Ramos totem... brass arachnid or mobile toolkit?

*Jack*

Hi all, just wondering what the consensus on the options for ramos's totem were. Both are extremely valuable, and I'd take both if I could, but...

Mobile toolkit - Nice to get the extra tome, makes casting some spells easier, and triggers surge on every casting :D I love the idea of this, but I can't see, in any way, how this would be better than...

Brass arachnid - Reactivate a construct. WTFLOL. That's amazing. Charge steambourg in, charge attack and melee expert, reactivate for 3 attacks. WOWZA.

Anyone have any opinions or experiences? Am I overlooking something?

Jack

Mobile toolkit every single time.

If you don't take it Ramos struggles to cast spells, and it gives you hand recycling.

Brass Arachnid looks good, but there's only 4 (Maybe 5, can't remember) cards in the whole deck that can give reactivate (And you could use those cards for uber damage etc), reactivate is super situational, and the arachnid just sort of doesn't do anything if you don't hit those needed cards.

Honestly?

Mobile toolkit 100% of the time.

Yes, or have the SS miner kill it to get the soul stone back :)

As CalmDown says, you need the MTK to make sure Ramos can cast Construct Spider and Summon Electrical Creation. Without this he's so :tomes dependant that he struggles to perform at all.

Edited by mythicFOX

Hi all, just wondering what the consensus on the options for ramos's totem were. Both are extremely valuable, and I'd take both if I could, but...

Mobile toolkit - Nice to get the extra tome, makes casting some spells easier, and triggers surge on every casting :D I love the idea of this, but I can't see, in any way, how this would be better than...

Brass arachnid - Reactivate a construct. WTFLOL. That's amazing. Charge steambourg in, charge attack and melee expert, reactivate for 3 attacks. WOWZA.

Anyone have any opinions or experiences? Am I overlooking something?

Jack

You're overlooking that the steamborg has Flurry. 4 Attacks.

If you have another source of cards, Rusty Alyce for example, you can often make do without the MTk. Then, with good card discipline, you can make a couple critical reactivates in critical turns, and that could be huge.

If you're going to do this, don't plan on being able to summon every turn, certainly don't plan on double-summons. Unless you're willing to burn SS to make your low-tomes into high tomes.

There are only four cards in your deck that can cast Stoke; 11,12 & 13:tomes and the Red Joker. Assuming you hold these for Stoke then you're down to 3 or 4 cards in the deck you can use to summon EC and Spiders.

If Ramos isn't summoning (or an Avatar) he probably isn't doing anything of value in a given turn. For me the chance that he might get some cool reactivate trick off is much worse than having him actually work all the time.

If you want to play so something cool happens one game in four then that's cool, you're just shooting yourself in the foot for the other three game.

Adding in Alyce to the equation, you can use her to grant Reactivate via Burnout, use the Tool Kit to help Ramos with his Tomes, sack it for the 'stones, healing, or whatnot, manifest Ramos on his second activation, and the effects of Burnout just fall right off. Depending on which turn / how much ap that cost you, proceed to go crazy with Avatar Ramos this turn.

Yeah, I too prefer the Mobile Toolkit every time. Those tomes are too good to pass up, plus the healing and exploding characteristics. If Brass Arachnid brought SOMETHING else to the table, maybe he'd be worth it. But a 4/52 chance to reactivate as the only benefit, he's not too good at all.

The only place where he excels over the toolkit is in spellcasting, since he has a slightly higher cast, but all of Ramos good spells are suit dependent, so this won't necessarily help much.

The one place I do run a Brass Arachnid is in dual master games. Hoffman with Mechanical Attendant and Ramos with Brass Arachnid means you can grant tomes to the Arachnid and hence his reactivate spell is 300% more likely to be useable.

Ah... Didnt see the extra tome on the arachnid. Going on this, I've pretty much decided to run the mobile toolkit with my ramos :) Getting a surge trigger every time seems like a good way to recycle low cards for hopefully high ones.

Also considering running avatar ramos, can manifest turn 2, but I'll lose my mobile toolkit which is a shame :( Anyone have an experience with this? is it even worth it?

• 2 weeks later...