A Hassle with the Hoff

Ausplosions

My usual Hoffman crew varies depending on the Strategy flipped. Though normally I take the Guardian, either a Peacekeeper or Ryle and a Watcher. I then fill in the rest either with Austringers or recently Exorcists.

IMHO the Hunter is best leaving out except for larger games as they work best in pairs and used for grabbing objectives.

Ryle is very good against large crews, that gun is brutal, and Hoffman offsets his weaknesses. I run him construct only. I also really love the Soulstone Miner. So great for objectives, along with the Watcher. Those two things are unstoppable objective grabbers. Miner gets insignificant when unburying, but depending on the objective he's still hard to defend against.

The only problem with the Miner IIRC is that it is special forces. So if you take the Miner you cannot take Ryle.

Yeah can't take both... and why would you?

A list of wardens and peacekeepers may consist of you discarding alot of cards for alot of movement but it could be soo worth it.

I don’t really understand the mobile tool kit it is not vary good, it has up sides limited healing, always with you but it has some major flaws, its 4ss, it is easy to wound and its CA is not that great and it has the wrong suit. the Attendant is a ryle jr model with a ranged attack that is not so bad, he is only 3ss, he is not insignificant, has a high ca with a ram, and has 6 health. so he has to move on his own he just more useful in the game imho. And his model looks awesome.

My catch all list is the following

The hoff with a cache of 4ss

Attendant 3ss

watcher 3ss

Warden 5ss

Guardian 7ss

Peacekeeper 9ss

Ryle 8ss

the list is fast and has some good range. If i need alot of speed due to the mission i will take the watcher and guardian out and replace them with two wardens so i have 4 models that can move 15 inches a turn.

Hope this helps

-Andrew

Questions come up about hoffman lists every couple of weeks. These are the models which seem to work best with hoffman.

Peacekeeper,

Guardian,

Wardens,

Watchers,

Ryle,

Mechanical Rider,

Pale Rider,

Lucius

Soul stone miner

Whichever totem you want if you want one.

Lucius is really only for when you include Ryle and want to shoot a lot.

I don’t really understand the mobile tool kit it is not vary good, it has up sides limited healing, always with you but it has some major flaws, its 4ss, it is easy to wound and its CA is not that great and it has the wrong suit. the Attendant is a ryle jr model with a ranged attack that is not so bad, he is only 3ss, he is not insignificant, has a high ca with a ram, and has 6 health. so he has to move on his own he just more useful in the game imho. And his model looks awesome.

I normally take the Toolkit. I understand the Attendant's upsides, but in a Hoffman 'construct fortress' I find the toolkit more useful. First, it has a couple of different ways to heal. It has its own (2)Weld Together healing. If it has scrap counters it can also magical extension Combat Mechanic as a one action, which he does have the right suit (:tomes) for. He can then for his second action grant Hoffman a :tomes as well so he can cast Combat Mechanic. His Handy means he's always right there to give Hoffman an extra CA from Hoffman's Empowered. He's also always right there as a target for Tap Power to give Hoffman fast as well. Finally, Hoffman can allow it to ignore his Easy to Wound through Perfect Machine.

He obviously isn't intended for offense as opposed to the Attendant, but is instead more as a support for the fortress of construct goodness Hoffman is pulling around the table. They really serve two purposes. For myself, I'd rather have some extra healing for the Peacekeeper than an Attendant shooting with a 4CB at 1/2/3, or running around on its own. I would rather take a couple of watchers for operations away from Hoffman.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

Add a totem for Tap Power fodder and you're trolololing to the bank.

Ha! First time I've seen 'trolololing' used as a verb. Excellent!

The mobile toolkit is something I almost always take with hoffman, and oh the evil joy it gives me to use it in two master games teamed with either colette or sonnia.

One model I think you guys are over looking however are the steampunk arachnid swarms. I know there so bread and butter, but these guys are insanly good with Hoffman, not only do they already have melee master (so if Hoff taps their power they can still make three attacks) and a paralyzing trigger--they can also heal themselves, have pass through, arachnid, and can split apart into three smaller units if about to die and basically become three scrap counters for hoff.