Pandora

Foton

I'm a long time Viks and Von Schill player, and I picked up Pandora to have a less bashy master. After figuring her out, and stomping around with her box, I'm wanting to figure out where to go next. Budget is not a concern. Flexibility is. I want to be at a competitive level with Pandora before GenCon and need to know what the more experienced players think. I've got a few Ideas. Baby Kade is a must. He's awesome and has 2 kills to luring off enemy models off of ledges. (Both 6" high. Same game. Kinda felt bad about it.) So what can you suggest? What has good synergy with the insatiable Pandora? The tactica was a good start.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insisdious Madnesses are a must, even 1 will put the hurt on the enemy and make them change strats around it. Also Doppelganger, something about 5 self-loathings that cause 2 Wds from emotional trauma (plus her :-fate on enemy initiative, and her less then savory tricks) are just awesome

Copy Unhealthy Relationship too, and then have sorrows in B2B with the DG using (0) mimic to also copy Emotional Trauma - nothing hurts more than your opponent losing 4 or 5 wounds every time pandora does incite or pacify :)
Everythings fun when you can kill an entire Gremlin crew in one activavtion.

I've had relatively good success with the twins (but it's hard NOT to have success with them), Doppels and Madnesses are awesome as has been said. Stitched are also great, and Coppelius is as well, or so I've heard.

Also, Iggy.

Neverborn Crew - 35 - Scrap

Pandora -- 8 Pool

Arcane Effigy [4ss]

Doppelganger [8ss]

Lelu [7ss]

Lilitu [7ss]

Sorrow [3ss]

Sorrow [3ss]

or

Neverborn Crew - 35 - Scrap

Pandora -- 6 Pool

Arcane Effigy [4ss]

Doppelganger [8ss]

Insidious Madness [4ss]

Insidious Madness [4ss]

Lelu [7ss]

Lilitu [7ss]

My 2 competetive Tournament List ;) (without avatar, but avatar can be very good depending on your opponent and strategy)

In a competitive environment however these combos should be abused. If you are in a tournament to win you should bring the nastiest list you can. It will also help the game in the long because Wyrd will get a chance to hear about it and the can decide if it is really something they want in the game.

All games evolve once a larger group of play testers get their hands on them, and once the general public gets its hands on the rules the OP combos continue to be discovered. The more Wyrd becomes aware of the trend the better chance we have of them eventually changing it so it no longer exists in current form.

Copy Unhealthy Relationship too, and then have sorrows in B2B with the DG using (0) mimic to also copy Emotional Trauma - nothing hurts more than your opponent losing 4 or 5 wounds every time pandora does incite or pacify :)

Diamond in an ice storm.

This makes me giddy beyond belief. I spend most of my turns pacifying crap anyways. I absolutely love this idea. I am getting the avatar. Some cool stuff here.

Oh please, Pandora is far from the only 'broken' master out there... at least when she's dead, she stays that way, the same goes for her crew. And lets not forget, this game IS NOT about tabling the opponent, but working strategies and schemes. People who bitch about OP are often target blinded and turn the game into a $$$$$$$$ing contest. Pandora was my first Master, she has a massive learning curve, and I had no idea what she could do when I purchased her. So keep your complaints for another thread, this one's purpose is quite clear. Kthxbai :-D

No the game is not about tabling the opponent, but being able to easily kill your opponent is an extremely powerful ability. A model which is extremely deadly often projects more real board control than a dedicated "control" model does.

Purely objective grabbing forces often don't do well outside a very few specific situations. Add this to the fact that a goodly number of the schemes and strategies require either massive kill campaigns, or specific assassinations. If you bring a force that cannot kill things you often don't do well.

I agree with Calmdown's sentiment that the best way to control a model is to kill it. No longer being on the table means it does nothing else for the rest of the game. The reason Malifaux is more interesting is because you have a very limited amount of actions to accomplish what you are attempting to do, and so when you attempt to kill things you must have a reason to kill your target. Attacking an enemy model simply to kill it will lose you games, attacking and killing with purpose will win you games.

Pandora excels not only at "control" but her version also kills you while she basically says, "No, you can't play your crew the way YOU want. You'll play the way *I* want, and I'll kill you while you're doing it".

So I agree that Pandora needs a rework, and at least a reduction of her SS Cache.

I stand by my sentiment that Pandora is not the hardest master to face, and once u know how to counter her (ie, denying a success at a critical point in the incite/pacify train), she is really quite fragile and takes a lot of finesse to use properly... at least against opponents that know her. Cuddling usually just leads to resentment. Why should I, who bought Pandora simply due to aesthetics, have to re-learn how to use her because some (yes, some) players cant combat her? I have yet to defeat Dreamer/LCB, yet I wouldnt dream of asking for the cuddlebat (or Hamelin for that matter) as their abilities reflect the the character

The same argument can be made in reversal. Your argument only stands if you accept that all masters have an equal chance of victory against Pandora, which clearly isn't the case.

I have started Pandora and I'm still among those who feel that Pandora should definitely be dialed back a good deal. Either that or all the lower powered masters need to be buffed up to her level.

But anyway I've already gone through this argument earlier so I'll leave it here.

Not every master needs an equal chance to win against Pandora (or any other master) coz Malifaux is not balanced on a master vs. master level.

No doubt, Pandora can be a pain in the ass, but that's also true for other masters. But on the other hand, no master really dominates the tournament scene, also some of them are more likely to appear in the top 5 rankings than others. Pandora is not overrepresented in the tournament scene, there are a lot masters that see more table time than her.

In my book, the main issue with Pandora is, that it's really hard to deal with her if you are new to Malifaux and don't really know how the game is played.

Really wish people would stop pushing the 5x Emotional Trauma exploit (and the self-Dementia one too). It's broken on a level beyond almost anything else in the game and I genuinely think it should be cuddled into the ground.

Mike

I don't think it's any more broken than other combos in the game, and I think people overstate how effective it is. Aiden was using it at masters in the game against me and a quick Mature Neph to the Dopplegangers head put a stop to it. It's powerful, but easy enough to unpick.

My point exactly, once again thanks to MP!

Pandora's crew bleeds just like any other living crew. I get close to pulling my hair out going up against Nico, Somer et al. Yes Pandora can take out most minions in one (0) action if set up properly, but when they come back next round and she has limited access to healing, the whole thing falls apart easily