I need a handicap.

Jonas Albrecht

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really speak for the others in our group but to be completely honest anything less than your best isn't really worth my time to field my minis. I don't want you to "handicap" yourself because then it's not me winning of my own merit but because you took "pity" on me.

Oh, I'm still going to whoop your, amor, Cody, and Tuesday's ass up and down the battlefield. That's not in question.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Agree with Envy.

If you showed up to a game with me and said "you are really bad at this game in comparison to me, I'm going to handicap myself so you have a chance".

I would pack up and leave. Or play someone else.

How about you teach your opponents. How about after a game where you destroy them you tell them what you did and why, and how they can counter it.

Handicapping yourself is like giving out 'nice try' stickers to your opponents. I'm better than you and the only way you will ever have a chance will be if I make it increasingly easier for you to win....

Good thing I'm not showing up and telling people they're really bad at the game. Trying to frame the conversation that way would be like me stating that I'm tired of all the whining or accusations of playing OP masters. There's not that kind of animosity.

I don't believe handicapping myself is a slight against my opponents, anymore than I believe that ridiculous notion that showing up with an unpainted army is.

Personally, I don't take it as a slight, but I can see how others might. On a certain level, saying you're handicapping yourself can be interpreted as saying you're letting the other person win. It might be just the word, I don't know-- It feels a bit patronizing, even though I know you would never mean it that way.

The experience levels in our group are wildly disparate, I know. Even though I started at the same time as you, Jonas, I can't match how well you know the game. I can see how it might be a good idea to get a few games in against a weak crew, just so we aren't worrying about being stomped and can just test ideas and new things to do with our crews. But the idea that the other person is playing a 'bad' crew essentially to give you a chance against them is never a welcome one. No one likes thinking that they won only because their opponent allowed it to happen-- even if that wasn't the intention.

I don't want the group to get conflicted or competitive, or less fun. I'm not really sure what the solution is, but one thing I think is we should just play more, and against different people/crews (not just bad ones). Even though there are just five of us, maybe we could switch it up a bit the next few weeks. I don't think I've ever faced amor, Envy, or Cody outside of a group game, come to think of it.

The more crews we play against, the more ways we learn to play our own crew, the more confident we get and the more fun we have. Playing against 'practice' crews could be a good idea, but calling it a handicap could be putting some kind of emotional/semantic (or something) tint on things.

A. I have played your c. hoff. He has crazy "you cant hit me routine" . McAsshole on a horse can just bite me. B. Give us time. We will eat your masters alive... or dead in envy's case. Thursday the dreamer will wake.

Ahem, Tuesday the dre--

Oh. OHHHH.

I'm going to just go Malifaux-wiki him now. (Which I also think is a good idea for us all. Tips aplenty there.)

I agree with what Tuesday said..... all of it. Come to think of it you haven't faced me in a 1 on 1 match Tuesday we must change this!! I have been reading the stat cards for the Dreamer and theoretically..... he.... he is not a nice fellow.

Plus Jonas would you really have fun if you handicapped yourself? Me personally I'm to competitive to do that and still have fun. All we want is to have fun and for everyone in our group to have fun.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

The errata is on the main malifaux site correct Jonas?

Taking one of the "weaker" masters is not necessarily a handicap. It's a "I know the game well enough now that I want to take a tough master and see if I can still win with it" kind of thing.

There are plenty of people that play what is considered a weak master just for the challenge of it.

If we are there long enough im sure you will be able to play as well. I don't think anyone wishes for you to site on the side lines.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

P.S. I should have Rasputina done tonight so I will be playing her box set on thursday.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Also Jonas don't you have a Nico crew? Why not play using him if you are looking for a chanllenge, wouldn't he be on since you haven't played him at least since we started playing.

I'll try not to plunge too deep into the can of worms that is handicapping, but personally I can say that if I consistently win most or all of my games with a certain master, it makes for more fun for both me and my opponent if we spice it up a bit with a new master or whatnot.

For your specific question though, running an avatar/dead rider/Von schill-less Seamus crew is both fun and challenging. And it's not "gimping" you to the point of unplayability, noone should feel that you're throwing the game.