Please Discuss Hamelin Errata HERE

Keltheos

Question

• Answers 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Played finally with the new rules against a strong player with a Kirai Crew. Using a fairly standard Crew myself. We are halfway through the game, which is sitting happily on a card table in my living room waiting to be finjshed Tuesday night. So far it is an exciting, tense game.

Hamelin Crew now naturally splits up into two groups: Hamelin, Wretch and Stolen in one group, and Rats, Rat Catcher and Nix in the other. There's some weird aura math here: Nix aura (lose Insignificant in 6") plus Rat Catcher aura (spawn rats in 6") equals Hamelin aura (both).

The Rats don't get as many activations now, and the Rat Catcher seems to do more attacking and acting, rather than just moving around to position and doing Slaughter Rats. Herd Rats is fun, but the Rats are way slower and often need to stick close to Nix if you want them to Interact. The Rat Swarm iss still potent but not overwhelming.

The Stolen and Wretch now have to keep rushing to keep up with Hamelin, or he needs to slow down to keep them close by.

Overall, it feels like Hamelin is still tough, but now he needs to fight to win, rather than just assuming that he can take the match with infinite indestructible rats that can move across the whole board in one activation.

So far, I really love it. My opponent seems challenged but not overwhelmed, and the match feels well-balanced and tense.

More when I finish the match.

Avatar Hamelin gives all rats blight tokens. So writhing mass makes you take a wound, the wound becomes two, and the rat dies instantly as it only has two wounds. You can't get a new rat because its on the rats activation, thus you can not use writhing mass at all with avatar.

Surely, under the old rules what happens was you would just kill the old rat and get a new one, so would get no use out of writhing mass anyway. So all writhing mass did in the old rules was change a rat, now it doesn't do that.

Not a huge change, since part of the problem was constantly killing and replacing rats.

Finished out the game. Hamelin is really fun.

I was too incautious and lost my Rat-Catcher, which made the rats die fairly quickly. I moved Hamelin into the middle of a big batch of enemies, where he managed to draw a lot of attention and kill a lot of spirits. Even though it's now a (1) Action instead of a (0), Fate is Meaningless was still worth it at least once.

I think I expect right now that on Hamelin's turn, he should always be doing two horrible things. That might be killing two enemies, or taking an objective and debuffing someone to worthless, or any of a variety of other possibilities. But I sort of benchmark him right now as causing two big problems each activation.

My opponent was able to kill Hamelin (killing off two The Stolen then swamping Hamelin with Ikiryo, Onryo, and Gaki), but it took a lot of resources and I stopped her from achieving her Strategy in the process. Killing Hamelin felt hard: Every time she thought she was close, he'd do something else to make it harder, and the Stolen are costly to kill, since they cause so many penalties.

Was proud of a Turn Six lunge I did: two groups of Rats lit two Dynamites (one moving up, the other using Writhing Mass to catch up and (1) Interact.) Then Nix zipped 8" toward one of the Rats that had used Writhing Mass, which gave him enough move to reach the enemy's Claim Jump marker.

The end game was basically a tie. (2VP for A Line in the Sand for me, vs. 2VP for Bodyguard for Kirai. Kirai also qualified for her Resurrectionist Scheme, but she didn't announce it and the scheme says it must be announced.)

And I'm so happy with the current rules for Hamelin.

I think I expect right now that on Hamelin's turn, he should always be doing two horrible things. That might be killing two enemies, or taking an objective and debuffing someone to worthless, or any of a variety of other possibilities. But I sort of benchmark him right now as causing two big problems each activation.

I'm surprised you're able to pull off two meaningful things a turn with Hamelin. Between cards and models, he can require a good amount of resources to pull off big things. I find myself usually only able to do 1 a turn, 2 if I'm lucky. I mean, killing two enemies requires either luck (Irresistable Lure), already low Wds (Pipes), or some really good cards (Staff). Unless you're using Bleeding Disease? I like the spell a lot, but usually at 2+ Blight Counters things already aren't doing too well ;)

I'm surprised you're able to pull off two meaningful things a turn with Hamelin. Between cards and models, he can require a good amount of resources to pull off big things. I find myself usually only able to do 1 a turn, 2 if I'm lucky. I mean, killing two enemies requires either luck (Irresistable Lure), already low Wds (Pipes), or some really good cards (Staff). Unless you're using Bleeding Disease? I like the spell a lot, but usually at 2+ Blight Counters things already aren't doing too well ;)

I was fighting mostly Spirits. Once they get a Blight counter, they pretty much die with the next hit. Pipes and then forcing them to Charge another enemy also helped a lot.

I've found a sorrow to be indispensable. Sure Hammy takes a wound when it activates, but the ability to cast one of his spells again, with a SS no less, is fantastic.

Hmmm I hadn't considered that but it does seem interesting, particularly as the Wretch tends to lag behind otherwise.

I played my first ever Hamelin game and it was very fun! We saw how brutal Nix can be in melee when his double buff is on ( (0) aura + trigger); combined with Hamelin going in melee this is deadly! I think this is a good incentive to keeping Hamelin and Nix close together (I particularly liked using Obedience on Nix to make his debuff aura -because of the sacrificed model for Obedience- and charge, then charge with Hamy who benefits from the debuffed target, perfect to go at a master) as opposed to create 2 groups Hamelin / Nix+Rat catcher.

Really enjoyed it, and I think my opponent did too :)

Edited by poulpox