Any use Malifaux Raptors? If yes, why?

dunce002917

I just got to take a look at the Malifaux Raptor card. It says it can be included in a crew containing at least 1 Guild Austringer.

For Guild crews, it will cost 3 ss (like the Guild hound).

Is it worth to get 2 Malifaux Raptors (to lose insignificant) or should I just stay with Guild Hounds?

Anyone found a great use for the raptors?

I haven't found any real use for them with the guild... as guild as you have pointed out have guild hounds, they also have watchers which also fly and are I2I which are both quite good...

I only see their use for Marcus if you want to make enemies into beasts and Zorida for cheap Corpse counters... suppose they are more a fluff thing? Don't get me wrong I bet they can be useful in the right scenario.

You could make use of them with McTavish hired also...

Turn your own models into Beasts and beastobay them with Wrangle Critter... but ist 10 SS... so you can also hire directly Hamelin... :)

But Hamelin has not the nice Gun!... :)

But with perdita and Obelia the guild has already good access to Obay... :)

I see Raptors as being useful for three things;

1. Cheap Corpse Counters (you get two per model)

2. Turning something into a Beast

3. Getting in the way of your opponent's charges.

There are better models in the Guild for Point 3 (Guild Hound) so at this stage, the main use for a Raptor in a Guild crew is in combination with a Freikorps Trapper. The Enrage Trigger will give the Trapper a :+fate flip against the target model, and he can eat the corpse for healing flips.

McTavish would also work, since he'll also get that :+fate damage flip against beasts and Wrangle Critter gives him the potential to obey an Enraged model. But then again, those masks are often in high demand amongst Guild models.

I'd be interested in seeing someone try out a Raptor in a Guild crew but honestly, until the Guild gets a model that can benefit significantly from corpses then I suspect the soulstones are better spent elsewhere.

Is it worth to get 2 Malifaux Raptors (to lose insignificant) or should I just stay with Guild Hounds?
Firstly, you need three raptors to lose insignificant. One has to be within 3" of two other to lose it. So you need to buy two boxes.

Secondly, I bought a pack to use with Sonnia as exploding targets, but that was before I realized I needed to pay 3ss for them, whereas a dog is only 2.5. And the dogs can also companion with Sonnia so makes for much better missiles. I only think I used the raptors in one game vs Seamus, where I managed to blow up three belles with them, but again, I think dogs do that job better.

Seems like a no go eh? I guess if the Malifaux Raptors "Comes Cheap" like the Desperate Mercs, we would see more use for them.

Or perhaps, if the Guild found a friendly undead minion... since they were able to enslave a nephilim I don't see a reason why the Death Marshalls would not be able to steal some of Nicodem's or McMourning's toys...

My thought was the raptors could tag things to make thebastringers do damage easier.

Austringers get a :+fate to attack and damage gremlins and silurid - not beasts. So the Raptor's Enrage trigger has no effect on it's ability to hurt other models.

You know I hadn't thought about using Sonnia to blast fireballs off a Raptor. The Guild Hound has the advantage of companion, but easy to wound on the Raptor means there's much less need to cheat up the damage total up for a straight or positive flip. Is that worth the extra 0.5 SS? Well combined with it's higher mobility, maybe it is.

Austringers get a :+fate to attack and damage gremlins and silurid - not beasts. So the Raptor's Enrage trigger has no effect on it's ability to hurt other models.

You know I hadn't thought about using Sonnia to blast fireballs off a Raptor. The Guild Hound has the advantage of companion, but easy to wound on the Raptor means there's much less need to cheat up the damage total up for a straight or positive flip. Is that worth the extra 0.5 SS? Well combined with it's higher mobility, maybe it is.

interesting thought.. perhaps we can use the Raptors as Sonnia's easy (and cheap) Witchling Stalker incubator... granted the Guild hounds could the same and the Desperate Mercs are cheaper to blow up...

interesting thought.. perhaps we can use the Raptors as Sonnia's easy (and cheap) Witchling Stalker incubator... granted the Guild hounds could the same and the Desperate Mercs are cheaper to blow up...

Nah, Desperate Mercs have the advantage that they can actually do something before you blow them up and dogs are cheaper and have Companion which to me, offsets any advantage easy to wound gives the Raptors.

They seem pointless for me, if you have Marcus with them and want to throw them in your Guild crew and see what happens but I don't see why you would run Marcus with Raptors either though.

Well check out Spawn mothers and Gupps, they need Corpse counters to make gupps so the 2 point 40mm birds are ideal for this. also a 2ss beast model its good, pack mentality makes it a good objective grabber with flight and enrage is just silly in a markus list,

no for markus they are worth it.

One other thing to watch out for with Raptors is Flock means you have to activate all Raptors which are close to each other at the same time.

It sounds like a good thing but you don't have any choice in the matter which can force your hand when you would rather have the seperate activations.