In search of the real Colette DuBois

LastDinosaur

A bit of an odd request here, but shortly after the release of Twisting Fates there was quite a few threads about the various references from which various of the characters drew inspiration, Unexplained Connection, Collodi, etc.

IIRC there was a vintage poster of a real life Colette DuBois posted in one of them.

Unfortunately my search-fu is weak and I haven't been able to find it again, nor on the forums and neither on google where the Malifesque version gets the vast majority of the attention.

Soeh.. A simple request..

Could someone who saved that picture please repost it, or someone with a better search-fu than my own dig it up?

- Thank you very much in advance.

I'm sure any irreverence on his part was born of a lack of familiarity :P

Since when was that an excuse? :P

Besides when one sees someone go from a showgirl to the royal academy, even in our times, one knows we don't speak mere mortals anymore.

Not to mention the thought Colette may have actually traveled to Malifaux in this alternative universe of ours... Now this is actually thrilling, not something you casually "ah well" with. :P Just think of all the possible crew inspirations.

Since when was that an excuse? :P

Besides when one sees someone go from a showgirl to the royal academy, even in our times, one knows we don't speak mere mortals anymore.

Not to mention the thought Colette may have actually traveled to Malifaux in this alternative universe of ours... Now this is actually thrilling, not something you casually "ah well" with. :P Just think of all the possible crew inspirations.

Are you seriously angsting about someone not adressing a dead performer politely enough? :P

It's about as horrendous as someone going "Ah well" over this or this.

Malifaux has, quite cleverly at times, hidden a lot of "real life" references, and I don't see how we should get upset over someone not being familiar with all of them, and how they should be appreciating the godly greatness of some historic figure they've never heard of.

Are you seriously angsting about someone not adressing a dead performer politely enough? :P

It's about as horrendous as someone going "Ah well" over this or this.

Malifaux has, quite cleverly at times, hidden a lot of "real life" references, and I don't see how we should get upset over someone not being familiar with all of them, and how they should be appreciating the godly greatness of some historic figure they've never heard of.

I believe you've missed the point. First of all, I'm not "angsting" nor upset. I'm after causing grief, nightmares and cold sweat (in copious amounts), hopefully ruining his next date.

There's nothing wrong about not knowing who the historical figure was. We all ask and learn. Even parading own ignorance isn't all that bad anymore. The poster, on the other hand, went all the way to read Wikipedia article and then called "this woman" a writer, who may deserve more respect than the later of your links (depending on who you ask, your mileage may wary). There's a matter of manners, delicacy and due reverence to immortal greatness. So it is not the ignorance but lack of subtlety and gentleness which is being criticized here.

And before you say this is internet forum and put some "lols" in, let me point out that nowhere are these values more important, than on the internet forums.

Saying "This woman" is no more disrespectful then saying "this man". Taking umbrage over the phrase "this woman" is misogynistic as it implies that the word woman is derogatory.

This has never even been suggested though. The issue was with the lack of multiple and highly necessary expressions of awe and respect to reference the great Colette, to be used instead of neutral terms. Nobody suggested the used term was derogatory, but rather the lack of properly expressed rev itself was rude - not the same thing.

On a more thread relevant note. Has anybody put together a list of real-world influences?

This man was pretty easy to find/

I suppose we could just hijack this thread, as it's pretty much just Q'ig'el being hurt over dissing that woman. ;)

On the top of my head:

Lady Justice - This woman

Hoffman - Semi-this man

Perdita - This man

McMourning - This man

Seamus - This man mixed with this man

Nicodem - This man?!

Marcus - This man

Colette - That woman we've already covered

Rasputina - ...this man?

Ramos - This man

Pandora - This woman

Zoraida - This woman

...etc. There's obviously a bunch of more stuff out there, but now I have to work. :(

I suppose we could just hijack this thread, as it's pretty much just Q'ig'el being hurt over dissing that woman. ;)

Is my memory failing me, or did the last man to diss Colette end up being pierced with Cassandra's sword through the roof of a carriage? Hmm. I'd rather be on the safe side.

Baba Yaga is probably the most obvious association when it comes to Zoraida, but in the Book 1 fluff Lilith+Pandora+Zoraida are more like the three witches from Macbeth... and that associates with the three Erinyes. Seeing how the Zoraida's theme is messing up the fate, Lilith is into corporal punishment and Pandora into causing anguish and despair, it actually sounded somewhat intriguing and a well constructed analogy to me - obvious, but not overly so. Part of the reason I started Malifaux with Lilith. Still need to get Pandora and Zoraida though.

So for me Baba Yaga is no more than aesthetic inspiration. The character of Zoraida is something more to me.

I'm pretty sure there's also a better source of inspiration for Nicodem. Perhaps some silent movies?

Perdita as Speedy Gonzales? Harsh, dude. Borderline offensive.

She's more like Catherine Zeta Jones as the Lone Ranger to me, but I suspect it's a mix of a few gunslinging women. Perdita reminds me a bit of Etta Place, who was the companion of the Sundance Kid for a number of years.

Nicodem- Baron Samedi?

This was was I thought. When I was starting the game I considered buying him and painting his face in the skull pattern associated with channeling Samedi, but was dissuaded by the huge number of models I would need. Seems to fit especially with his avatar. Now we need another alt. scupt of him daancing and drinking something borderline poisonous.

Von Schill and his Freikorps were real guys who were ultimately killed rebelling against the occupation of Germany by Napoleon. However they apparently did pretty well considering they were outnumbered four to one and the king of Prussia had basically told him to shut up and stop causing trouble as opposed to rallying the people or something. However, he died about 92 years before the time in which the game takes place opens, so unless Malifauxverse Von Schill is just so badass that Death doesn't want to touch him, it can't be the same guy. My personal guess is that he's a grandson or great grandson of the original, whose rebellion went much better in this timeline. That or when he was about to die, he became an Immortal.* Either explanation works for me.

*TV Tropes would have said something about a time lord. Screw TV Tropes.

Oh yes' date=' you are right! I've spend my childhood over these BDs... :D It's actually "Lucky Luke" and yes, the undertaker there was looking quite like Nicodem! :D[/quote']

post-9645-13911922528237_thumb.jpg

You are quite correct! Fun. It would be really cool of a Dev would come in and comment as well. I bet they sit and watch these threads and just laugh to themselves.