50ss worth of Marcus for tourney - Help!

Tpenksa

In April I will be participating in a two day Malifaux tournament featuring 24+ players from Vancouver BC to Portland, OR. This is the second year of the annual tourney and it's an absolute blast!

The rules are one master for the entire weekend (additional Henchman are allowed), and a 50ss "pool" to pick from at the beginning of each match. The campaign is a storied campaign and all strategies are predetermined at the beginning of the first day, opponents are assigned first at random then by overall point rankings. Throughout the tourney you CAN NOT pick the same scheme twice. Last year games were 25ss, 30ss, 40ss, 35ss, 45ss, 30ss, 25ss. Because its a storied campaign (trying to track Dr. Tilinghast and his beast to find his secret soulstone vein) there are minor objectives each round that don't help towards your VP but give you a bonus in your next match (free + on a flip, or instead of a (2) interact your first one is (1), or an interact free).

Last year half the field brought Sonnia, this year looks like about half are bringing Lillith.

Whew....

With all that and me being a new Marcus player (I took Rasputina last year) I was hoping for some advice on what I should take for my 50ss. Last year there were not too many forests, but who knows this year. So far I was thinking:

Marcus,

Kaeris

Student

Gunsmith

Sillurid x2

Mole x2

Night Terrorx3

With either Slateridge Mauler or another Sillurid +Desperate Merc for the last 7? Or something different altogether?

Please any advice is a HUGE help.

I'm not a Marcus player (though I'm rapidly getting interested in starting his crew) but is it really not worth taking Myranda for your last 7 SS? Given she can essentially become a Slate Ridge Mauler if you want, it seems like an odd decision to take one of those instead. The flexibility she offers would seem to be more than any other 7 SS you could take.

That's all presuming that you can bring more than 50 SS worth of stuff that isn't part of your restricted list. Myranda seems like a slightly underhand way to increase your available pool of models - a Mauler, a Shikome, a Razorspine and a Cerberus all in one.

This is all speculation though, so I'd be interested to hear the argument in favour of leaving her out. :P

Myranda is nice as a healer too, although it depends what cards you have in hand, but sometimes it's nice to have a model with heal. The other option is a silent one, which actually goes well with Myranda and a Raptor to copy/combine spell power however you already have Kaeris for that purpose, so not sure there's a need. You don't seem to have much melee model (I don't know if Kaeris is any good at it?) so as is mentioned above, Myranda could serve that purpose (Waldgeist are nice too, especially if there are lots of woods on the board).

Yes I think I'd have Myranda.

:)

EDIT: Silurids are good in melee except when facing non-living where they lose a bit their umph I think

I'd go for a soulstone miner or a waldegeist, the former is perhaps one of my favourite models atm, whilst the latter is a consistently great piece for his soulstones, with or without woods!

You should listen to this man

Also, you should have a second Gunsmith. I'd drop the Molemen to make some room; they're not always useful, and in a limited pool, you want maximum options.

You should listen to this man

Also, you should have a second Gunsmith. I'd drop the Molemen to make some room; they're not always useful, and in a limited pool, you want maximum options.

On the contrary to Calmdown, I would never take a second gunsmith. For the extra ss on the 2 6ss options I presented, the obvious choice is a jackalope, which is a great thing to take for a point.

With the second gunsmith, I find I have enough range when you factor in Kaeris and a gunsmith, that very rarely do I feel the need for more range, and the gunsmith is too fragile IMO when you can have a waldegeist instead.

I've found myself taking molemen less and less, as for a defend me trigger you might as well use a night terror for spirit and hard to kill, so if you fancy dropping them I'd reccomend putting a SSMiner, Waldegiest and Jackalope in, if not then take your pick out of the two 6ss minions!

Thanks for the input guys. I wasn't thinking the molemen for defend me, but more to help reconnoiter. Either way...

So with that drop the moleman x2 for a soulstone miner, and my remaining 7ss go with Waldegeist or Myranda?

Is 3 Night terrors too much?

Now with the soulstone miner, when does he pop up from tunneling? At the start of both players activation phase? or at the start of the Soulstone miner's activation phase?

Don't even look at myranda, utter trash, go waldegiest and a jackalope.

With the soulstone miner you do the following;

Turn 1 - Defensive stance, Overdrive, Burrow.

(This means when it comes up it has defensive stance and melee master, and it doesn't take the 2 wounds from overdrive as its buried).

Move it 8" each turn in the close phase.

Get it into a good position near a support/range minion (Daydreams, Austringers, Convict Gunslingers etc), you then draw your hand, and BEFORE initiative, you choose to bring it up or not.

If you do, then you flip for initiative and you'll more or less have to soulstone it if you lose as the SSMiner can't take damage. You then hit the thing you're next to for Melee master twice, then one general AP. If you're gonna kill it, try and put a crow in for the trigger to gain a soulstone. You then have one AP left, which you can either reburrow with (And keep Melee master and defensive stance), or you can hit your target a 4th time, it depends on the situation but usually reburrowing is better.

Is 3 Night terrors too much?

3 Night Terrors is actually the optimal number. Flock Together gets exponentially better the more you have; 4 is normally overkill, but 2 doesn't always give you as many options.

I run plenty of lists with 1 or 2, they're amazing models, but a flock of 3 is the best bang for your buck.

I've not been playing Marcus long, but I can offer up some advice.

1. Night terrors are great, and 3 is really the optimum number. It gives you an extra 12" a movement with flock together. And, believe it or not, they make great harrassment units. If you fly them up to a bit 8 or more SS melee monster, and get your trigger off, then you can effectively stop that model from being a threat for at turn.

2. Shikome are great and you cannot go wrong with them. They have lots of speed and power and can buff your crew.

3. Miranda is hit or miss. I've found, that she can be a very nice tool kit, but if you dont turn her into something turn one or two, then you're less likely to ever do it. Her spell needs a 9 of books, so unless you have it in your hand, your not likely to get it. Plus, it will take atleast a turn for her to transform and be usefull. What I've found best, is to turn her into a cerberus and have her walk with a rogue necromancy and be able to cast his acid breadth. That, or turn her into a rare 1 model that you already have. She is the only way to get past a rare limit.

Thats if for now I think.

A couple questions still regarding the soulstone miner:

IF I put defensive stance on, and pop up two tuns later, do I still suffer the -2/-2 to wk/cg?

Also I thought buried models still suffer from affects that were played before they bury that turn, so wouldn't the 2 wounds from overdrive still happen?

Last, can Marcus' best way of achieving a hit and run be explained to me? I don't see how you get enough actions to achieve it while still doing more than a 1/2/4 dmg flip. (0) Wild heart with an additional tome = = Bear and Serpent. Charge from the serpent, hit once, walk away? That is 7" but I have heard people can get 10" away how?

Thanks again for all your help, with only one game with him under my belt I still have a lot to learn.

Yes you still have -2wk/-2cg, and no you don't take the wounds from overdrive, was ruled recently.

As for getting 10" away;

+2dg

Replace wk with cg (Remember this ignores intervening models so you can walk back through your own models)

Discard a card to charge for (0)

Charge for (0), so you can move 8, plus 2" melee distance.

Strike on the charge, strike for (1), walk 8 away (Plus the two for melee = 10)

So wait, I've been doing this wrong. If you get the spell off, that is one effect, but Marcus has a book in his cast, so thats two effects, then if you cast with a book in the flip then you get three effects?!?!?!? I DIDNT KNOW THAT!

I had the same realization happen for me after my first few games with Marcus.

He is significantly more effective with 2/3 effects per turn. ;)

New 50ss "pool" looks like this:

Marcus

Kaeris

Jackalope

Student of Conflict

Gunsmith

Night Terror x 3

Sillurid x 2

Soulstone Miner

Waldegeist

Total 5= 50 exactly....

What does everyone think of this, should I make room for another melee minion, sabertooth, Mauler?

So far I have purchased:

Marcus

Kaeris - Just finished painting tonight.

Jackalope

Student - Up Next

Gunsmith - Painted

Night Terror blister

Soulstone Miner/Silurids on order.