Seamus VS. Dreamer need help

cheshirecat

A friend and I just started to play Malifaux recently, hepicked the dreamer as his first crew and I picked Seamus as mine. The other daywe had are first game and by the end he still had most of his crew and all I hadleft was avatar Seamus who was sitting on top of my claim jump and Madame Sybelle who was running er.., Shambling off into the far end of hisdeployment zone. Lucky for me he focused on killing all my crew and forgot hismain Objective he ended the game with 1 VP to my 3 VP. But I’m worried thedreamers crew slapped the crap out of me and I’m looking for some advice on howto play Seamus and his crew against the dreamer. Any help will be appreciated.

RessurectionistsCrew - 25 – Scrap (claim jump) body guard (Seamus not announced), break though

Seamus, the Mad-Hatter -- 5 Pool

+ Seamus, Avatar of Dread [2ss]

Copycat Killer [2ss]

Rotten Belles [4ss]

Rotten Belles [4ss]

Rotten Belles [4ss]

Madame Sybelle [6ss]

Neverborn Crew -25 – Scrap (reconnoiter), body guard (dreamer not announced) and exterminate undead

The Dreamer -- 4 Pool

1 Daydream [2ss]

Lilitu [7ss]

Lelu [7ss]

Coppelius [9ss]

Daydreams are the utility pieces in his crew so if you take them out early he has a harder time of it. With Sybelle and all those bells you have a pretty huge companion chain to lure something straight to you. So just take out the daydream first and another other he summons.

Then try and kill one of the twins lelu is generally the easier of the 2 to kill plus the most brutal.

Hold off on going avatar until you have either killed coppellius or that he wont be a problem with his auto paralyze (0). Be aware that the dreamer also has the same (0) unhinge ability.

Not sure about he copycat killer when you have the avatar attached already and you dont have a full pool of stones. I'd drop him in favour of 7 stones.

I generally like to have a 2nd hitter with seamus, sybelle is pretty middle of the road for damage, the best thing about her is the companion chain with belles and her durability.

Maybe think about a bette or similiar hitter to go with him.

That is a crew of heavy hitters. Lilitu is far better at luring than belles can ever dream to be and anything that gets lured is in the range of the twins is a goner. Best to take out the daydream fast as possible. Try and catch Dreamer on his own and have Seamus blast him, of coarse that leaves you with Chompy. Going to need to get some other hitters (as close to heavy as the Resurrectionist have) to help out. Keep at it and have fun, that is most I can offer.

I have played against Dreamer a fair bit with Seamus and had some good success. As already mentioned keep focussed on your strategies and schemes. Rotten Belles are really handy against the Dreamer just watch out for Coppellius with his paralyze on a hit. I would almost look at swapping out Sybelle and the Copycat for a Hanged as they can Whhispers from beyond into one of the twins (generally Lelu) and stop him from healing all game and makes things more manageable.

all right im thinking of using this list in my next game

hopfully i can lure the nightmares into shafts stoping them for the killing blows with seamus and the hanged.

Ressurectionists Crew - 25 - Scrap

Seamus, The Mad-Hatter -- 5 Pool

+ Seamus, Avatar of Dread [2ss]

The Hanged [8ss]

Crooked Man [4ss]

Rotten Belles [4ss]

Rotten Belles [4ss]

I always find the Dreamer hard to beat. Even after the errata. I find the lack of corpse tokens to be a significant problem, especially for Seamus.

You need heavy hitters. Bette is good. Hulking out with Seamus might be a problem as using his standard Succumb to Darkness to pump his Terror level will make you suceptible to being paralyzed by the Dreamer as a 0 action.

I might bring the following:

Seamus

Bette Noire

Dead Doxie

Rotten Belle

Madame Sybelle

I tend to throw in a Dead Doxie all the time now, she is a poor man's Jack Daw, but with much more range. Negative flips on WP and Defensive means no cheating, which makes pulling stuff out of formation with the Belle that much easier. Plus, she is a great mechanism for teleporting Madame Sybelle into the thick of things.

Only problem is this list is very light on soul stones...

Ive played the dreamer twice with seamus and have won 1 lost 1, the time i won i had great success with using my belles to pull his crew away from key targets and my models away from is heavy hitters (Chompy,Teddy).

I also fielded Bete Noir who is a great deterant as she is only gonna appear when they kill something of yours which means she can activate straight away in melee then depraved tactics, flurry dead bad guy.... rinse repeat.

Also like everyone else has said taking the dreamer on in a fight is not a great idea, seamus crews have a suprising amount of mobility so use this to concentrate on your objectives.