Measuring Auras

magicpockets

Question

11 answers to this question

We generally check when the effect might come into play. If a model is getting shot at and such. Normally we only measure to the area in question and don't try to use it as a cheap way to get a free measurement. I think if you use discretion and some common sense most times there shouldn't be an issue.

Here is how we play it.

1) you can measure your melee range on your turn. But not mid-movement.(rule some place)

2) If trying to avoid terror and walk near it you need to show you path, then measure the range of you opponents melee range. We usually put a base at the spot where the terror check would have been and then check. Usually when trying to sneak between model and a building.

3) obscuring auras where you can only see 3 inches into it. Ask your opponent if you can see the target, then you can't agree check range, then declare actions, this is usually for a range shot where you need to have LOS to declare the actions.

4) Boosts Like Ice Gamin: Declare your action, and just before the flip, you check if you get the bonus.

5) Penalties like Jack Daw: only check when in a situation where you would like to cheat/use soulstone.

I was under the impression from previous Rules Marshalls' Postings, although I admit I could be wrong, that you could check your models melee range and auras at anytime.

Ratty made that ruling by mistake apparently, here's a thread I found (I know, search before posting... search before posting...)

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22153

Sorry for the thread rez, but just to clarify:

An aura gives friendly models within 3 inches a bonus to CB. When one of the friendly models wants to perform a strike, this sounds like the range of the aura can't be checked until the strike action is declared, correct? So the range can't be checked and then the player decide to go forward with the strike or move to within the aura.