trying to beat Rotten Belles with Vik's

Normski

so after thinking a lot about how to get across the board to kill Rotten Belles ive come up with, after deployment!

have Hammy The Rat Catcher obey Vik Bounty to her walk twice then have Vik Bounty walk once then sisters in spirit Vik sword up to 3 inches fron her then charge Vik Swordy into Rotten Belle's and hopefully get the whirlwind trigger and melee expert off this should see belles gone, and cure the lure problem which is feeding my Outcasts to McMourning on a regular basis!! then hopefully use stones to defend Vik Swordy then on next activation hopefully get both Viks to McMourning and Pow Right in the kisser!! (as long as he isnt pumped full of drugs)

ok guys as this is my first actual thought on this subject! is it possible and is there anything you guys can suggest which could make this better?

Edit: nevermind ive just remembered Obey can only target non-master models!! but please help me figure this out anyway!! cheers!!

Edited by Normski

So, your plan is, instead of making them work to lure you, go through so much trouble to lure yourself in, and hope to kill belles? With hard2wound? Dunno about that...

And then, mcm can slice and dice, and you will hope to prevent/ss...It looks like a decent trade. 1-2 belles for a sword vik

yeah i see the flaw!! i play the same opponant regular and he always gets me with lure so my idea is to kill the belles so i can get to McM! the possible sacrifice of the sword vik can be over come with sacrificing a ronin to get her back!

but I see your point! them pesky belles and McM are my targets then i can deal with the rest afterwards! just need to formulate a workable plan!!

Well you could also take Sue and use his ability that gives +2 Wp, making the Viks Wp8 to lure, that at least makes it more even against the spell. Also remember it is a spell, meaning he has to do his cheating and casting before you resist, meaning he has to set the bar before you even flip a card. So if he flips an 8, he had to debate if it is worth throwing down one of his few high cards to better get it off, or if he should just risk it.

There is also terrain, if he can't see you he can't lure you. And as it is a push up to your Walk, terrain can effect the distance. So getting pushed through a forest or rubble can make the distance you move a lot less.

Another option that I believe you can do is to go into defensive stance first. If I remember right *book not on hand* as Defensive Stance reduces your Wk/Ch by -2/-2, and Lure pushes you your Walk they would push you your reduced movement rather than your normal one. At least that will make them need more Lures initially to get you.

Also remember Lure only has a 18 inch range and needs LOS. Meaning a Belle has a max threat with it of 22" due to their movement and second AP, and that Belle only gets once attempt and should it fail, the second belle will have to move foward and try as well thus only getting one attempt.

Never thought I would see a post about a Vik having problems with a belle. If anything, that belle is making things easier for you. Belles only have a def 3 and 8 wounds. Viks have a Cb 7 and deal 3/4/6 damage. If you are worried about McMourning following up, just defensive stance and then attack the belle and then drag her sister in and there you go. As a Resurrectionist player, the last thing I want is to pull combat masters into my zone, even with McMourning. If your opponent does have some type of trick up his sleeve that gets you, just go with what Enternal Void said, make yourself slower. The best of luck to you.

I have to agree with the good Lord Zombie.

Plus...as a Viks player you should be a heck of a lot more maneuverable. When I have trouble with Viks it's because I over-extend and expose myself too early.

Also...Sue has become an auto include for me for crews that are reliant on Wp duels...more for Ronin boosting. I love my Ronin. A lot.

Also should you get in on the belles at any point you can always have the other Vik cast the Sister of Battle or what ever it is called spell to get Fury and the +2 Damage that goes with it. Turning your spread to 5/6/8 pretty much means 2 weak damage will kill a belle. Hard to Wound is not much help when your weak is doing that much damage.

Would have to agree with Lord Zombie and WayWardSun13 in their confusion.

As EternalVoid says the Viks shouldn't have many problems eating Belles. The Sisters in Battle spell coupled with their Fates Entwined ability and Melee Expert should be dropping most models easily enough (and this is before you take into account the positioning shenanigans of Sisters in Spirit and extra free attacks from the Whirlwind Trigger).

Though against McMourning I would worry a lot less about the Belles and more about him. My recommendation would be to attack McMourning (who is usually the real heavy hitter in the crew) and bring a Ronin or 2 (and some extra SS) to fuel Another One? if you lose a Vik.

If you really want the Belles gone then use the Ronin who already have the :+fate to overcome Hard to Wound built into their weapon.

I would simply block LoS with an Immune To Influence mode with a bigger base, if you're able. I'd make him work for it. If you're not sure which to take, here's a short list of a few decent ones:

Any of the riders (Though if you're going for a shield, you may want to go for one more resilient, but beware of McM's abilities)

Teddy

Guild Guardian (Good choice to me)

Guild hunter (If you're looking for more offense)

Guild Warden

Or you could go with Lazarus... Which is probably what I would do.

You can consider taking a stitched together, too, if you'd just like to block a lot of LOS. They'd probably slow you down, though.

I would simply block LoS with an Immune To Influence mode with a bigger base, if you're able. I'd make him work for it. If you're not sure which to take, here's a short list of a few decent ones:

Or you could go with Lazarus... Which is probably what I would do.

Considering he is playing with the Viks, Lazarus is really the only option for this technique (outside of Brawls).

Of course the recommendation to stay out of LOS is a very good one especially when you consider how much terrain is recommended for the 3' X 3' board.

Edited by Omenbringer

Thanks to all who have commented there are some really good ideas here! ive only been playing a few months and against much better opponants! so remembering spells and triggers isnt my strong suit but with all this advice i think i may be able to put a usefull tactic together for my next game!

Depending on schemes and strats i think i may be shifting focus to McM but i really do need to get them Belles out the way as i seem to just feed them with Mini's!

The LoS idea is a good one could get Vik's up the board quickly without being dragged into harms way! whirlwind and sister in battle sounds like a great combo! hopefully the flips will be in my favour next time?

Appreciate all the tips guys! as you may have guessed! putting tactics together isnt my strong suit! tend to end up playing defensively so the help will hopefully improve my play!!

cheers again everyone!

You could also add Von Schill into your crew. Besides being extremely mobile and stupidly tough to kill he is also the bane of non-spirit undead.

He ignores hard-to-wound on both his melee and ranged attacks and his clockwork seeker is one of the best ranged weapons in the game. He can easily and quickly get to a place to threaten and kill any Belles you need. He can also destroy any corpse counters that might be around to prevent summoning.

Appreciate all the tips guys! as you may have guessed! putting tactics together isnt my strong suit! tend to end up playing defensively so the help will hopefully improve my play!!

The Viks really should be played offensively with a large SS cache.

I would suggest feeding a Ronin to the opponent early in the turn as a potential Lure victim. Even if the Ronin dies it will have absorbed a lot of effort in terms of lures and attacks, and with Hard to Kill the opponent has to work that much harder to make sure they finish the Ronin off. Ronin also tend to be a bit slower than the Viks, so with the help of Lure you can have them hitting your opponent at the same time as the Viks get there - which is usually turn 2 - turn 3 at the latest.

Once the Belles have activated then you can advance with the Viks, but to be honest a Lure can only help you. The more movement you don't have to do, the more attacks you are likely to have when you get to the opponent.

cheers again everyone!

Well if you like to play defensively and are constantly being Lured then there is always the option of Defensive Stance on the Viks while you are being pushed foward. It will give you a :+fate :+fate flip for your Df when you are attacked and that isn't bad at all.

• 2 weeks later...

ah yeah defensive stance yet another ability i forget about often! thanks Omenbringer :-)

and Serigala! the Ronin idea is cool too! activate the viks after sisters in spirit should get them across the board quickly!

some tactics worth trying to remember! :-)

thanks again.