Model Idea: Honest Citizen

Hateful Darkblack

A city is not made of monsters and soldiers. Most of the folk in a city are workers of various stripes, who live their days and hope to see no trouble.

In Malifaux, these citizens face dire prospects. The Guild promises them freedom and prosperity in exchange for their work, but most Malifaux citizens are likely to make the Guild richer at the cost of their own health and safety. Daily life for these citizens is often a painful toil, but the honest citizens quite correctly see this as far better than death at the hands of the assorted terrors that haunt Malifaux.

Honest Citizen

Guild, Insignificant

Soulstone Cost: 2

30 mm base

Wk/Cg: 3/4

Ht: 2

Wp: 3

Ca: 4

Df: 3

Wd: 3

TALENTS

Abilities

Superstitious: This model cannot be hired into a crew that contains any Graverobber, Undead, Neverborn, or Soulless models.

Noncombatant: This model gets :-fate to all Attack and Defense Flips. This model automatically fails all Morale duels.

Mob Mentality: This model activates simultaneously with all friendly Honest Citizens within 4".

Collateral Damage: When a model within 3" takes any number of Wd, you may discard a :rams card and sacrifice this model to cancel the damage.

Actions

(all) Hard Labor: This model suffers 1 Wd. Draw one Control Card.

(all) Commerce: Discard four cards from your Control Hand. Gain one Soulstone.

Spells

(all) Crowds to Hide In (CC: 12:masks/ Rst: -- /Rg:2) Bury a target friendly model. During the Start Closing Phase, unbury the target model within 2" of any friendly Honest Citizen. If this model is removed from play before the Start Closing Phase, unbury target model within 2" of this model immediately.

(all) A Hero Emerges (CC: 13:rams/Rst: -- /Rg:6) Sacrifice this model and one additional friendly Honest Citizen within range. Summon one Death Marshall, Latigo Pistolero, or Guild Guard.

EDIT: Updated July 10, with some changes based on recommendations below. Thanks for the feedback, folks!

Edited by Hateful Darkblack

Kind of a neat idea. But what would their role be? Why would I want to take a few of these? They aren't designed for combat, obviously. They have a low walk so are pretty immobile. Hard Labor would be helpful, but with only 3 WD, you sure couldn't do it very often. Commerce is also a little helpful, but cards in the hand are so precious, its rather expensive for just one ss. Perhaps it'd be helpful Round one and two.

That leaves Crowds and Hero. I have no idea why you'd use Crowd. You're taking one of your models out of play for what? The chance that all your Citizen's will get killed and you lose that model too? At first I thought Hero had some potential, but why go through all the trouble of hiring two citizens and hoping I get the spell off when for the same price I can just hire the model I want from the start? And it would be impossible to get off. It would only go off with 3 cards. I suppose you could try and harvest Hard Labor and Commerce a couple of times, then TRY to cast Hero, but it seems like a lot of trouble.

Don't get me wrong. I love the concept. Its adds some neat fluff and I think you were very creative in your design of it. I am just not sure why I'd take any of these in a game.

EDIT: I did think of one more use, I guess. I can't think of any "filler" models that the guild has at this ss cost. If I needed to burn 2ss to get down to my 8ss cache I might take one. But then, I think I might rather take a Des. Merc even before one of these. It'd be a game time decision.

Edited by Cadilon

Maybe, instead of costing 2 ss, it could be a "summoned" Guild Model?

Perhaps an errata where Guild Masters can summon an honest citizen to aid in the struggle.

I can just imagine Lucius intimidating a citizen to charge an undead zombie or something.

so if I summon 2 citizens, I can "make" them into a Guild Guard by using "A Hero Emerges"

i like the idea... may i nick it for some story encounter or league games?

Please feel free!

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

But what would their role be?

The idea is that they generate cards and soulstones (resources) during the first few rounds, then turn into a combat model. If you hire six of them, you can pretty easily gain 2 or 3 soulstones during the first two rounds of play, then convert them into three Death Marshalls. But they're at risk of getting killed before you can do that. So it's a gamble that gives you extra resources at a risk of losing the thing they'll turn into.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

I really, really like this model concept.

I'll grab a few in my next guild game.

Very well made.

Thanks! Let me know how they turn out! I had originally written this as a 1 SS cost model (and you need 4 of them to use Hero), but it seemed too powerful for 1 SS. If they seem underpowered, I may go back to that.

I would only get SS this way if I got low cards on my first turn, because having cards to cheat is always more important than have an extra SS. Either have them discard less cards or make it a :rams13 spell.

I really, really like the idea of the citizen and I like how they are fragile resource manipulators and I think you should develop that further. You could even have it where the citizen can discard a SS to get 3-6 cards, it could give them staying power if you decide to keep them around longer and it could then be worthwhile to take even one, because now, one is not worth the cost. You could add more resource tricks to make them more versatile and level them out by having more de-duffs like:

Bystandard: :aura2 Anyone friendly minion within this aura receives -1 Df and if this model is in melee range of an opponenet, it will always be the target for friendly ranged attacks.

sort of like the Canine Remains. These citizens are not meant for battle and they just get in the way. Make them squishy but also they add resource tricks to the Guild. I think that is awesome for theme.

Also, why not something like the pig's Stampede, called Riot where if you fail a resource flip, or something, they charge off and attack friend or foe alike. Shows the mob mentality and the fickleness of the people.

I like the feel and the idea of the model, but I have to echo what others have said: I'm not sure why I would take him. It's almost a better trade to sac the citizen to gain a stone than discard my entire hand. Might be a legit use? Buy one if you need to fill in a list to have a full cache, then sac him to get the stone back in the pool?

What if they had:

Ability:Collateral Damage

Discard a Ram- Sacrifice this model to cancel all wounds dealt to a friendly model within 3 inches.

Kind of shows that the guild isn't beyond using the innocent to further their own efforts

Edited by rsteelrose

What if they had:

Discard a Ram- Sacrifice this model to cancel all wounds dealt to a friendly model within 3 inches.

Kind of shows that the guild isn't beyond using the innocent to further their own efforts

I really like this idea. It'd be nice insurance against that one-shot kill on my master that always seems to happen just when I am starting to win.

What if they had:

hello! I think this is even better than using a Soulstone to heal... :P

plus it fits to the original theme of the Guild as healers..

Jackanory, Harmless would kinda fit the fluff, but more staying power and a more expensive model are two things I don't want.

The idea I was going for was a very fragile "victim" model that was nonetheless worth hiring. You know, the innocents who seem to die left and right in the fiction sometimes.

My goal was for a Guild player to say "This model is going to die for sure, but it's still worth hiring them."

Edited by Hateful Darkblack

Even with a way to reapply harmless it wouldn't be overpowered, and most if not all, models with Harmless have a way to do this. Second, A Hero Emerges, is an all act that only 6 cards in the game can cast, you shouldn't have to sac 2 citizens to bring in an equal cost model. Since there are requirements in-game(and strict ones at that) making it equal cost is a summoning-cuddle. Making it 1 citizen wouldn't over power the model, Masters just shouldn't have a built in conscription method.

Look at the few other 2ss models, they are significantly more powerful than what you have written out already, I believe your erring a tad too much on the side of caution.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

How about adding: Action- (1) Get your torches!!!:Sacrifice this model and 2 other Honest Citizens in base contact with it. Replace these with an Angry Mob, then continue the activation as normal for a replaced model. This action cannot be taken by models summoned this turn with "Well Done Men."

Angry Mob-Summoned- Base Size 50mm

Wk/Cg-4/6

Ht:2

Wp:6

Ca:4

Df:4

Wd:8

Improvised Armaments

Rg:Melee 2

Cb:5

Dg:1/3/4

Abilities:

Let's move: This model recieves +1/+1 Wk/Cg at the start of its activation for each Honest Citizen in base contact with it.

Numerous: When this model would receive a token of any kind, it instead gains that number of tokens +1. When killed or sacrificed, this model generates 1 corpse counter in addition to any other counters or models it would normally produce. If this model is the target of any effect that would produce a counter the model targetting it receives one additional counter of the type gained. Abilities that gain Soulstones are not affected in this fashion.

Are we Men?: At the start of its activation this model receives either Ruthless or Lifer, or its controller may discard one control card to give it both.

Your not welcome here: Damage flips made by this model versus Undead, Graverobbers, Nightmares, Nephilim, and Beasts receive a positive flip.

Actions:

(0): Or are we mice?: Sacrifice any number of Honest Citizens within 3,"

this model performs a healing flip for each model sacrificed in this manner.

(+1): Relentless

(1): Well done men: Sacrifice this model, summon 3 Honest citizens into base contact with it before it is removed from play. All wounds on this model are divided as you choose among the summoned models.

Edited by Golden

Interesting, Golden! That kind of makes it more of a combat unit than I wanted it to be. The idea I was going for was a utility model that dies easy, but is worth it until then.

Making A Hero Emerges work without another model Sacrifice sounds appealing, but I'd probably want to raise the cost a little first, or it would be too much of an auto-buy. The idea isn't to make Death Marshalls cost 2 soulstones plus one Spell -- that's a Resser tactic -- the idea is to give the Guild a utility model with good flavor.

I'd love to see a separate Angry Mob model based on what you're talking about. Maybe even have it so that the Honest Citizen can turn into one of them with A Hero Emerges too.