Kickstarter: Bombshell Babes

I want to be interested, but don't think I am. the conmcept art just doesn't quite grab me, and I don't see any painted models. Also, the pledge levels seem a bit off to me. not sure how, and I think if I had a better idea of how many minis the KS will have, what sixe/complexity, etc. I might not mind it, but currently, there just isn't enough for me to do more than vaguely wish well to him.

In short, I think the biggest problem is lack of information delivered simply.

The Druid Gone Wilder was my favorite score at GenCon. I'm not too keen on buying into a titty model Kickstarter, but some of that concept art is amazing.

I think it is named a bit unfortunately, but the concepts themselves seem to be less about titillation and more about fun. I mean, the nearly-naked barbarian is brandishing a severed head, which is pretty badass, I think.

I guess I'm trying to say that the minis look more like they're aiming for being something that women would like to play (with) than just what men would like to see.

I also feel that I'm articulating myself extremely poorly here :(

Hi all! I'm happy to see you guys chattering about Bombshell Miniatures over here. :)

For those that have voiced concerns over the lack of of painted minis...it's kinda the point of kickstarting this line. Without backing, there won't be any models produced, hence there isn't anything to paint yet. I am one of the painters working with Patrick Keith on this project, and I'm super excited as I've had the pleasure of painting many of his sculpts for Dark Sword Miniatures. I'm also a former studio artist for Wyrd, and have worked with a myriad of other companies. Meg Maples is also painting for Bombshell - if you're not familiar with the name, you'd know her painting skills from Privateer Press, including the Druid Gone Wilder model.

These figures aren't really about "T&A" in the classic sense. They're women that are gorgeous, maybe a bit sensual, and having fun in their Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Western archetypes.

Hope that info helps clear stuff up a bit! :)

I'm really not understanding the complaints regarding price points. $10-$15 a mini for a boutique miniature company is not unusual at all. Dark Sword and Freebooter Miniatures have been doing it for a decade. Remember that Bombshell isn't about cranking out gaming quality minis by the thousands. Besides, Wyrd charges $16 for 2 plastic minis, so I don't see what the big deal is.

If I'm not mistaken, the 'first run' (incurring the costs of producing the sculpt itself, the moulds, QA, etc) is where a large portion of the costs are found for such things. I believe someone said that under some conditions a figure might even represent a loss per unit until a certain number are moved, so if that's not too far off the mark, what we'd be seeing there is the front loaded costs of only making hundreds or perhaps a few thousand of a given figure, compared to larger companies who might have a first order in the thousands and possibly produce tens or hundreds of thousands over the years when all is said and done.

Sure, in numbers that large you incur other costs for maintenance and can have larger scale batch issues that are also time consuming and costly to work around.

Just a little Devil's Advocacy though. The artwork is nice but I've got dozens of figures across half a dozen crews left to paint, so I think I'll pass on these ones.

What scale are they? I couldn't see one on the site, but they look 28mm - is that correct?

EDIT: Sorry, I see it now;

'Care will also be taken to size the figures so they will be compatible with other models from the most popular manufacturers within the 30mm range.'

Edited by Kaled

The issue I have with the cost is that the whole point of the kickstarter sites (in my opinion) is to raise funds to start/expand a business. If this is the case then charging the retail price of equivalent models (or slightly more...) seems counterproductive.

I guess you could argue that getting a tshirt/print or whatever is the incentive but I can't see it myself.

I love the concept of kickstarter (I've backed 5 of the wallet sapping things already...) but I like to think that I'm getting a good deal as well as helping the poster.

Having said all that I'll certainly buy a couple of his models when they become commercially available (now that it's fully backed).