When to take the dead rider?

JisaacT

I have been having trouble deciding when I want to bring out the dead rider. During my low SS games he draws lots of attention and costs so much, obviously taking valuable space for other minions. Higher cost games it's not as big of a deal but then he has more minions to fight against to take him down. When are good situations to bring him out?

Dead rider is strong but certainly not an auto include.

Like with any model you need to asses what he brings to the table for the cost. Dead rider does lots of melee damage and is hard to bring down especially with a grave spirit attached. He is also very mobile can drag units around and is immune to WP duels. If you feel these attributes are what you need in a particular game then bring him in. Also consider if other models can perform the same functions at a lower ss cost.

An alternate way to decide is to experiment. Play a few games without him then play a few games with him and just see what you felt the difference was.

I would usually steer clear of investing 11ss in one model in a 25ss game but there is a time and place for everything.

This is just the thread I needed. I recently picked up a rouge necromancy and almost immediately my friends questioned as to why I didn't get the dead rider instead. Now I feel like I made the wrong choice.... I was thinking about linking the grave spirit to the necro for the same cost as the dead rider. I'm just drawn towards the necro I guess... Did I make a mistake in getting the necro?

I dont htink you did because I love rogue necro. First he is ranged and has possible blast damage. Hes big but takes alot of shots. Paired up with molly she can get acid breath from him then the necrotic machine totem can copy that from molly and boom you got 3 people slinging acid spit across the board.

Is the dead rider good for going after objectives or should he be kept for fighting purposes? Is he best against a more melee team or best against dudes with guns?

Dead rider is strong but certainly not an auto include.

He's not be an "auto include" in every resser list just like the twins are not an "auto include" in every neverborn list. In my experience he offers so much utility and survivability to a resser crew that he is often the first model in my lists.

I play Seamus and Molly. Last time I brought him in he got blasted quickly :( My grave spirit died from a blast. I guess just some back luck and poor planning

He either goes down hard to big flips or dosent go down at all. It is very rare that he gets nickled and dimed to death.

The real difference between the Rogue necromancy and the dead rider is that you can summon the rogue necromancy. This makes him a great model to own even if you don't start with him on the board when you play either Douglas or Nicodem.

I cant agree with this enough.