80ss game

loudo

Im doing some demos at PAW in plymouth, England. Im planning on having a single 2x2 board for a participation demo game but since we have all weekend i also wanted to have an ongoing 80ss game for me and the rest of the guys running the table to play on. im thinking 4x4 board. Hopefully it will show of the two extremes of malifaux. Has anyone here had any exp of 80ss games?

I've played one 80 ss Brawl, and it was good fun. We managed it in under 3 hours as whilst you have increased the number of models, you don't have that much larger a control hand, so much less cheating, and so much more early death. But we were only playing 1 a side which will always be faster.

We stuck with the 3 foot square board and didn't have a problem with this. Going to a larger board will mean the earlier turns have less happen and some missions become much harder for some masters.

Jady Justice and Perdita trued to put an end to the neverborn of Lileth, but a large contingent of Friekorps turned against the guild leading to an 8-8 draw despite only 3 guild models dieing, and all my side wiped out. I still feel I should have won, but I just couldn't reclaim the last corner for Malifaux

I've played one 80SS game, and we took about four hours to slog through it (we were both fairly new players playing unfamiliar crews at the time - Lady Justice and Perdita versus Seamus and Kirai). It was quite crowded on a 3x3 board but not unreasonably so - I wouldn't recommend going up to 4x4.

I don't think huge games are really Malifaux's strength, to be honest (hence why I've only played one such game) but it was certainly interesting to see how the game works with tonnes of models on the board.

I thought I'd try to see if I can make a gremlin only crew at 80SS, and I just realized I had to leave out some.

Outcasts Crew - 80 - Brawl

Som'er Teeth Jones
--
7 Pool

+ Som’er and Peaches, Avatars of Indulgence
[2ss]

4 Giant Mosquitos [8ss]

Ophelia Lacroix
[8ss]

• Bayou Gremlin
    [2ss]

• Francois Lacroix
    [5ss]

• Gremlin Taxidermist
    [6ss]

• Gremlin Taxidermist
    [6ss]

• Hog Whisperer
    [5ss]

• Pigapult
    [4ss]

• Rami Lacroix
    [6ss]

• Raphael Lacroix
    [6ss]

• Slop Hauler
    [4ss]

• Slop Hauler
    [4ss]

• Stuffed Piglet
    [3ss]

• Stuffed Piglet
    [3ss]

• Stuffed Piglet
    [3ss]

• Warpig
    [8ss]

:)

Ressurectionists Crew - 80 - Brawl

Nicodem, The Undertaker
--
10 Pool

+ Nicodem, Avatar of Decay
[2ss]

Molly Squidpiddge
[9ss]

Grave Spirit [1ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

Surely you'd have to leave out 3 punks to include bête noir?

Fine... if you gonna be all smart and stuff... It DOES make scary sense for the opponent to worry about which Necropunk they kill might have a "magical surprise" inside. :)

Lol... that gives me another sad idea...

Ressurectionists Crew - 80 - Brawl

Nicodem, The Undertaker
--
10 Pool

+ Nicodem, Avatar of Decay
[2ss]

• Bête Noire
    [9ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Mortimer, The Gravedigger
    [7ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• The Drowned
    [4ss]

• The Drowned
    [4ss]

• The Drowned
    [4ss]

• The Drowned
    [4ss]

• The Drowned
    [4ss]

• The Drowned
    [4ss]

• Toshiro, the Damiyo
    [8ss]

Imagine Mortimer getting off the mother of all "Fresh Meat" spells. :)

And Toshiro speeding them up too and giving plus flips to as many models as fit in his radius...

And thats 12 wounds of Drowned waiting to wipe out whatever they get near when they die.

It sort of feels like zerglings and banelings... The enemy will be looking to take out the banelings before they get close, but the zerglings also have to be dealt with.

Edited by Gruesome

I don't think huge games are really Malifaux's strength, to be honest (hence why I've only played one such game) but it was certainly interesting to see how the game works with tonnes of models on the board.

It definately wasn't balanced for this size game (the combinations of absolutely sick abilities is dizzying).

It definately wasn't balanced for this size game (the combinations of absolutely sick abilities is dizzying).

On this we agree. :)

I threw a couple lists out there as jokes...

And then thought about it a bit more and realized that the second list in particular might be really really hard to deal with.

I can't imagine what good players might come up with.

Absolutely. Brawls of any size are full of ridiculous and devastating combos. :P

Even without that aspect, though, our 80SS game felt like there were just too many rules to keep in mind. With that much stuff on the board, it was genuinely tough to remember how your own models were supposed to interact with each other, let alone the enemy. We constantly forgot vitally important rules just because there was so much to think about, and not enough time to check every card for relevant abilities every time something happened. Playing with a small, focused crew is definitely much easier on the brain.

Well CannonFodder has listed probably 2 of the worst combinations to face, though I think Nicodem and Leveticus could also be fairly nasty (Ashes and Dust under the effects of Bolster Undead?).

Not going far enough... A reactivated fast bolstered Ashes and Dust with Bette and/or Killjoy waiting to pop out. I think Nico could hire the Student, Rusty for the reactivate, Nico for the bolster, Bette and Killjoy for Lulz.

• 1 month later...