BillyGoat's Hobby

BillyGoat

So I figured I'd start a thread to share any hobby and painting I do. I'll start off by posting the modular board I just finished. This thread was my biggest inspiration for the project. Thanks a lot Demonn! Here's a few shots of the finished project and some possible layouts:

IMG_5883-Version2.jpg

IMG_5898-Version2.jpg

IMG_5902-Version2.jpg

IMG_5911-Version2.jpg

It still needs more terrain to fill the empty space, but overall I'm really happy with how it turned out. The mine and large mountain piece with the hole on top are glued down to those board sections but the other three are free to move around however. I also have another mountain piece that is getting some water treatment. Woodland Scenics water is nice but it got expensive quick.

I've got some progress pictures so if you want to know how I did something just ask! Enjoy

Thanks! for the mine and lake I made it so they could either be put together or on the edges of the board. If I didn't they would have to be much smaller to fit on one piece. I also have a poor zombie that stumbled off the edge of the dock and forgot he couldn't swim:

2012-09-23222132_zps92d6ad19.jpg

I'm still developing my skills as a painter but here's a few of my latest paint jobs:

2012-08-08134501.jpg

IMG_5872-Version200-29-37.jpg

I've started on Nino a while ago but haven't done much painting recently. He'll be the next one done.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Demonn, and thanks again for the inspiration! Here's some pics of the first game on it.

Board set-up

012.jpeg

Resser Deployment:

013.jpeg

Guild Deployment (me):

014.jpeg

Objective at the end of the dock:

018.jpeg

Convict waiting to make his move:

015.jpeg

Executioner about to go swimming:

016.jpeg

Freshly summoned flesh construct:

023.jpeg

And lastly I just finished the final mountain piece. Decided to use the left over water effects to make a pond in it too:

upload.jpeg

You should definitely make one of these! It takes some time but you can make it as simple or complicated as you want. I used blue insulation styrofoam from Lowe's. Just cut them on a table saw to 1' squares. I also glued 1' square hardboard to the bottom. This is party because I tend to over build things, but I was thinking it'll help protect against wear and such.

2012-09-03155100.jpg

After that it was just backyard sand and more layers of the foam for the hills. For the hills I basically followed this idea:

• 1 month later...

It's been a while! Unfortunately I have hardly done any painting or hobby in the past few months. I did paint up Mr. Graves for a friend though. Every year our gaming group does a miniature painting exchange for Christmas. Anyone that wants to participate brings three roughly man-sized models and then we are randomly assigned somebody to paint for. The painter then decides on one model of the three to paint up for Christmas. I forgot to snap a photo before I gave it to him under proper lighting but here's how he came out:

IMG_0219_zps71c8adfa.jpg

Im really happy with how the white came out. I wish the black was a bit better but it'll do. Criticism welcome!

I've had Nino sitting half finished since October so he's the next one up.

Yes I agree, very nice! For the black I'm not sure whether the highlights are handmade or just reflection of the ambient light; if handmade they're great! If not handmade it could be worth to add a few strikes of greys to mimic the effect seen on the pic.

Lovely stuff, and your board is awesome!

;)