Best Doppelganger Targets

The Doppelganger is clearly a great utility piece. It has the potential to maximize your crew's strengths or counter the opponents. That said some abilities seem to stand out as better than others for copying. So what say we get a good list going of the best Doppelgoodness? Any particularly nasty combos?

One combo I've seen mentioned before is copying Zoraida's Wp 10 and then any ability that does bad things to the opponent with a Wp duel (Gamble Your Life from Stitched seems to be popular).

I'll add more own once I get home and have access to my books.

Pandora + Doppelganger + (#) of Sorrows.

Doppelganger and Sorrows are in base to base with Pandora.

Set-Up: Doppelganger uses (0) Mimic to copy the Sorrows' Link and then links herself to Pandora.

Next Turn:

Doppelganger uses (0) Mimic to copy Pandora's Emotional Trauma and Pandora's Unhealthy Relationship.

The Sorrows, in B2B with the 'ganger now also use the Doppelganger's Mimic to copy Pandora's Emotional Trauma.

Pandora gets herself into position and then takes a walk action. The walk action brings all of her linked friends into B2B.

Pandora causes a WP duel, failing it will cause:

(1) Wd, from Pandora's Emotional Trauma

(1) Wd, from the 'ganger's Emotional Trauma

(#) Wd, from each of the Sorrow's Emotional Trauma

(#) Wd, from each of the Sorrow's Emotional Stress

So if Pandora + 'ganger + (3) Sorrows can get within 3" of their target, the target will take (8) Wds per failed Wp Duel.

Edited by Fetid Strumpet

- Pandoras Emotional Trauma

- Hamelins Nihilism

and one little Tactic I call the "Deathstar":

1. Place Doppelganger in contact with Pandora and as much woes as possible in contact with doppelganger (up to 5)

2. Copy Link from any Model (Sorrow for example)

3. Copy Unhealthy Relationship

4. Due to unhealthy relationship, every model in contact with doppelganger may use his (0) as his own, so use his link to link all 5 models to him.

5. next turn copy link again and link the doppelganger to pandora

6. third turn, time to burn your enemy from existence... copy unhealthy relationship and emotional trauma, every model in contact to doppelganger may now use his mimic and copys pandoras emotional trauma

7. BAM every enemy model that loses now a wp duel within 12" of your deathstar loses 7! yes i said 7 wds due to emotional trauma...

personally i didn't use that tactic up until now and won't until my enemy pushes me to it ;)

Edit: narf, strumpet was faster :/

I've always wanted to try that, but most of the guys cringe when they hear Pandora's name to begin with. I usually leave Doppelganger in an area I expect a large solo model. The enemy sees a rather valuable and (apparently) vulnerable model and attacks, and the look on the other guy's face when she proceeds to tear his dude to peices is priceless. Both Killjoy and Steamborg Executioner have fallen to their own weapons completely caught off guard :-D

Some ideas

Zoraida

Raven (0)- copy Raven, use it as your second (0) then walk x2 for a total of 20" in one activation (with flight).

Bayou two card + difficult spell or nasty attack- if you have a good cardon the top of the discard you can have the doppelganger copy this ability and either a tough spell (maybe obey) or a nasty attack. Since copying doesn't involve a flip the card will still be there for your attack or casting flip.

(as above) Wp 10 + any Wp duel ability.

Lilith

Master of malifaux + ranged attack- Lilith's master fo malifaux allows her to ignore terrain when drawing LOS, but she has no ranged attacks. The doppelganger could correct this oversight to make anywhere a kill zone.

(+1) fast - You trade a (0) for 1 general Ap.

M. Neph

Claws- 4/5/6 damage with a 5Cb and paired. Combine with copying the neph's wk/Cg for a surprise assault.

B. Kade

Lure + higher Wp- needs a crow but can cast 2x if you have them.

Collodi

Living puppet- allows you to have significant dolls in two areas (assuming you copy from collodi who then moves away)

Breathe life- may need to copy a better casting skill, but doing these for collodi frees him up to do other things (or to cast them himself thus affecting more puppets).

Bad Juju

Eternal- I'm not 100% sure this would work but if models retain abilities while out of play it would seem the doppelganger would retain eternal while dead until it triggered.

misc- HTW2, Immune to influence, regen 2, terrify 13, all quite nice and useful under the right circumstances.

Teddy

misc- same as Bad Juju above.

Dreamer

A ghost in malifaux- no damage from pulses, auras, and blasts.

misc- like collodi she can supplement the dreamers bread and butter spells: calm dreams, frightnening dream, although without the triggers. Both are easy to cast.

LCB

terrify 14

Blackblood shaman

Ritual knife- doppelganger has a better Cb than the shaman and while the knife normally does 1/1/1+blast the poison 3 means most enemies will take 7 damage minimum.

Copellius

The dying dream- if she's going to die anyway make it painful.

Nightstalker- in a heavy terrify list spreading around this aura can be evil.

Insidious Madness

Wk/Cg- 8/8 is pretty zippy

Lilith

Master of malifaux + ranged attack- Lilith's master fo malifaux allows her to ignore terrain when drawing LOS, but she has no ranged attacks. The doppelganger could correct this oversight to make anywhere a kill zone.

The only problem is that Doppelganger may not copy ranged weapons... only close combat weapons.

- Pandoras Emotional Trauma

- Hamelins Nihilism

and one little Tactic I call the "Deathstar":

1. Place Doppelganger in contact with Pandora and as much woes as possible in contact with doppelganger (up to 5)

2. Copy Link from any Model (Sorrow for example)

3. Copy Unhealthy Relationship

4. Due to unhealthy relationship, every model in contact with doppelganger may use his (0) as his own, so use his link to link all 5 models to him.

5. next turn copy link again and link the doppelganger to pandora

6. third turn, time to burn your enemy from existence... copy unhealthy relationship and emotional trauma, every model in contact to doppelganger may now use his mimic and copys pandoras emotional trauma

7. BAM every enemy model that loses now a wp duel within 12" of your deathstar loses 7! yes i said 7 wds due to emotional trauma...

personally i didn't use that tactic up until now and won't until my enemy pushes me to it ;)

Edit: narf, strumpet was faster :/

Two things, re Nihilism this won't keep models significant after the game ends as mimic resolves in the end closing phase of the last turn. It's only because it's on the card that Hamelin and Nix benefit from it after the end of the last turn.

Re the ET, bomb -

1. You'll never get it to reliably work with more than three sorrows, and that's a push itself.

2. The DG doesn't have to be in base contact with Pandora, mimic has an 8" range.

3. Don't link the sorrows to the DG as they will kill her as she doesn't have Martyr.

4. Unhealthy relationship only allows WOES to copy 0 actions, don't forget that

5. A dead DG is bad for business, so your opponents will very quickly learn to take he out ASAP.

---

Here's one for you, try using unhealthy relationship to give two sets of twins and pandora (+1)Fast from a Student of Conflict. ;)

Wait a minute!

I've been playing that the mimicked ability only lasts until the closing phase, I thought all effect lasted until the closing phase, how is it that the doppleganger can keep the things it mimics between turns?

Sorry, I think you misundstood. Mimic does resolve in the end closing phase of the turn it's used. What I meant was if you mimic Nihilism in the last turn it would end in the ECP instead of lasting beyond the game.

But through via mimicing nihilism you can fulfil mission objectives and target Hamelin !

-The Doppelganger should be in basecontact to pandora to give you the ability to pull him with her via Link, but you can also use the doppelganger as the bombs carrier and hide him in a building or wood as long as pandora is in sight and range at every turns beginning to giv him and the other woes the possibility to copy emotional Trauma

- i wouldn't use sorrows as the DG will just take dmg all the time, I'd just take every other woe in your crew (Madness, Lelu, Lilithu,...) and with 5 models linked to your ganger you can hide him from your enemy without problems (if he has no blasts ;) )

Wait a minute!

I've been playing that the mimicked ability only lasts until the closing phase, I thought all effect lasted until the closing phase, how is it that the doppleganger can keep the things it mimics between turns?

With (0)Link, it specifies it ends when the model takes a walk action or out of base contact. So, even though the Action is removed at the end of the turn, the Link effect remains.

Wait a minute!

The ability lasts to the closing phase, true.

The effect is not the same thing as the ability though. If ability, like Link, places an effect on the model (Doppelganger), then that effect lasts as long as it says it lasts (or to the Closing Phase, if it doesn't say anything).

Even after ability which placed the effect on the model goes away, the effect still stays as long as the rules allow.

It's the same as placing the effect on another model - that another model also doesn't have the Talent or Spell which placed the effect on it, but it sticks until the time is up.

it does raise the question of what "basic" means in that context...

Any weapon listed on the card is "basic". Simply because such a weapon belongs to a category described in the basic ruleset (page 11, section 7).

I'm not sure what could be given as an example of non-basic weapon? Perhaps Jack Daw's weapons, which cannot work without all the Talents associated with them? Or maybe Weapons created by Spells or Talents, if there are any such Weapons in the game?

Other things I would want to copy:

Any Master's or Henchman's Use Soulstone.

Colette's Soulstone Manipulation.

Lilith or Perdita's Df.

Zoraida's Wp.

Coryphee Duet's Sword Dance.

Von Schill's Augmented Jump.

Taelor's Relic Hammer.

Perdita's or Zoraida's or Hamelin's Obey.

Freikorps Librarian's Rapid Casting and Healing Energy.

Jack Daw's The Oldest of Magics.

Anyone's Fast or Melee Master or Three-Headed.

McMourning's Organ Donor.