Starting Sonnia! (Don't tell Colette)

Tuesday

I would like a Sonnia crew. Problem is, I don't know what to put on a Sonnia crew, and I have the most basic understanding of how Sonnia works. Other than she's like "FIRE EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME" (or at least her Avatar is).

So help boards, please. Tell me how to Sonnia! I would like to start with basic Sonnia and figure out how she works before moving on to more advanced Sonnia (i.e. Avatars, as in I don't want to start with hers).

Guardian !

You might want to buy a Witchling Handler and some witchlings as well. Guild Hounds can be pretty handy for objective grabbing and companionable initial targets for flameburst ;)

The student of conflict is probably the best totem available for her, the additional flame burst makes sure you get as much as possible out of your forbidden knowledge. Never take fewer then 7ss with you, 8 would be better.

A Pale Rider may help with objectives and single target damage.

I've been pretty successful with the following List:

Guild Crew - 35 - Scrap

Sonnia Criid -- 8 Pool

Student of Conflict [4ss]

Guardian [7ss]

Guild Hound [3ss]

Guild Hound [3ss]

Witchling Handler [7ss]

Witchling Stalker [4ss]

Witchling Stalker [4ss]

Edited by 96p

You will wany witchlings because you can summon them but beyond that anything in the guild works for her very well. I personally like the brutal effigy, nino, and Samael but the witchling handler is very thematic for her. You really can't go wrong with guild minions though.

+1 on the Witchling Handler. She's really effective at getting the most out of your Witchlings. I can agree with buying more Witchling Stalkers, but I'd first get an Austringer. I've only ran with the Guardian twice so far so I don't have a strong opinion of him yet.

Nino and Santiago from Perdita's box are fun to include as well if you need to add some ranged power.

In my experience with Sonnia, she works well without extra protection... So long as you keep some minions close by to help with Melee issues. I also think its very effective to bounce blast markers off of your own people, then Violation of Magic your guys back to life... Assuming the enemy is strong enough to be worth it.

Witchlings are absolutely essential for Sonnia, because you can't summon a model you don't have. Now personally, I like to bring an Austringer (good minions in their own right) and three or four Raptors, because the Raptors are the best targets in the world for getting blasts off Flame Burst, being highly maneuverable and Easy to Wound. They can also be good fodder for Violation of Magic, because the moderate on Flame Burst takes them to one wound. Witchlings themselves are also great fodder for Violation, because the severe on Flame Burst takes them to one wound.

For objective grabbing, I like Watchers. They're cheap, significant, and move seven. I'll keep a couple Watchers in my deployment zone for the first half of the game, using their valuable ability to look at fate cards, and then I'll send them out to do stuff. They can be a little squishy, but at least they're immune to disengaging.

The Brutal Effigy has become an auto-include for me, even though it prevents taking a totem, because healing. (Also, if the plan is to manifest, the totem would go away and the Effigy does not.) Effigy is also good in combat, but mostly I love the healing, because there isn't much of that in the Guild.

The Guardian has been mentioned, and Guardians are good, but Sonnia doesn't really need one. Her sword gives her healing when she hits something (btw, doesn't say it has to be an enemy model) so she's pretty survivable. She can also block scary things a little bit with the Flame Wall, and can be essentially immune to spells since she has counterspell. However, if you want to get Santiago Ortega, it's a good idea to attach a Guardian to him, because he's got a sweet spot of wounds where he's a brutal killing machine. That's a combo for high-stone scraps, though, because they both cost seven.

Always always always make sure Sonnia has a full cache of eight stones, because if you have to Confiscate Lore to make all your casts work (which you will) it takes a stone, and there are games where she will be eating stones like chocolates. I've actually thought about getting some Ronin for her, so she has a way to get more stones if necessary, without having to resort to Drain Souls. (Ronin also ignore armor, so I'd like to take them against Ramos, and they're Hard to Kill, so perfect Violation fodder if that's needed. Man, I really need to get some Ronin.)

Sonnia can hire Fire Gamin, so if they're something you already have as an Arcanist player that's another option to consider. I haven't found them to be super useful yet, but if you can keep them from dying, burning counters can definitely be a deal for avatar Sonnia, once you get to that point.

Sonnia is probably my favorite master, so I think you've made a good choice, here. Good luck!

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I will definitely be looking into a Witchling Handler and Stalkers-- and it is nice to hear that a lot of Guild models will work with her, since I have the opportunity to sneak away some of Jonas's stuff to experiment.

I would throw my 2 cents in I agree first few games 5 or so maybe more if you are a slow learner with new stuff on the 7-8 ss cache. However Once you get what she does down you can get by with going down to 5-6 ss cache range and not suffer bad effects from it.

However against quick crews I would recommend also having a cache of 7. But with her you mainly need ss for a quintessential 1 big turn. And after that turn happens their might not be alt left for her so you can get by with fewer stones once you get a hang of her.

I also like the Austringer with her. When you have enemies that are damaged already the Weak damage of the Austringer can put them into Violation territory....then they can 'Deliver Orders' to Sonnia to let her go right away and get the Violation going.

I agree that taking Desperate Mercs just to Violate them is cheesy, however taking one or two and actually using them before the possible Violation I don't see that way....I think it's a good tactic.

lol I should have seen this thread and read it before using my 1st ever post to ask for starting Sonnia advice. :P

It's good to hear that the brutal effigy I bought today (just because it was the only non-master/henchman, non-avatar Guild model currently in stock at the store, and I liked how it looked), along with my Sonnia starter box, isn't a bust (wasted) model. The guy who demo'd the game to me said he didn't think it was worth it compared to the witchling stalkers I already had, and cautioned that I wouldn't be able to take any totems. Hearing that it is a good model to take because of it's different abilities and similar stats to a witchling reassures me.

Also, it's nice to hear that I don't have to take up to 8 stones in cache once I get to learn her. I was also told that for a 25 points game I should just go with the starter since it leaves enough stones left over to max out her cache. While I did use every stone, I also felt like having only 5 models, even at 25 points, wasn't enough at times (the guy who demo'd pulled out a Som'er Teeth Jones and Ophelia gremlins list, that started out with 7 models and made bomb-pigs out of corpse tokens). Also, another experienced player said that he thought 8 stones was a bit much and short-changed me out of something useful I could have taken.

My entire Guild collection now consists of:

Sonnia (free)

Samael (8 stones)

Witchling stalker (4)

Witchling stalker (4)

Witchling stalker (4)

Brutal effigy (4)

= 24 stones worth of models

5 stones in cache.

I know it's not the best 25 stone list in the world, but at least I can use every model I bought and assembled today, and I guess I should start getting used to having just 5 stones in cache.

My other idea was to go with:

Sonnia (free)

Samael (8 stones)

Witchling stalker (4)

Witchling stalker (4)

Guild hound (3)

Guild hound (3)

Guild hound (3)

= 25 stones of models

5 stones in cache (Sonnia's default of 4 + 1 for every 2 hounds)

The Effigy is good with Sonia as she in my opinion (which is limited with her) does not need her totem to do anything for her, and so the healing from the effigy (with Object 1) is great if you don't have any other special forces in your crew :)