SC's new Malifaux painting thread (post-switch to white)

SpiralngCadavr

I like your Rocket Girl, but I liked your blog post about her inspiration and not appealing to the lowest common denominator even better. Please don't be offended, it really does make me happy to see that there still are people in the world who feel this way!

• Like 1

RagingRodian, hehe, no worries ;). Thanks for actually taking the time to read my blog- probably spent as much time writing the post as I did painting her. And yeah, I'm sure it's just 'cause I'm getting older, but I feel like I'm watching the decay of communication and our societal attention span at the hands of technological convenience...

Wings, thanks- Mali minis really just encourage me to do atmospheric effects like no other line: I think it shows in my work.

I like the fact that you've left plenty of white on the inside where the temperature's the highest. You've managed to keep the highlights smooth enough there so that the flames don't stand in contrast. I'm only not sure about the OSL on her hair, somehow it doesn't look natural to me. Other than that it's an excellent paintjob and now I feel like buying the model just to paint it :)

Thanks, yeah, I feel like I'll need to eventually spend a bit of time redoing her, since I feel like the flames are better than she is. Probably didn't help that it was like 2 AM when I was getting around to her hair...

Also, really learned to appreciate the model while painting it, but it was surprisingly difficult to build, given how substantial each of the pieces were (usually it's stuff with lots of fiddly accessories that gives me the worst trouble). Also, be sure to dry fit before cleaning any flash or filling any dents- there are a couple that I'm pretty sure were supposed to be obfuscated connecting points on the model.

Thanks!

ModollerMorgan/Peterdita, thanks for confirming that- wasn't sure if it was coming off as stylized or lame, looks like lame.

Modoller, re: rude, absolutely not! Criticism only helps me improve, the more I get, the better.

Soundwave, aww, shucks!

Peterdita, thanks, yeah, that blue was really tricky. The only tip I can offer is, once you get light enough, start glazing the yellow with blue and/or white while it's nearly dry rather than mixing up: if you don't get it right (which I didn't, several times), it comes out looking greenish instead...

I really like the flames I think the blue does give it a more super natural look, which is kind of the idea with the dragon.

As for Sonnia I do agree she is not as good as the dragon. Still good but knowing what you can normally do with light effects she is not up to standard. However I really have no idea how you going to improve her as she is literally in the middle of flames so her OSL to be realistic needs to be over the top, no?

Thanks, and, Bacms, you hit the nail on the proverbial head-- I love directional OSL, but was completely overwhelmed when it was completely surrounding her. If I had done her before her regular form, I could have conceivably made her palate dark enough that the highlights would have transitioned well, but she already started at a midtone, and the flames completely surround her... part of my logic for the aforementioned stylized highlights on her. Will probably need to pull back to something more subtle rather than just making her yellow in a sea of yellow.

Well, if you have any ideas, I'm all ears. In the mean time, I'll be moving forward and thinking a bit until hopefully inspiration strikes.

Yeah, they're some of the nicest models around- expensive, but that's going to change w/ the plastics. Since there are a bunch of unnecessary extras, I may be using a few as dedicated Malifaux proxies- the Watcher in particular seems like it would have a place in the game: I'm nervous about Ashes and Dust- the previous was pretty disappointing: I have hope, given Wyrd's new plastics, but the Watcher may end up pulling proxy duty if the new one doesn't live up to expectations. Either way, KD has a similar enough feel that I think I'll be using more of the lines a little interchangeably.

Thanks!

For the eyes, I mixed purple and white, thinned it down to a wash, applied it on the eye sockets, then did white with a touch of purple for the eyes. If you're talking about the shading around the brow, I mixed a little purple into my normal mix for shading skin- purple makes it colder and a little unnatural (besides the Neverborn connection), which also darkened the sockets.