Been thinking about trying this at 35ss:

Colette

Mechanical Dove (2)

Lazarus (9)

Coryphee (7)

Coryphee (7)

Performer/ Mannequin (6)

Total: 31ss

Basically, Colette would Summon a Dove on Turn 1 and then kill both Doves to get 2 Scrap Counters. The Mannequin links to a Coryphee. The Coryphee form the Duet, and it moves out. Lazarus moves after it, taking the 2 Scrap and permanently Assimilates (0) Link from the Mannequin.

On Turn 2, Lazarus Links to the Duet.

He is now a formidable gunboat with one of the most mobile rides in the game. He can move 27" a Turn and still use his (2) Automatic Fire, or the Duet can get in close, do its thing and Lazarus can get three melee attacks with his exploding bayonet. What is more, over the following Turns he can choose to Assimilate Fast or any of the Duet's other great Talents. He could also Assimilate Object 3 from the Mannequin, giving him an effective Armour of 4 that cannot be ignored by anything.

It gets more interesting depending on how Link works with Assimilate. Since Link states its own end time, does Lazarus need to Assimilate it permanently? It might be that if he Assimilates it temporarily, then at the end of the Turn he will lose the ability to Link again, but would not lose the effect of a Link he has already made. If that is the case, Lazarus can use the 2 scrap Counters to permanently Assimilate (+2) Subconcious Actions from the Duet on Turn 1, and then on Turn 2 he Assimilates Link and then immediately uses it on the Duet. From Turn 3 onwards he could Assimilate (0) Dance of Souls from the Duet and then you have a super-mobile gunboat that can Assimilate, Heal and gain Use Soulstones every time he activates. If your opponent lets him live that long!

Meanwhile Colette is throwing Doves at the enemy, and when they die they are leaving Scrap Counters that the Duet can easily zip past for Lazarus to hoover up.

A slightly slower alternative would be to use the Mechanical Rider (permanently Assimilating Power Cycle) in place of the Duet, saving 6ss to spend on something else. Like a Large SPA for 3 more Scrap :)

EDIT: If Colette kills both Doves with Magician's Duel (cheating in Moderate as needed), she would get 2ss back as well as 2 Scrap Counters.

Edited by Sholto

Link once used, you stay linked until you do not meet the requirements set up by the rules of link, ie if you link turn 1 and never end a turn outside of base to base with the model you link to, you will stay linked until the end of the turn. So it just needs to be copied once. Also make sure to not activate and sacrifice the dove, as then it leaves no counters, but other than that it sounds nasty :D

Oooh, as a big fan of Lazarus in general, I've been on the look-out for good ways to still use him, now that the Bury errata took away the fun that could be had via the Soulstone Miner. This looks to be a very nice pairing. Lazarus makes a nice replacement for Cassandra in this build. Less showgirl heavy, but still quite strong, IMO. I like it.

And I agree, you would not need to permanently assimilate Link. Grabbing either Subconscious Actions, or (+1) Fast would be my choices. Though Subconscious is probably better for the first one, so that you can always do Assimilate plus two other things. Would be able to grab Fast every round that way. Interesting...

I have tried this exact list essentially trading Cassandra for the slightly more durable Lazarus. Downside is he isn't a showgirl but he does bring some nice construct synergy to the list. One strategy you might want to try is to spend Laz's first turn doing the (all) action to scavage for a free scrap counter. Then later in the turn make him disappear via Colette's disappearing act spell and placing him in a more strategic position at the end of the turn.

Not sure you can assimilate object 3 though as it's in the text above the talents/spell section.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

Oh also I made a proxy till the real deal comes out, hopefully soon!

Not my best paint job and I dislike the base but it more or less looks like the picture in book 3.

2012-06-06173957.jpg

I was going to put a dress on Laz :-P but alas that is beyond my skills.

Nice proxy. I like it. I was going to use either Ryle or a gun servitor I made for 40k (40mm base):

post-3371-13911923451594_thumb.jpg

I think you are right about Object not being a Talent. I didn't have the stat card to hand.

On the other hand, Buried models do not lose all Counters when they are Buried. That only happens if they are removed from the game while Buried.

• 4 weeks later...

finally proxied lazarus up and I will be trying this crew at 40ss tomorrow

list will be:

colette, 8ss

3 doves

performer and mannequin

lazarus

corphee

corphee

will post tomorrow evening to lat you know how it goes. should be facing perdita.

She does not need maximum cache, since she has so many ways of making new Soulstones. However, if you are being aggressive with your Duet (as this Lazarus/ Duet combo suggests) then you will probably be spending SS keeping the Duet alive and/ or making Doves for it to use as SS. I usually start with 4-6.

OK, the combo has now been tried :)

I took:

Colette, 8ss

Corphee

Corphee

Lazarus

Performer and mannequin

3 doves

Opponent took:

Perdita, 8ss

Santiago

Niño

Fransisco

Papa loco

Witchling stalker

Austringer

It was a shared supply wagon, corners deployment.

I took power ritual and announced sabotage

He took assassinate and stake a claim, announcing both.

Note: this was my first game with Colette.

The first 2 turns we're a little slow for me...setting everything up, but once they were set up, man the Lazarus/duet can't half shift and kill things.

It got the 2 far power ritual markers, killed the supply wagon and got the sabotage by itself. It also managed to survive! Being able to use soulstones and healing flips on both parts, as well as having both being fast enables them to get in and out as well as hit when required.

More testing needed.

• 2 months later...

anyone try this with more regularity?

I was considering running it next week at 35ss but it strikes me that Laz would need to permanenetly assimilate link turn 1 (as link and assimiltate are both 0, so would need to assimilate it turn 1 and then link to coryphee turn 2)

so this needs 2 doves (1 summon) which effectively makes Laz a 12ss cost, also the coryphee wont be able to do much T1 while all this is set up.

So the question is, is it worth the cost, waste of a turn to do it?

Also @Joel - you know you cant take sabotage AND power ritual, right?

I didn't, but it was my first game with colette :)

I've not tried this again since, but have used Laz in neverborn and outcast crews.

If the coryphee activate first and become the duet, laz can assimilate subconcious actions permanently on turn 1 - this will let him assimilate link and use it on turn 2.

I dont count the costs of the doves towards laz's cost since they can be made by colette and easily replaced.

I do think that effectivly doing nothing for turn 1 and part of turn 2 will oftne be a bad idea for a colette crew, but since she can go a long way to getting a turn 7, and the crew is so mobile, that outside of tournament time limits it's still viable and fun to try.

anyone try this with more regularity?

I was considering running it next week at 35ss but it strikes me that Laz would need to permanenetly assimilate link turn 1 (as link and assimiltate are both 0, so would need to assimilate it turn 1 and then link to coryphee turn 2)

The idea is discussed here quite a bit

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?35023-Lazarus-thoughts/page5

Its certainly a powerful end result, but opinions on it being worth the cost are split.

If you are perminently assimilating something on turn 1, You'll be far better to assimilate (+2) subconcouse actions, allowing Lazarus 3 0 actinons a turn, meaning turn 2 he can assimilate link and still link and heal. (Warning. Against crews which can seperate models you might actually find a perminent lionk better).

I do think that effectivly doing nothing for turn 1 and part of turn 2 will oftne be a bad idea for a colette crew, but since she can go a long way to getting a turn 7, and the crew is so mobile, that outside of tournament time limits it's still viable and fun to try.
With standard 6" deployment, one Coryphee can interact with a corner for Power Ritual (1 AP), Dance Together with the other Coryphee, who is at the other corner (1 AP), and then the Fast Duet can interact with the second deployment zone corner for its last AP. So, the Coryphee Duet doesn't have to be doing nothing Turn 1.