Can you Obey an Obey?

Setoth

Question

I feel like this is a stupid newb question, but I feel compelled to ask. Hypothetically speaking, could you Obey another Obey command? The wording on the spell says "can only be cast once per activation." Does that mean that written instance of that spell, or the spell Obey and all spells named Obey can only be cast once per activation? I feel like for the sake of fairness it's the second reading but I can't seem to find any indication either way.

Hypothetical Example Situation: I have aZoraida and a Doppleganger. aZoraida has used Obey for her activation. The Doppleganger activates and takes aZoraida's Obey and CA stat. Doppleganger casts Obey on aZoraida, I cheat so the Obey is successfully cast. Could I then force aZoraida to cast Obey, theoretically giving her a second chance to use Obey with access to the Conduit ability of her presumably summoned Voodoo Doll and trigger for Master of Manipulation?

22 answers to this question

Hmmmm, both my book and my card list the text as "target model" immediately takes the action, and can only be cast once per activation. Did it get reprinted and I've been basing it off of an old print? I know I can't Conduit a Master but I didn't know I couldn't cast Obey on them.

Edit:I checked Perdita's entry in the book and it says the same. But when I check aZoraida's it does specifically say non-Master, so I'm thinking I just have old prints of the book and the Zoraida card. Now I'm glad I asked, I never would have thought to look at aZoraida's Obey. Thanks for the info Ratty!

Edited by Setoth

Hmmmm, both my book and my card list the text as "target model" immediately takes the action, and can only be cast once per activation. Did it get reprinted and I've been basing it off of an old print? I know I can't Conduit a Master but I didn't know I couldn't cast Obey on them.

You must have an out of date card. The v2 card for Zoraida has "Target non-Master model" as the first sentence in Obey along with the Twisting Fates aZoraida book entry:

http://www.wyrd-games.net/StatCards/Neverbornv2.pdf

Edited by GrAYFoX
Spelling

Check the v2 cards on the site. I had a similar problem. v1 Zoraida just says "Target model", which is the card I have. v2 says "Non-master".

However, I am also not aware of where it says you cannot copy abilities from avatars. Any link/page on that Ratty? Have I missed something?

it lists it in book 3 on the very first page of general avatar rules. I don't have the page number, but its in the left column, about half way down the page.

it's what stops lazarus being absolutely despicable with aRamos - if he could copy aRamos, he could nab ramos' (1) to gain scrap and churn out the scrap.

I thought you could pay a soulstone to keep a Totem alive when manifesting?

No. Totems are always removed. There is one who may pay to keep some around (Som'er) and Zoraida can summon hers back. You may discard a soulstone for a healing flip during Manifestation.

Thank you Ratty. I missed that.

Interesting. Random, but interesting. Probably could have been made a bit more obvious, really. How many people reference page 42 when playing with avatars rather than the avatar card itself?

Well there are other important things there like, the Avatar counts as the same model as the original Master for Schemes. Avatars count as Masters etc.

That is the page for the General rules for Avatars.