Malifaux Raptors

Tiny

How do people find them? What do you find them good for?

Personally i cant seem them good for anything, needing 3 for them to be significant is alot. Easy to wound amongst other things.

I'd personally written them off then i was listening to a podcast and one of the guys on it was saying they were awesome and he was going to get 2 more (he had 2 already). Blew me away.

So how do you find them effective? The guy on the podcast was using marcus if it helps.

I usually use one or 2 (if have spare ss) to turn either SnowSnow and/or Silent one into a beast, then use Myranda to copy their spells (in Marcus crew), which means I can then also heal them and boost Wp if ever needed. After this is done I use them as pain for the opponent, sometimes flying straight into shooters' legs to give me 1 turn without fire on me, or use their melee range to stop a model from charging/moving (they're so good at that since they can fly so far). Also I sometimes use one in the back of the crew to charge Marcus if he ends up in a dodgy melee situation and use Defend me to swap M with a close-by beast; the raptor becomes like an 'extractor' kind of model

:)

When I first saw the Mx Raptor rules I was somewhat underwhelmed. They were cheap, but useless at taking objectives and very limited in their combat potential. But the more I've thought about them, the better I think they are. Especially once I realised that the 40mm base was not a typo. ;)

I haven't used them yet (I've got a clamshell of them arriving this weekend), but I see them being useful in much the same way as poulpox.

For the most part they're great for enraging your own minions, allowing Myranda to cast their spells, to heal them with a Jackalope or to boost their Wp with Marcus. That enrage trigger is probably their most obvious use, but by no means is it their only purpose.

I don't see them having much influence in combat (short of finishing off the odd model) but they should still make for a great distraction to delay key models in your opponents crew. Their movement allows them to get almost anywhere, and with a 40mm base they should be pretty good at blocking charge angles. If you can manage a Defensive stance before positioning them they'll become much harder to shift, and your opponent will probably need to waste good cards on killing a 2 soulstone model.

Finally, being on a 40mm base means they drop two corpse counters. Marcus is no Resurrectionist, but he does have access to the Friekorps Trapper and Blessed of December, both of whom can use those corpses to heal.

Guild crews with Austringers might find some use for the Raptor as a fast blocker, but I think that's about it. I suspect the Watcher will do a much better job in Guild crews for the same cost.

Zoraida can also take the Raptors. While she pays the +1SS for it, I think she'll get much more use out of the corpse counters it leaves than Marcus would. On top of the Freikorps Trapper, Zoraida can also take a Weaver Widow or Blood Shaman. And both of those would greatly value such a cheap supply of corpse counters! :smugpuppet1

When I first saw the Mx Raptor rules I was somewhat underwhelmed. They were cheap, but useless at taking objectives and very limited in their combat potential. But the more I've thought about them, the better I think they are. Especially once I realised that the 40mm base was not a typo. ;)

I haven't used them yet (I've got a clamshell of them arriving this weekend), but I see them being useful in much the same way as poulpox.

For the most part they're great for enraging your own minions, allowing Myranda to cast their spells, to heal them with a Jackalope or to boost their Wp with Marcus. That enrage trigger is probably their most obvious use, but by no means is it their only purpose.

I don't see them having much influence in combat (short of finishing off the odd model) but they should still make for a great distraction to delay key models in your opponents crew. Their movement allows them to get almost anywhere, and with a 40mm base they should be pretty good at blocking charge angles. If you can manage a Defensive stance before positioning them they'll become much harder to shift, and your opponent will probably need to waste good cards on killing a 2 soulstone model.

Finally, being on a 40mm base means they drop two corpse counters. Marcus is no Resurrectionist, but he does have access to the Friekorps Trapper and Blessed of December, both of whom can use those corpses to heal.

Guild crews with Austringers might find some use for the Raptor as a fast blocker, but I think that's about it. I suspect the Watcher will do a much better job in Guild crews for the same cost.

Zoraida can also take the Raptors. While she pays the +1SS for it, I think she'll get much more use out of the corpse counters it leaves than Marcus would. On top of the Freikorps Trapper, Zoraida can also take a Weaver Widow or Blood Shaman. And both of those would greatly value such a cheap supply of corpse counters! :smugpuppet1

OOOH, weaver widow. how bout some 4ss teddies :P

6SS - the Raptors are 3SS each for Zoraida.

Still, a 3SS raptor will go a long way towards making that Teddy, and failing that it also roughly translates to 6SS worth of Wicked Dolls.

Hell no- Rathnards right (as usual!)-just take the one! Zoraida summons V-D and obeys WW to discard cards to gain a corpse counter V-D does the same. Kill the raptor with another model, activate weaver, grab the counters and summon a teddy! Then wicked dolls for the win (supported by either von schill or collodi methinks).

I plan on taking 2 with Marcus to switch him out of combat, and for him to switch wounds onto, using him as a beatstick with the blessed, while night terrors complete my objectives

Edited by McDoogle

I have been thinking about taking them with Z and a goblin taxidermist cause Z cant hire stuffed pigs and piglets are 4ss for Z. With Pere to take out both raptors in one hit with a vd and a dopp you could get 4 stuffed pigs on first turn I believe dont have cards in front of me. That should make for 27ss leave 8ss left for something big maybe lenny who I just made a proxy for. Sorry if this is a little out of faction but others brought up Z.

• 1 month later...

Kind of suprised there is not more talk of the raptor's other trigger.. (mask) do no damage, models controller puts the top 3 cards of their discard pile back to the top of their deck.... Seems you could hit yourself to get back that red joker, or 13 and not cause any models any wounds.

I haven't used the Raptor yet, but I plan to soon. I was just reading up on them again and this stood out to me more.

Does anyone else see this as a plus?

(mask) do no damage, models controller puts the top 3 cards of their discard pile back to the top of their deck.... Seems you could hit yourself to get back that red joker, or 13 and not cause any models any wounds.

Does anyone else see this as a plus?

I haven't thought of using it :)

I guess it's hard to plan to use if the Red Joker is flipped (as you might have already activated your Raptor), easier if you have it in your hand (although you have to make sure Raptor activates right after the current model which might not be possible, and then the discard pile gets too big to retrieve the card you wanted).

I'll give it a try when possible.

What about their flock ability? In a Marcus crew such as this one...

Marcus

2 - aMark

20 - 4 Silurids

8 - 4 Raptors

...after avataring (play it conservative until then), you can activate your entire crew for a vicious alpha strike (we're looking at a 9-model activation before your opponent gets to go!). Has anyone tried this to good effect? Not the greatest setup in the world, but I can certainly imagine it would be fun (remember, the raptors would have a Cb of 5 with the avatar, so that's a little better)