Arcane reservoir

biffa

The other abilities of the librarian are good, but it's arcane reservoir is a liability overall.

I'm not sure how arcane resevoir can be a liability? If anything is a liability it's that she has to discard a card when activating. But then she's a great model so that makes up for it imo.

Edited by CunningStunt

I don't get how its the "worst of both worlds" either. I look at it like....the Librarian has this positive/negative ability that I can either discard any card I want to use the suit for casting or she can be paralyzed. That ability would be much more negative if she didn't have Arcane Reservoir. The Reservoir gives you an extra card to use for her.

Like Ratty said, it ends up working more like Rush of Magic, you get to draw an extra card but if you want to use her you discard one.

somehow paying 7 soulstones (or more if bought as a merc) just for the ability to get an extra card (which is all you get if you don't sacrifice a card) is one hell of a steep cost.

Compare to the Arcane Effigy which gives you the extra card and is still able to act costs 3 or fewer soulstones.

But having the librarian means both you don't get the extra card (or you wasted 7ss) and you still can't get the extra card from taking an Effigy, which is why I said the worst of both worlds, not only not having the benefit but forgoing any chance to get the benefit.

Again that's not to say the other things the librarian brings to the table aren't worthwhile, it's just pointing out that it's arcane reservoir/receptacle combo is a liability and a bigger one than it first appears.

I think your use of the word liability is somewhat skewed from what the other posters believe it means, but I understand what you're trying to say:

The Librarian has a nice ability (Arcane Reservoir), but it comes with a downside (need to discard a card to activate the Librarian), and because of the name of the ability it stops you from benefiting from the Arcane Reservoir carried by other models.

Ultimately Arcane Reservoir is a good thing for the Librarian to have. It's the discard a card rule that it the downside of taking her, and Arcane Reservoir helps to partially mitigate that rule. Trust me, you'd be kind of annoyed of the Librarian lost Arcane Reservoir and essentially dropped your hand to 5 cards or forced you to take a model with Arcane Reservoir just to have 6.

However, it's not truly a liability (ie: something that is just a downward balancing item). The fact that she needs to dump a card is a balancing factor against her other abilities. That she has Arcane Reservoir allows you to still have a 6 card hard (rather than a 5 card hand). That Arcane Reservoir doesn't stack is just another balancing factor when she combines with specific other models. Whether all these factors lead to a truly balanced model is something I won't bother trying to figure out.