Ride by Mei Feng anyone with experiances?

Odin1981

Question is this has anyone gotten games in yet where you railwalk in, scalding breath a target for easy to wound 1, railwalk out and have another model finish said model (kaeris, rail golem, or something else).

I have only gotten 2 games in with her so far. But I have noticed if my hand hasn't been perfectly sculpted to send her in and keep her there this play has still been pretty good to debuff said model and have something else finish a model off.

Was just curious if anyone else is hip to this idea and noticed good results with it.

the easy to wound from scalding breath is only against the next strike targeting the model, so your are most times better off just doing a tiger claws and hoping for a mask, attacking all you can and than leaping out then leaving something "soft" for another model.

Don't discount scalding breath and a very useful tool. It really was the workhorse bringing down that dead rider for me. Now, is it always the answer, no, but the ability to negate part of that hard to wound, plus ignore all armor, was huge. Scalding breath can be exactly what you need if your wanting the red joker for damage (it's in your hand) or your opponent has lots of armor which is Mei's best way of dealing with such things.

May be so, but it is only for the first attack that targets the affected model, this means that if you miss, you lose the benefit of the easy to wound which kind of kills the whole point of it. I do agree that it's a nice way to go over armour, but it seems more of a fringe use to me. It's what I cast if I'm in melee and can't railwalk or do a Terminus trigger, I have to be alone with an armoured target to consider using scalding breath with my normal actions instead of trying to tiger claw through some enemy models. It is undeniable useful if you need the blasts though.

May be so, but it is only for the first attack that targets the affected model, this means that if you miss, you lose the benefit of the easy to wound which kind of kills the whole point of it. I do agree that it's a nice way to go over armour, but it seems more of a fringe use to me. It's what I cast if I'm in melee and can't railwalk or do a Terminus trigger, I have to be alone with an armoured target to consider using scalding breath with my normal actions instead of trying to tiger claw through some enemy models. It is undeniable useful if you need the blasts though.

Unless your out of soulstones, the only time I see this coming into play is if you are trying to tag a use ss model who outflips you for your total. Also you always have 1 ap to railwalk out with this combo in that you casting expert railwalk in, scalding breath target, then railwalk out. Generally speaking the railwalk (the second or third point) in will more than likely already be engaged with said model so will have if unactivated yet all ap available on said model. In that case you can terminus trigger in kick dude cast iron skin on frontline railwalk model, scalding breath, then railwalk out. Said model you iron skin will generally be at least armor 3-4 then have a ap that has a in built + damage flip. This order of play unlike the stick mei in to combo out only requires a high card for scalding breath plus one mid size tome 7+ for terminus or 3rd point trigger so it is much less card intensive compared to the # of cards needed to combo out.

If you are aware of the strike needing to hit you save a high card for ensuring on activation said model can hit the target you out easy to wound on. Or in the rail golem's case you discard a token for a 5++ attack flip. Kaeris can use ss's so will always be able to hit sans black joker being flipped (immolates with a inbuilt + damage me likes). Hell in theory you could use a gunsmith with potential 2/4/6 damage (key note on 6) or a lsa with a saved high tome for a brutal trigger severe (also 6 damage). So you have a number of models could even use mechanical rider as well as well as any of the above mentioned models to have the damage spread of atleast top end severe damage potentially more if red is in your hand.

I don't see what's so hard about jumping in, tiger clawing all you can and then jumping out, seems like it will give you a lot more gain than giving easy to wound for a single strike that may or may not hit. It can have it's uses, but it's so obvious to me that you get a lot more from railwak in, punching everything that your hand or paired lets you and using casting expert to leap out than to just blow Mei's whole activation on a scalding breath. Still seems fringe use to me unless you really need the blast or to ignore armor.

Unless your out of soulstones, the only time I see this coming into play is if you are trying to tag a use ss model who outflips you for your total. Also you always have 1 ap to railwalk out with this combo in that you casting expert railwalk in, scalding breath target, then railwalk out. Generally speaking the railwalk (the second or third point) in will more than likely already be engaged with said model so will have if unactivated yet all ap available on said model. In that case you can terminus trigger in kick dude cast iron skin on frontline railwalk model, scalding breath, then railwalk out. Said model you iron skin will generally be at least armor 3-4 then have a ap that has a in built + damage flip. This order of play unlike the stick mei in to combo out only requires a high card for scalding breath plus one mid size tome 7+ for terminus or 3rd point trigger so it is much less card intensive compared to the # of cards needed to combo out.

If you are aware of the strike needing to hit you save a high card for ensuring on activation said model can hit the target you out easy to wound on. Or in the rail golem's case you discard a token for a 5++ attack flip. Kaeris can use ss's so will always be able to hit sans black joker being flipped (immolates with a inbuilt + damage me likes). Hell in theory you could use a gunsmith with potential 2/4/6 damage (key note on 6) or a lsa with a saved high tome for a brutal trigger severe (also 6 damage). So you have a number of models could even use mechanical rider as well as well as any of the above mentioned models to have the damage spread of atleast top end severe damage potentially more if red is in your hand.

I thought Iron skin was only able to be used on the caster?

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

I thought Iron skin was only able to be used on the caster?

Why it has a 6" range and has no resist. Or has it been ruled on elsewhere that it is only on mei? I would think that if a friendly target was in range of the spell it could be cast on them. But I'm no rules marshal so this is actually interesting.

In theory however to (0) iron skin the front rail line model you would just have to use your zero action on it then. It doesn't make that much of a differance but it would be good to find out don't want to cheat anyone in games then.

Why it has a 6" range and has no resist. Or has it been ruled on elsewhere that it is only on mei? I would think that if a friendly target was in range of the spell it could be cast on them. But I'm no rules marshal so this is actually interesting.

In theory however to (0) iron skin the front rail line model you would just have to use your zero action on it then. It doesn't make that much of a differance but it would be good to find out don't want to cheat anyone in games then.

No, I I was wrong it can be used on anyone.

Not quite on topic, but very related: How many rail walker targets are people finding necessary?

Basically at 35SS, it'd be nice to have Kang, Willie, and Kaeris, for super killyness, but then you only really have space left for 2 or 3 rail walker targets. Alternatively you could take out either kang or kaeris... but which one!?

(note: this is from the point of view of someone who hasn't used Mei yet, but will be running her for a game of shared slaughter tomorrow...hopefully)

Not quite on topic, but very related: How many rail walker targets are people finding necessary?

Basically at 35SS, it'd be nice to have Kang, Willie, and Kaeris, for super killyness, but then you only really have space left for 2 or 3 rail walker targets. Alternatively you could take out either kang or kaeris... but which one!?

(note: this is from the point of view of someone who hasn't used Mei yet, but will be running her for a game of shared slaughter tomorrow...hopefully)

Depends on strategy.

But usually Kaeris. I just don't see the appeal.

sssk: I think Kang is sub-optimal with Mei Feng, given all the options you have. I'd keep Willie and/or Kaeris because they get their job done without relying on the rest of the crew, which gives you more options for model selection.

As for the number of Rail Walker targets, I think it's more about reliability than numbers. A Rail Worker and a Fire Gamin provide more vectors than the Rail Golem, but the Golem will likely stay with you until late. In my book the RW spell needs a good solid target or two, enabling safe advance, surprising angles and spectacular retreats. I find it rather restricting to push the combo-jump goodness, considering both model selection and in-game model placement. (Same as with Kang.)

When I first read this tactic my view was you were wasting Mei's activation. After all this would only result in moving 13" making a melee strike, casting an armour buff on her, doing a blast based damaging spell, bringing up a cloud that other models can't see through, putting burning counters on all enemies in the cloud and then getting Mei out again. Probably after she armours up the construct she rail walked to.

That that all seems not much for a Mei activation says a lot about what she is actually capable of. I'm still not sure if its the best use of her activation, as I'm getting to love the Tigers claw whirlwinding about, but its still pretty good.

In response to the how many rail walkers.

I'm not sold 100% on the spell. Its a nice option, but I don't think its essential. Mei would work pretty well in a list that contained no constructs. The bonus movement from her casting expert is nice, but I'm not a fan of formign a line of constructs asI find they get swarmed if left peacemeal.

Saying all that, the rail golem is great, and adding that to your list should work. But I've not had much sucess yet with Kang.

Not to hijack or anything, but has anyone tested gunsmiths?

Gunsmiths are one of the best and most versatile models Arcanists have access to. The problem is usually your opponent knows it too, and thus they get a big target. I would think pairing the smiths with a metal gamin would help increase their survivability all while offering a jump point for Mei.

Side question: does Kangs boost ability bump Gunsmiths? They are assests not members so I'm thinking no.

Assets and members are different things (union miners are both for example). So no discount for Johan unless there's an actual M&SU member, no Kang boost unless there's an actual M&SU member, etc..

But gunsmiths are always a good thing to consider adding - if you have 6SS to spare, some nice shooting is always handy.