapper since I was going to turn one of my Latigo Pistoleros into a librarian.
Just to find a suitable rifle...

• Like 1

Thanks!

On the Librarian's glasses, I just wadded up a teeny amount of greenstuff that was mixed with more yellow to get it softer/tackier so it wouldn't peel off when I tried to sculpt it into place, then IIRC just made pellet shapes and kinda' pulled from the middle out to get it in place. And yeah, I was quite happy with how stylin' she looks.

Yeah, I think she could make a pretty cool trapper standing at-ease.

Also, I'm very happy with the NB, except I recently remembered he was ht 3, but he's already 4" tall and almost 3" wide... guess it beats his knuckles getting scuffed.

• Like 1

The Tara crew will never be done!

I'm actually planning on Leveticus's, Jack's, and maybe the Viks' crews all being in the same sensibility...

However, I've been working on a board that's getting towards presentable, and as soon as that's to a ready place, I'm planning on getting at least a few shots of my western crews on it. May actually start doing battle reports on that- while I'm fine playing games on a hodgepodge of scenery etc., if it's anything presented, well, I'd like to make it presentable...

Short version, yep, I'll be taking group shots but things aren't quite ready.

• Like 1

Lovely - The Librarian looks very Tzeentch without the rainbow palette, if that comparison is allowed around here.

I would be interested in how you did the bases. I guess the little bushes are lichen? How did you do the rest, if you don't mind sharing?

• Like 1

Thanks, and yeah, I could easily see her with a Tzeentch force (either repainted or an unconventional one).

On the bases, sure, the dry feel is just carved insulation foam covered in irregular/varied grit sand. You're right on the lichen, and the other plants are tufts of stuff from some miniatures/basing company, though you could probably get a similar effect for a lot cheaper with a well-built wad of cheap brush bristles.

• Like 1

Very good paint job. I particularly like the leather and metal parts on his chest armor. - I will save that picture as a reference to look at when having to paint either of them :D

I see how this is an interesting mini to paint, though I'm not yet sold on the "brain symbiont"-protrusion on the back of his head.. :huh:

• Like 1

hm, I'll try to explain: 

Take the picture where he's looking to the right (the rightmost shot), if you'd continue the curve of his forehead towards the back of his head and also look at his jawline, you could basically draw a human-like skull into this head, right? The back of his head could then be stuck onto that (The curves on the top of his head indicate two overlapping spheres. That part looks a little attached and makes me think some alien parasite invaded his skull...

See the pic on what I mean: picture

Green: skull, red: overlapping/symbiont part.

(Used your pic without asking, I delete it of course if this is an issue for you)

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for the pic! (And absolutely no worries on posting that- thanks for checking, though.)

Yeah, it is a bit anatomically problematic assuming an analog to humans. It's hard to show since it's concave, but there's a dip between the two rows of horns on his head, where I think they were going for a something like a triceratops (or whatever it was proven they were immature versions of) bone "frill" with enough muscle mass behind it to support that, but it did come out a little lumpy/looking like a second cranium form.

Oh my, that looks fantastic! I especially love the work on the leather in the front - great variation and a very leathery texture. The skin tones are also great.

I think my only criticism is the eyes, though it might the pic since in the left-most pic the eye looks great but in others it's a bit too close to the skin and not popping enough.

But yeah, a great paintjob for sure and one of your best, I think.

• Like 1

Sorry guys, took a while to get back to this-- thannks for the comments, of course.

Math, You're right on how the eye looks in those pics certainly- I'll try to take another photo, but was having trouble simply because it was in so much shadow due to being extremely recessed with that big brow. It's a fairly brown gold with a white highlight, but with all the darkness, it was getting towards the skin color, like you said.

My thought was I didn't want to add another type of color (not completely opposed to it, just wasn't feeling it), which left:

-purple (which probably would have looked like an eye socket)

-pale whatever (even more like skin)

-warm brown (what I tried)

-red (didn't think about it long, might have worked, but could have also looked demonic or albino)

-blue (IDK, never really crossed my mind. Maybe I hadn't decided that the metal would be blue by then?)

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...