Spirits DONT move through terrain and buildings

Truthsayer

Question

I have just brought this up in a Terraclips thread, and I wanted as many people to see this, and actually have a proper look at the rules. Everyone has been saying spirits can move through buildings, and through floors on a Terraclips board (or a similar setup) when Im fairly sure they can't. Any responses are welcome, so we can clear this up. If I'm correct, this will help reduce the effectiveness (cheating) of spirits on a TC board.

"Im gonna have to bring this up, as everyone says how easy it is for spirits on a TC board. Can someone give me the exact pages which state that spirits can move so easily through a building.

I have been looking through the rules, and a building counts as blocking and impassable. Spirits and float allow you to move over blocking and impassable terrain. That doesn't mean you can float THROUGH a door or floor. You could obviously move onto a balcony, or onto the roof, but NOT straight into the building. If there is a ground floor with a door, and a wall around it, and then another floor, with a surrounding wall (as is normal for buildings) and finally a roof, you would only be able to move onto the roof, as the rest is blocking and impassable. Same with a floor within a building, it is blocking and impassable, but you aren't able to move OVER it, as there will generally be four surrounding walls. The only way is to climb up stairs. The only thing a spirit can move through is other models.

"Spirit: Models with the spirit characteristic are non-living models that can move through other models and do not block LOS. Spirits can move over and stop on impassable terrain...."

With this, you could stop on the side of a wall (with the help of blu tac) but thats all.

"Terrain: Structures are enclosed pieces of terrain, typically buildings of some sort. Effect: Structures have the elevated (and a HT), impassable, and blocking traits. Structures also have one or more entrances and windows.Entrances do not have the impassable trait and are the only way a model can enter a structure through a movement effect. Models inside a structure move as if it was open terrain. (Personal note: This clearly is regarding moving around on each floor, so there are no movement penalties. The physical parts (floors and walls) are still blocking and impassable). Windows are impassable and blocking but have a Ht of 1. Structures may possess multiple levels and, if so, models inside the structure may move between levels as if the structure had the climbable trait. (Personal note: This is regarding going up stairs, or if a building doesn't have stairs within it. If this was the case, the players would agree that all models pay the movement effect.) Entrances can require a (1) Interact to open or close doors if players wish."

Im very sure there is no mention of spirits just moving THROUGH things, or going wherever they please. Methinks there has been a slight amount of people reading what they want to read. :Smug_Puppet1: But if you think I'm wrong, please direct me to the entries that argue against this. And this isn't targeted at any one person, I think as a community people thought spirits could move through terrain, when that is not the case."

25 answers to this question

If the spirit doesn't have float or fly they cannot just go straight up through floors however, as far as I know.

This is the way i see it, but having float or flight doesn't change it either. Float doesn't say "can move through terrain" either. I still feel this has not been answered. If Poulpox is correct, and it was 'intended' to say move through rather than over, why is there not an errata for it??

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Well, conceivably they could Jump to a higher elevation if underneath a floor or something.

And this could be achieved if there weren't four surrounding walls IMO, which is why I am very confused by this ruling.

Fly and Float lets you go over terrain. Spirit is supposed to let you go through it.

Ratty has mentioned this before. A Spirit can go inside of a building without using a door, but couldn't land on the roof without climbing or some similar access. A model with Fly/Float could end their movement on the roof, but couldn't get inside without using an entrance.

Edited by Wolfgar

It might be worth stating how the Rules Marshal mechanic works for those new to the forum.

It could seem like someone's just shouting 'Yes you can!'/'No you can't!' without giving a referance to the rules manual.

Remember, most people are still hungover from other sites (you know the ones. Where any jumped up idiot thinks that his/her opinion is gospel...)